United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 25s
Overall Rank = 50/157
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at a relaxing 6am hour, and had some morning Cup 'o Joe and a piece of bread. I continued really hammering the fluids, since I had felt dehydrated for the last two days. Pretty sure that I was ready for the race in that department. Since I did packet pickup the day prior, I got to really be a slacker in the morning, arriving at the race site at around 7:30am. Ah, the joys of local races!
Event warmup:

Took an easy jog for about .5 mi, then did pickups to get my heartrate up. Probably a total of about 1 mi.
Swim
  • 16m 16s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Just didn't get into the groove on this one. after rounding the far bouy, I spotted incorrectly and ended up crossing the course to round one of the earlier bouys - my dumb mistake. So I headed back the correct bouy to avoid any possibility of DQ, and pressed on. That little detour added about 150 yards to the swim, I'm guessing.
What would you do differently?:

Sight the course correctly - duh!
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

LONG T1 run from swim to transition - we actually ended up leaving footwear at the swim exit to put on for the ~250+ meter jog. I think I passed at least 8 people taking their sweet ole time during T1, so that redeemed the swim a bit in my own mind. Had some issues getting my wetsuit off, and should have stripped it off immediately after the water exit, vice running with it on to T1. God, that thing gets hot QUICK!

Take the wetsuit off as soon as possible. Otherwise, just HUSTLE more!
Bike
  • 52m 46s
  • 16.4 miles
  • 18.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I refuse to complain about my bike performance. I know it sucked for my personal internal standards, but until I come to terms with my own discipline and train on the bike as I should, then I'm not going to point to any shortfall here except for my lack of training. The buck must stop with this race - I cannot push through the bike segment competitively on heart alone if I want to compete at the level my ego wants to be at!

Nothing - executed the bike segment as fast as the legs were conditioned for.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

T2 seems a little slow for me compared to my norm, but I really don't have anything to specificly point out - again, just need a couple more ounces of HUSTLE!

nothing.
Run
  • 22m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good on this run. Quite honestly, I should have dropped the hammer ALOT earlier than I did; As soon I completed the big hill climb, I should have begun the pace pickup at that point, but I think I waited until about mile 2ish to really start pushing. I wasn't passed at all on the run, and took at least 10 people during the course. Again, I had more to give on this one.

Begin the push earlier. I keep forgetting how short sprint runs are!
Post race
Warm down:

Really didn't warm down much at all, beyond the GREAT company of all of our wonderful BT friends at a cookout! I'm not sure if Killians counts as a recovery drink or not - I'll have to check out my nutrition references. After breaking down transition, the party continued for another 14 hours!! I love our new BT friends, specifically in attendance were docswim24, shelly123, klgray, newleaf, tink and myself, along with a Scouting friend of mine (Sue) who raced, and plenty of supporting family members. BTW, Sue, when are you joining BT again? ;-) I think the after-race fun trumped the race fun by a longshot for me on this one!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to get serious on my bike and brick training - I can see the potential, but just not doing the time required to build the base fitness high enough. Only myself to blame - but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Family life is pretty darn busy!

Event comments:

Well-run race. I think there was a need for more race volunteers on the bike course, and too mush reliance of the police officers manning intersections to direct athletes. A good friend was robbed of an AG place finish due to an officer errantly waving him through a turning intersection, adding 5.2 miles to his bike segment and completely taking him out of contention. I won't call him out by name as it's water under the bridge now, but it certainly negated a very good effort that could have been avoided.

Last updated: 2007-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:16 | 820 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/23
Overall: 60/157
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: A clock-wise loop in some pretty interesting water; due to TONS of seaweed growing off the bottom of the river, you felt like soem sort of sea monster coming out. I repeatedly got tangled in the weeds with my hands - certainly an interesting experience.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:46 | 16.4 miles | 18.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 81/23
Overall: 13/157
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Single loop with rolling hills. A couple of respectable climbs in there as well.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:19 | 03.11 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 27/157
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back with one long, decent hill to climb in the first mile. The last two miles were on a mix of gravel and rock paths and pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 11:13 AM

Veteran
Subject: General Smallwood Triathlon

2007-09-24 11:18 AM
in reply to: #976647

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: General Smallwood Triathlon
Joe - nice RR and good race. 7:11 pace on the run is very very solid and the bike course was NOT flat.

Looking forward to hanging out more and doing more races together! Killians does count as an official recovery drink or at least it should.

2007-09-24 11:28 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Hey - I think you had an excellent race!! Don't be so hard on yourself.. You had an excellent run and had fun passing people left and right. I would give anything to be able not get schooled in the run everytime I do a tri!

And how fun is it to wear your race number/trisuit until 7PM in the evening after a sprint race!

2007-09-24 11:35 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

yes... what Shelly said... you had a great race... super run pace, and I think your bike pace was better than you posted, my computer had the bike at 16.4 miles.  I hear you on more time in the saddle, but don't forget, you do have your priorities in line.  It's all a balancing act. 

Great to see you and the family! 

2007-09-24 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Great race report, Joe.  You rock!  I would take your bike and run splits any day! 

It was great seeing you and your family again.  I'm really sorry we couldn't stay.  Kenny was really hurting, daughter had a soccer game, and I had to drive the college kid back to school in the middle of Redskins traffic.  I never got to rest the entire afternoon, but I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Laurie

2007-09-24 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA

Great race and a really fantastic run.

Just as an independent confirmation, I agree with newleaf, my bike computer also gave me 16.4 miles for the race.

2007-09-24 6:54 PM

Always fun being your cheerleader - another great family event. You should be proud of a fabulous run to top off this race!
2007-09-25 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

Great race, Joe.  Always nice to finish with a strong run! Great job.

Sounds like the race was just an excuse to drink Wink May have to put it on my calendar for next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » General Smallwood Triathlon Rss Feed