Red Rock Co.
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 49s
Overall Rank = 227/564
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 19/35
Pre-race routine:

As per usual: I woke up late, had some toast w/ peanut butter & honey, a bannana, and chuged an Accelarade. Woke up Micha, Denyse and my dog Lucky and headed out of the house. It was Lucky's responsibility to grab the Aero Bottle and wouldn't you know she forgot it on the kitchen counter, so I was forced to use the water bottle. No big deal. Made it with plenty of time got set up, took some pictures, signed some autographs, dodges some paparatzi's... wait back to the race
Event warmup:

Peeing in the water to warm up...J/K...
Just did some streaching, and relaxing to calm the jitters. Jumped in the lake and swam a little along with some treading water.
Swim
  • 17m 8s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't want to take off too fast or get in the group and get kicked all over the place. My stradgy was wait and let them get tired fighting eachother. I got going and decieded to focus on sighting every 5th stroke and no head up other than that. It worked out pretty well, I was in about mid pack at the first turn and caught a lot of traffic on the inside of the bouy. It was really congested on the first turn, but got out of the pack and cut to the inside of the group to the next bouy. Not as many people at the second bouy and cut the inside corner close and was off. When I was sighting I saw the Orange bouy and the last Yellow bouy off to the right, but the third bouy was hidden behind the orange (out of view). I'm gussing that othe swimmers saw the same and started trying to cut across the lake diagonal. This posed a problem because people were now cross cutting me. All I can say was for ONCE that wasn't me. Had the occosianal few that would try to swim over the top, nibble on toes, or make an attempt to sprint past me only to fall short of breath and stop in front of me. I made a small press at the end, but I've neved had to exit on the steps so I wanted to make sure I wasn't dead at the end. I think the guy helping pull people out underestimated my weight and I almost pulled him into the water... That would have been fun. Never the less, I was out and off to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Either press to the front for the first turn or take it wide and let everyone else crowd the corner. Ohh, and not eat the sushi offered at the swim aid station.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I had an advantage by being stationed at the end bike rack and having Micah and Denyse flaging me to the general direction. Said hi to my crownd, gave smooch to the girl and belly rub to the pooch sucked down a GUE and was off.

Nada. This was my best T1 yet. Grass transitions kick Red Bike.
Bike
  • 39m 38s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.17 mile/hr
Comments:

The race director didn't get the mat out over the tracks, but since they ran at an angle it seemed to be ok. Dodged the road kill that never got scooped up on each lap. There was a gap I found on the Scottsdale Road Bridge that a midget could have fallen through. I hit saw it coming and raised my front tire a little and nailed it with my back. I should have reverted back to thb BMX days and bunny hopped it. After hitting it I noticed an odd sound coming from my bike. After taking the turn onto Rio Salado, I looked down to find the disconnect handle (probably wrong verbage) dangling about. I had forgot to tighten down the front wheel tight and the bump jared it loose. I had to stop on Rio Salado and tighten it up. Contuned the course and by the second lap, the Olympic people and last of the Sprint people had made it on the road causing more congestion. The down hill is where I try to make up my time and on both laps there were 3 bikes wide not passing and blocking. My bike was not tuned the best (rain from Mtn. Man was never rectified) so the bike route didn't go smooth. Sally passed me, we said hi. This time I didn't spit on anyone, a chain didn't come off and no flats.

Train more on the bike and have it race ready. The bike was in need of oil more than the Tin Man passing third base with Dorethy.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Didn't take off the helmet until the transition area. No big deal. Again, Micah and Denyse flaged me to the rack. Threw on the shoes, grabed a water bottle and was off.

Nada. Best T2 yet.
Run
  • 27m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was ok, I fogot the tunes, they would have helped, but o well. The run was going good; I was only getting passed by the super skinny long legged people. (shaking my fist) I saw Paullette on the bike and tried to yell some encourgement, but I don't know if she heard. Continued down the ramp, being carefull not to step on the Ironman Symbol (kinda like how baseball players don't step on the baselines) and followed the pretty flat course. Then just past mile 2, my ankle stated feeling diffenent. I sort of shrugged it off, but my mind told me to look down. Sure enough, my damm timing chip had come off my ankle. What I don't know is how I can walk around a 3 day event and not have one come off my wrist, but a lillte running and comes off. Anyhoooo... I stopped, looked back and saw it about 30-40 yds back. I ran back, put it back on and lost some ground. 2 of my age group passed me during this. I tried to catch them, but couldnt. I think this is what got me. I got to within a couple meters of them, but couldnt make the pass. I had used up too much energy and by the time I got to the hill at the Mill bridge, they pulled away. At the end, my goal was to pass them and I didn't. This was my punishiment of not training enough. I could have and should have pased them. My new insperation for the next race. I'll see you then #770!!!

Get my own Chip Strap, train more, Dig deeper and pass those 2!!! Oh, and the Nike 180's are not for toe runners. I'm going back to the NB725's.
Post race
Warm down:

It was warm enough outside, no need to add more warmth. I dumped some water on my head, streached out and waited to see some of the ESCK's

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lots of vacations prevented me from traing more. The out of shape body, bike and wrong shoes. Still to date this was my best time for a race.

Event comments:

I heard there was no volenteers to be found after the sprint course. People were just standing around in the path of runners and bikers. I didn't see it on my race???

Last updated: 2007-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:08 | 820 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/564
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Right, then Right, then Right, Then Right... Just like NasCar. This was my first Deep Water start. It was nice to tread water and get use to it before taking off.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:38 | 12 miles | 18.17 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Pretty simple course. A few turns, a couple hills and lots of bikes that were wayyy coooler than mine.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:05 | 03.1 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Around the TTL. The only thing that was diffenent than my ususal run was the hill by the Marque Theater.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Timex Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-09-24 5:13 PM
in reply to: #976787

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Timex Triathlon - Sprint Distance
DUDE! You gotta freaken write something!!!  I want to hear how your race went!
2007-09-24 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Yep, we can't accuse you of being wordy Nice times though
2007-09-28 10:52 AM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Your race report cracked me up.  But it pretty much described the course.   Glad you had a good race and hope to see you at some more races. 
2007-09-28 11:29 AM

Pro
AZ

Yeeahhh...that's what I'm talking about. THAT's what I was waiting for!!!  I always enjoy it when the quiet kid opens up and let's us inside his head!! It's so fun in there!!!

Sounds like you had a great race considering all you recent slacking!!!  Bummer you couldn't pass those 2, but I was the same. I was spent and could not pass the last guy. Oh well!!  You still did awesome!

2007-09-28 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

The race report is much better with words I'm so glad you didn't spit on me

You did awesome- see you at Soma!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timex Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed