General Discussion Race Reports! » F3Events @ Dorney Lake Classic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

F3Events @ Dorney Lake Classic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dorney, Berkshire
United Kingdom
F3 Events
22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 46s
Overall Rank = 93/277
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well as this was supposed to be a family day out this involved getting all 3 of us up, fed and ready to go. Luckily the race wasn't due to start till 11:00, so we didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn. Arrived at the race site at 9:30 and went to get registered. Headed back to the car to pick up the bike etc. and discovered I'd forgotten my bike shoes. Doh! I was ready to chuck it in right there, but Sandra, bless her, calmed me down and I decided to do it anyway and to ask around if anyone had a spare pair of shoes. I even got the event commentator to put out a call on the PA. Amazingly one of the girls working at the race had her MTB shoes in her car and guess what, they were exactly the same as mine, albeit 2 sizes bigger. Now I felt much better, but was running a little late, so had to rush and set up transition quickly and squeeze in to the hired wetsuit. Still I was ready on time and feeling ok.
Event warmup:

Well I guess running around like a lunatic counts as a warmup.
Swim
  • 24m 58s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well that was .......interesting. 300 of us going off at the same time. I put myself up near the front and it was actually ok. Just a bit of contact. Nothing major. I hadn't swum in a wetsuit before or indeed in open water and never mind in a big bunch of people, so it was a steep learning curve. My navigation wasn't that good. Missed the first turn buoy and had to come back a bit but overall I'm pleased with this. Just tried to take it steady and it worked out fine.
What would you do differently?:

This is easy: Train and do more, ok any, open water swims.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Was a bit wobbly coming out of the water, so didn't really run. Had the suit half off by the time I got to my bike. Sat down and got the rest off and put my shoes on. They are MTB shoes so easy to run in. Helmet on, belt on, grabbed the bike and went.

Not much. Not worth having the shoes clipped in as they are MTB shoes and easy to run in. I overtook a bunch of people fudging with their shoes at the beginning of the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 21s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Really enjoyed the bike leg. It was flat on closed roads/paths with the smoothest tarmac ever. It was very windy though but mostly from the side, so not too bad. I kept it at a steady 20 mph throughout and felt like I was working but not too hard. I think it was a little longer than 40K but I'll wait and see what others say. I know my computer said 20.1 mph average but I forgot to stop it at the end, so I'll take the 19.79. I had great fun with the couple of sharp turns on the route and with 300 people on a 5 Km circuit, all my bike commuter skills were put to good use. I was worried I was going to tire, as I haven't done any longer rides for a while, but I felt fine throughout and started overtaking people who had come by me earlier. It helped having Sandra and Jasper there to cheer me on and it was great for me and them to pass by them 8 times. They cheered so much, the guy on the PA mentioned the big cheer for Daddy on 2 occasions. Nice. I took in an SIS gel on lap 4 on drank a bottle of SIS PS22 taking a big sip every lap.

Remember to bring bike shoes! Although the borrowed ones worked out great. I'd also like a second bottle with plain water on the bike as the stomach doesn't like the sports drink too much.
Transition 2
  • 00m 24s
Comments:

Not sure the time for this is right. I must have taken longer. My left hip flexor thought about cramping, as I bent down to change shoes but decided not to.

Take bike shoes off on bike.
Run
  • 52m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Ouch! My legs were like wtf starting the run. Several calls went off to the engine room but no response. I had a bad side stitch and stomach cramps. I thought about walking, but some stubborn Donkey EEEEAAAWWWW'd inside me and kept me going. Lots of people overtook me and I overtook no one. Then about half way through some mojo came back and I picked up the pace a little and started overtaking some of the people that had overtaken me, I still felt rough though and the stitch was going nowhere. Once again Sandra and Jasper cheered for me big time on every lap. After the turn for home on the final lap I tried pushing as best I could and brought it home at a decent pace. I nearly lost my balance and had to regain my composure after crossing the line. I had certainly given it everything and it was great to have Sandra & Jasper there waiting for me.

Train a lot more. I'm a bad runner, so I know what I'll be doing in the off season. Also some plain water on the bike would have helped with the stomach issues.
Post race
Warm down:

A can of coke and a large piece of cake. That's what I call a warmdown.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and experience at this distance.

Event comments:

This was a great, well run event at a great venue. Dorney Lake is where the rowing competitions will be for the 2012 Olympics and the facilities are great. The lake is artificial and very clean, the paths/roads surrounding it are closed and very smooth. OK maybe the lap format is a bit boring but I really enjoyed it and it was very spectator friendly. Sandra and Jasper had a blast watching me and I had a blast doing the race, so what more can you ask for. I'll be back next year and the 2:30 OLY will be mine.

Last updated: 2007-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:58 | 1640 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/277
Performance: Average
Suit: Aquasphere
Course: Rectangular.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:21 | 24.85 miles | 19.79 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: A loop round the rowing lake. 8 Laps. Very flat apart from 3 little bridges, but very windy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:53 | 06.21 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop up and down the side of the lake. Had to do 3 loops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK
Subject: F3Events @ Dorney Lake Classic Triathlon

2007-09-25 9:00 AM
in reply to: #976343

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: F3Events @ Dorney Lake Classic Triathlon
Great race Jens, and yeah, nutrition will be much more important the longer you go.  Experimentation in training is key.  Just so ya know (your stomach kinda told ya already), gels need to be washed down with lots of water and like you said, water to wash down the sports drink or dilute the sugars in the stomach will help a lot.  I did think it said SIS the first time I read the report. Yikes!  Anywho, awesome job on the first one at the distance.  EEEEEAAWWWW!!!!
2007-09-25 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Nice one Congratulations on a great race, you had fun so what more could you have asked for

Now on another note !! How small are your feet ?????????’

2007-09-25 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
A donkey's recipe for success:

Swim: wearing wet suit for first time
Bike: wearing some girl's mountain bike shoes (they wern't pink were they? )
Run: dicey stomach

Great race and way to overcome the challenges. Eeeeeeeeaaaaaaawwwwww!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » F3Events @ Dorney Lake Classic Triathlon Rss Feed