United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 35s
Overall Rank = 2/111
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/16
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30 for a drive to the course. Arrived at the race and registered since I didn't decide to do this race until Friday and not 100% sure until that morning :) Racked my bike and went on a short warm-up bike ride.. This time nobody had the opportunity to steal my bike rack :). Chatted a bunch with our rack-mates (who turned out to be pretty darn fast - one guy won the race) and hanging out with Tink and the kids.
Event warmup:

Short bike ride- maybe 2 miles
Swim
  • 13m 14s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was the first pink cap at the start of the race. Pretty cool to be out in front... But since I don't train I was eventually passed by a few - but I was close behind. Course didn't have enough buoys and I did get punched in the face by and incoming swimmer in a previous wave since we were both off course towards the center of the thin rectangle. The water was NASTY and full of reeds/seaweed/grass/nastiness. I took the swim pretty easily after the start and just did my "long distance" pace.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe swim a bit more (train more). And site. This is the first race in awhile where I was out in front of the whole wave by several bodylengths and actually had to site the first 200 yds.
Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

AWESOME transition!! Last year it took me 4 minutes and change. Includes a sizeable run from the water. You could put your shoes right outside the swim and I left my trusty crocs that I could "slip right into" ;)Took the wetsuit off and was off running. Damn the HR I just kept passing people. That was fun. Once in transition I hustled out with the shoes on the bike. All I had to do was put my helmet on and I was off running. I saw Tink and I she was saying something about 2nd.. Not sure what she was saying. I just stuck my tongue out at her and kept going.
2/111 Overall
1/16 AG

Absolutely nothing.
Bike
  • 49m 26s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Wowsers. I started hammering as soon as I saw the 14-year-old on a road bike with sneakers ahead of me (apparently the lead female). Passed her on the first hill and was HAMMERING. Never rode like that before. My HR was sustained upper 170s low 180s. The whole ride. And I was passing guys at a very fast rate. Only maybe 5-10 guys passed me and I probably passed 30ish. One in particular was not happy with this at all. I would pass him and he would draft off of me (I could hear him huffing and puffing) and then he would sling-shot past me. Then I would repass him and he would suddenly speed-up. Ha!
I also did some passing back and forth from one of our rack mates - a 51 year old who just did CDA. He is awesome to race with. What a really cool guy.
The whole time I was so close to bonking and puking. The 5k I did the day before was kicking my as$. But I kept hammering.
It was fun because alot of the volunteers noticed I was the first female and were cheering for me and I would give a hoot and holler back.

At this point I didn't care if I had to walk the run - I just hammered! Actually I was pretty sure that walking the run was going to be a real possibility! As I came into the park I saw the lead male on the run. And then there was NO ONE for maybe 3/4 of a mile. So weird.. Looked for Doc and didn't see him running. Weird.

Nothing. The bike is fun!
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Saw Tink and was so excited! The crowd got excited as I was still in 1st place! Racked my bike super quick - didn't notice that the rack was particularly empty and started sprinting out of transition
20/111 overall (oops shouldn't sit down to put shoes on)
2/16

Nothing
Run
  • 25m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow - I started hurting badly really quickly! Ouch ouch ouch! And my HR/breathing was near-hyperventilation mode! I was about 2 mins into the run when the second female was coming in on the bike and the volunteer yelled "You are in second there is the first place female" while pointing at me! Oh sh1t I better get moving! About a minute I see Doc coming in on the bike. Poor guy was up out of the aerobars chatting and not even racing. All I said was "what the hell?". Then I kept running and running as hard as I could. Up the first hill I met a SD triclub guy and of course I asked him "are you in the Navy" and of course he was. He pulled me along for the next 1/2 mile before I couldn't keep up with him anymore. The first big downhill I picked up the pace so I could rest before the next uphill.
The course had a short out and back before a left turn on some trails/non paved roads (new this year). On this out and back I saw the girl who was catching me and knew that she would catch me (really good runner). I just made the left turn and heard Doc yell my name. Yes - he would catch me too. But I didn't see any other women so thats good. Right after that the guy on the mtn bike showed up and said "there you are I was looking for you". Sweet!! I get the mtn biker since I am in first! Awesome!

The girl ended up catching me around mile 2.5 and she FLEW past. I was ok with this - I was expecting to be passed by MANY but ended up running a solid 5k - for me. On her way past she informed me that she would be dq'd because she wasn't wearing a race belt. I didn't know it then but the rule is a 2 min penalty in the sprint. Then I heard Doc yelling my name and I "let" him catch me and ran into the finish :)

Nothing. I ran until I wanted to puke - and then ran harder. So happy to have my killer instinct on the run back.

Loved racing with the BTers.. Newleaf, Doc, and LCS... And having Tink and the kids there was just awesome! Afterwards we partied it up with beer, smirnoff ice and hotdogs/hamburgers! What a great day!

Ended up (after the other girls penalty) in second place because a 39-year-old in the wave after me beat me by :45.
Post race
Warm down:

None - but I did some jogging and felt fine. Absolutely fine.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running a 5k all out the day before. No taper.

Event comments:

Last year this race was awesome. This year - not so much. Pissed that some people were directed off of course. This apparently happened several times. That just sucks. The price of the race was not worth it (95 bucks since I signed up so last minute). And they sent the awards to the wrong place so nobody got any awards...

That being said I am going back next year because I like the venue.

Last updated: 2007-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:14 | 820 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 4/111
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Out and back - with way too few buoys
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:04
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:26 | 16 miles | 19.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 3/111
Wind: Some
Course: Have no clue - just followed the Cops direction :(
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:46 | 03.11 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 20/111
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 8:52 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: General Smallwood Triathlon

2007-09-24 8:58 AM
in reply to: #976391

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: General Smallwood Triathlon

Loved reading your RR...  gave a good sense of what it's like to be at the FOP and racing for 1st.  Enjoyed living vicariously through it. 

You were no doubt one of the pink caps that blew past me on the swim.    Hope it wasn't me who clocked you in the face.  

Great race... you were flying!!! 

Agreed about the venue.  Will see you there next year. 

2007-09-24 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Kick A$$ race!

You did so well - who knew I have been training with such a superstar. Great race - you hammered the bike and your run split was almost as fast as your open 5K the day before.

Next year you will have to come back and win this race. The run program you are doing should really help get drop your time and I am scared to see what you will ever be able to do if you practiced swimming more than once a month! Talk about natural talent....

Great race and nice race report!!!!
2007-09-24 9:37 AM
in reply to: #976430

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

So that's what it feels like to be at the front of the race in a tri field!!!  That rocks!!

Congrats on kicking serious azz and pulling in the overall hardware!!

2007-09-24 10:39 AM
in reply to: #976476

User image

Pro
Reston

I took the swim pretty easily after the start and just did my "long distance" pace = 1:37 pace.

Bite me. 

Awesome race!

2007-09-24 10:50 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Great job on 2nd overall! That is really awesome!

2007-09-24 10:58 AM
in reply to: #976588

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Two things I'll never experience:

1) being at the front and,

2) "I ran until I wanted to puke - and then ran harder." 

Well done. Studette!

2007-09-24 11:31 AM

Veteran
Somehow, in al lthe post-race excitement, I never got an autograph! Sweet FOP race - I accept my lumps of getting beaten by a girl. Next time I'll make sure to put some pricker balls in your running shoes ;-) . Great job, and great after race celebration! ~ Joe
2007-09-24 12:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Shelly, all I can say is WOW!  You rock! 

I wish I had stuck around so I could have met you and all the other BTers with Joe & Regina, but hubby was not feeling well so we had to bolt.  Hopefully, I can meet you at another race in the future. 

Laurie

2007-09-24 6:55 PM

It was so awesome to watch you be the first woman in Transition from the swim AND after the bike - I loved cheering for you yesterday and admire your athleticism always. Great DAY! OOO Tink
2007-09-24 7:25 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
GREAT RACE MICHELLE!!!!  WOW.  Way to bring home some hardware. 

2007-09-25 11:27 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

AWESOME!!!  Way to push it all the way through to the end!

Lookin' forward to some more FAST racing from you next season! 

2007-09-25 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

You studette!!! Now, that's how you race! Forget all the HR and LT crap, and go right to the PT (Puke Threshold)! 

What a feeling that must have been to be leading the race.  Awesome, awesome race. Make room for yet another trophy on the mantle. 

2007-09-25 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Michelle,

Congrats on a great race!  That was a great pace especially for having run a 5k the day before.  Bummer about the awards but it must have felt great leading the race.

Ernie 

2007-09-26 9:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'm glad to see you have your competitve spirit back...man you pushed hard and kept on pushing.

Awesome splits....great race!

Congrats...and no taper?!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » General Smallwood Triathlon Rss Feed