Athletics Wichita/Run Wichita
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 58s
Overall Rank = 11/578
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up real early as usual. Didn't eat right away as I had 500 things on my mind. Left the house about 6:15. Stopped by the local store to pick up a Sunday paper. Finally got the cereal bar down about 6:30 once I got on the road to Wichita. Arrived at the event plenty early, thats the way I like to do it.
Event warmup:

Jogged around Riverside Park twice then made my way to the start. Do you really need to warm up for a thirteen mile race?
Run
  • 1h 24m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Having been around the Wichita running community long enough I know who I should start out with. Only one of the usual suspect was there, a guy named Michael. So I settled into pace with him.
Went through the first mile at 6:15. A little fast but darn close to where I should be. Michael, Myself and a guy named Rich settled into a very comfortable pace. The miles seemed to go by fast because we were talking the whole time.
At the turn around Rich jumped on us a little and got about a 20 sec lead on us. I have run with Michael enough times that he knows I can't run and drink at the same time. He is good about slowing down at the aid stations so I can take water or whatever.
At the 8 mile mark one of the local college coaches jumped in with us and said he would pace us on in. Coach K if you see this you are a god send!!! He was wearing a Garmin so I kept asking him if we were staying on pace. We were.
Getting close to the 12 mile mark I could feel a knot start to develop in my stomach. It wasn't long and I had to make a stop to deliver some street pizza. While I was on one knee relaxing two guys managed to get by me. It didn't take long and I was back running and found my pace fairly quickly. I felt great after the stop.
Managed to pass Rich with about a half mile left only to have him pass me with a killer sprint to the line. I have never had a good kick. After crossing the finish line I wanted to find Michael and see what time he finished in...1:24:00. So I lost 58 seconds while losing my lunch. If I would have managed to keep pace I would have had a PR
What would you do differently?:

Taper, Not do a 40 mile ride the day before. This isn't the race I want so I didn't taper and am training through it.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged to the truck to get some dry clothes. Got some water and Gatorade in me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fact that this isn't an A race. Deliverance of Street Pizza.

Event comments:

Since starting triathlons last year there is nothing like race morning of a big tri. But I still love Run Wichita races. Yes you read it right 11th overall but 5th in my age group. How come I can go to Springfield/Joplin for a race and clean up and here in town I can't buy an award. I know that the AG competition around here is second to none!

Last updated: 2007-09-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:24:58 | 13.1 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/28
Overall: 11/578
Performance: Good
Course: Race started at Riverside Park. It joins the bike path along the Arkansas River (pronounced AR Kansas). Out and bike along the river.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-23 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: Johnston's Wichita Half Marathon

2007-09-23 8:20 PM
in reply to: #975879

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Johnston's Wichita Half Marathon
You freaking rock, that is all I have to say. That, and the phrase 'deliverance of Street Pizza' had me laughing for a few minutes.

2007-09-24 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Johnston's Wichita Half Marathon
Way to run! Maybe you aren't paying anough money for that time, a little bribe can always knock off minutes right?

Oh and ask Lisa what she first thought Street Pizza was...
2007-09-26 12:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Johnston's Wichita Half Marathon Rss Feed