United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 25m 41s
Overall Rank = 47/146
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

I ran the kids' 1-mile race with my daughter. Son placed third male with a time of 7:29 (improved from 7:52 last year) and daughter placed 2nd female with time of 8:55 (improved from 9:27 last year). Daughter had cramps and had to walk two brief segments. So, I got a warm-up run of 8:55 for a mile. Sweet!
Run
  • 25m 41s
  • 3.15 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I started a little faster than last year, and boy, did I feel it when I got to the hill. I definitely slowed down on the hill but still passed someone on the hill. After things sorted themselves out in the first half mile, there was not much more passing. Some high-school girls and boys passed me on the downhill. One 52-year old woman passed me, and I asked her age. When I found out she was not in my age category, I decided to just let her go. But actually, I paced off her for the rest of the race. She beat me by 10 seconds.

Of course, the pressure was on me since I won my age category last year. I was there to defend my title! Overall, I was 1 second slower than last year. This surprised me since I felt like I worked harder. Or maybe memory faded of the effort of last year.

I was 7th woman overall out of 74 racers. I was 2.5 minutes behind the winning woman who ran it in 23:12. That is a lot of time.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. At the turnaround, they were handing out full cups of water. I cannot handle a full cup, so I tried to dump half, but I accidently dumped about 90% of it. I wished I had some more water, and that was preying on my mind. Running is so mental for me.

I bargained with myself - if I saw a monarch butterfly, I would sprint at the end. I didn't see a butterfly so I did not sprint (it only gains me a second or two). But as soon as I finished, my daughter ran over to tell me a monarch butterfly had landed on her a few minutes earlier. Not sure what that means, but it must mean something!
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed some water, cheered on our friends. Then tried 5 different chili's!

Event comments:

Love this race! So nice to run on a beautiful fall day with the foliage just starting to get pretty. The run is along a lake and there are beautiful old houses along the route.

I won a nice messenger bag donated by New Balance. For winning my age category, I got a nice medal and a half-pint of local maple syrup. Yum.

Photo 1 = Me pushing to the end. All my photos show me looking pretty flat-footed and slow. I never seem to float like other runners!
Photo 2 = Me winning the door prize. I look thrilled
Photo 3 = Me passing a guy on the long uphill. Photos always make the terrain look flat.
Photo 4 = Me pacing my daughter for her 1-mile run. Yay!
Photo 5 = Hubby pacing son for his 1-mile run. Go!

Hubby ran the 5k is abt 22:47. He doesn't even train for running! But that was not good enough to place - he was 5th in his age catgory, 25th overall. He, too, was one second slower than last year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-09-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:41 | 03.15 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 0/146
Performance: Good
avg HR = 164 overall, 161 for run out, and 169 for return run. I ran 11:41 to halfway mark (mostly downhill) and abt 14 minutes for return run (uphill).
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 7:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: Waterford Fall Foliage Classic

2007-09-24 1:31 PM
in reply to: #976272

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Waterford Fall Foliage Classic

Competition is so much fun! You crack me up asking that lady how old she was!  Great job, I am looking forward to running again.

2007-09-27 7:44 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I too can't believe you asked how old that women was....if it was a tri you'd know

Glad you were able to pace off her and defend your title!

The butterfly meant you are always supposed to sprint to the finish, no? 

I want to run like you....great job congrats on the win and the sweet award!

2007-09-28 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Congratulations on the win!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Waterford Fall Foliage Classic Rss Feed