United States
Granite State Wheelmen
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 27m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Unfortunately, my "pre-ride" started with a terrible night's sleep. The two-bit motel I stayed at had very uncomfortable beds, and the room next to mine was full of college-age guys who were out on the balcony talking and drinking all night. Plus, there was a steady flow of motorcycles coming and going from the "biker bar" across the street. I slept off-and-on until about 2:00am, when I was woke up to a deafening roar of bikes (apparently they close at 2:00am). I had a headache from (1) not drinking enough water after the ride and (2) drinking beer with dinner. So, I filled one of my water bottles that had Heed powder in it and drank that with some Advil before going back to sleep.

I had already packed my gear on Saturday night, so I set my alarm for 6:00am, checked out of the motel, threw my stuff in the car, and set off in search of some breakfast. The best I could find was a small Dunkin' Donuts at a gas station, so with my coffee roll and Diet Coke I headed over to the state park. I wanted to give my breakfast a little bit of time to settle, so I sat in the car listening to my latest workout mix on CD before heading out on the bike.
Bike
  • 3h 27m 11s
  • 58.8 miles
  • 17.03 mile/hr
Comments:

For today, I had planned on doing the 50 mile loop, but on the way back I decided that I would do the additional 9-mile loop from the 100-mile course (without knowing how long it was) so that I would at least reach my goal of riding 200k for the weekend.

For the first part of the ride I felt OK, but by the time I turned around at mile 25 my head was starting to hurt again. By the time I finished, my head hurt so badly that I could hardly hold it up when riding on my aero bars. But, it was so windy coming back along the coast that I just had to suck it up and get as low on the bars as possible. I had started the ride thinking that I was not going to worry about pace, but on the way back I was so close to 17 mph that I decided to try and push a bit to maintain that pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Once I got back to the state park I packed up my bike and gear and headed home. I got home just after 12:30pm, so I grabbed some lunch and then sat in the hot tub for a bit to soak my sore neck and shoulders.

Last updated: 2007-03-26 12:00 AM
Biking
03:27:11 | 58.8 miles | 17.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The course is pretty much an out-and-back loop along the coastline of New Hampshire and Maine, making up rides of 25, 50 and 63 miles (100k). For the full 100 miles, they tack on a 19-mile loop at the start that goes south into Massachusetts, a 9-mile loop at the top that goes further into Maine, and an additional 9-mile loop on the way back to Hampton Beach. Overall it's a nice course, with the only drawback being that there are two bridges that have to be walked over (with police on-hand to make sure you do) for a total of four crossings. The bridges aren't too long, but I found that after walking over them my legs were really stiff and it took a few miles to get back up to speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right