Ocean Community YMCA
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 49s
Overall Rank = 40/158
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Panic drill. I planned on leaving at 7:00 AM. We got a new kitten on Friday; I had to catch her for her to use the litter box. After being mangled, cleaning the scratches and cleaning the litter box; it's 7:20. Of course I get stuck behing a Sunday driver on the way there. I arrive at just before 8 with an 8:30 start. I panic set up transition and hope I got it right (I did), grab my race bag and pull on the wetsuit. After realizing my leg doesnt belong in the arm sleeve, it fits much better.
Event warmup:

I walk the 1/2 mile down the beach, swim a little to get wet and wait the few minutes for the start. My goggles actually hold water, but this is the last time for them.
Swim
  • 18m 1s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Navigation was tough, the water was surprisingly calm.
What would you do differently?:

Not much; Very un-eventful swim. I'm still not perfectly comfortable in a wetsuit, but I think this one doesn't fit right. It really constricts my chest, but fits OK elsewhere.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

MUCH better experience with this wetsuit (a $35 job lot closeout) this time. I practiced last week and it helped for familiarity. I had the cap and goggles stuck in the arm (or so I thought). A bit of stuck on the heels, but not much.
Bike
  • 46m 45s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Not certain about the rankings as many bike times are included as T1. I took 1:00 for my T1 time from the posted results. I felt great on the bike today. I did miss the bottle cage and drop my bottle. I squeezed it next to the frame, stopped, inserted it and took off again. 15sec tops lost here.

Not much. Maybe an aero bottle I don't need to pull a bottle from a cage?
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

NP. Belt on was OK, but when I looked for the gel, it wasn't there. I must have dropped it. Time is a guess since I didn't get a bike only split.

Figure out how to hold onto the gels.
Run
  • 24m 8s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good about MY run, but 11/14 age group isn't too good. Oh well, I can control me and, for me, I ran well. The time is PR for triathlon running, I did neg splits and finished with nothing in the tank. Another in my group passed me before mile 1, he stopped to answer the call of nature, passed me again after that. I passed him with 1/2 mile left in the race, so my run went as I hoped with closing speed. Even at Max HR, I felt strong.

Get the time down even better. Winter added mileage and maybe some track work will improve my running.
Post race
Warm down:

Clean up the transition area, can't find my goggles for the life of me. On the ride home, I realize I forgot T-shirt pick up pre-race :-(

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need better breathing / properly fitting wetsuit. More run training.

Event comments:

I'll be back for certain. Nice, low-key community feel to the race.

results at: http://www.roadntracksports.com/RaceResults/Ocean_City_Tri_2007.htm...

Last updated: 2007-09-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:01 | 880 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 62/158
Performance: Average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: An out, return to transition and in rectangle course. Buyos are way too small and one is straight into horizon sunlight. Navigation is horribly difficult.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:45 | 16 miles | 20.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 15/158
150-160 throughout. Nice and steady.
Wind: Some
Course: Oval course of 8 miles each. All right turns. Some more animated marshalling would make me more confident I'm clear at the intersections.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:08 | 03 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 77/158
Pegged to 174 with 1 mile to go and didn't drop, 165 for mile 1.5
Course: Out and back on Atlantic Ave. Flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-23 7:21 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: Ocean Community YMCA Triathlon

2007-09-23 8:34 PM
in reply to: #975929

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Ocean Community YMCA Triathlon

Nice job!       

Wish I knew about this event.  It probably would have been a good one for me to do since I missed my target tris for this year.

2007-09-23 9:23 PM
in reply to: #975929

North Scituate, RI
Way to go Dave. I was there also. Looking at the stats, I was 3 guys to the front. 1:31:14.
What a perfect weather day. Would of been nice if they split that first wave of all guys into a couple
of smaller groups. Got hammered on the first bouy and the lack of additional markers before the last
bouy caused the field to weave in and out. But overall, thought this was a great way to wrap up the summer.
Water was still quite comfortable.
Work on that run a little bit and enjoy that age group. Next one may not be any better.
Ray
2007-09-24 6:23 AM
in reply to: #976002

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
dredwards - 2007-09-23 9:34 PM

Nice job!       

Wish I knew about this event.  It probably would have been a good one for me to do since I missed my target tris for this year.

Hope you've healed up well. I surveyed the crowd on the off chance you were there, but....

This was nice, low key type of "ready, steady, go" type racing instead of the huge production type. Both are good, but have their strengths. Smaller than the spring Mystic tri, but similar. If you like flat and fast, this is your race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ocean Community YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed