HFP Racing
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 6s
Overall Rank = 12/55
Age Group = 40-45, HW1
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

8:30AM Race. Tempurature was 72-74 at start and in the 80's by my finish around 10AM. (would reach 91 for HIM participants).

I got up at 5:40AM. Ate 1 baggle and drank 12 oz of fruit juice at 6:00AM. Drank about 30 more ounces of water before the race.
Event warmup:

Slow run for 4 minutes. Bounced around at the starting line. Stretched all morning.
Run
  • 25m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

As slow as this was, this was the fasted I have run a 5K since I began training on 7/28/2007. Prior to 7/28/2007 I did not do any work-outs since 1997. I think I can get my time down to under 22 minutes in a few more months.
What would you do differently?:

I did just what I wanted. I started last so that no one would pass me :). Then I slowly increased my pace throughout the run. I finished the feeling like was moderately working.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Sometimes I have trouble clipping into my new pedals and cleats. This race was another instance. The exit was up hill which added to the importance of clipping in properly. Not a big deal though. I am not yet looking for seconds to save. I have too many minutes to save by just getting into better condition.

1) Wave more to my kids.
Bike
  • 36m 7s
  • 12.7 miles
  • 21.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Can't wait to get my bike times back to the old days. Riders were tightly congested at some points. Some slower riders were too far to the left, which made passes difficult and surprized me. (surprized by how often that happened and by the lack of proper understanding those riders possessed.) This reminds me, another asshole moved my bike down the rack. I racked at 6:45AM and was the second bike from the end. I get to my bike after the first run and and find it third from the end. Some jerk-off decided he like my spot better I guess.)

1) It was fine. Just have to get faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

I never get off the right side of my bike - always the left. But as the ride ended it did so into a sharp right turn. That caused me to take my right foot out first in order to guard against a fall. That caused me to exit to the right. Then I had to run with the bike to the left, which was odd.

1) Get off bike on the left. Unstrap shoes and run to the rack in socks. I unclipped and ran in my shoes. It was not until filling out this section, that I have become aware of the idea of getting out of the shoes while still on the bike.

2) Right before the race, check for assholes who might have moved me bike down the rack. Then shift their bike down to the end of the rack.

3) Wave to my kids more.
Run
  • 26m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Slow again. But less slow in comparision to other participants. The run was good for me at this point.

1) Wave to my kids more as I approach the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked things off. Stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only 8 weeks of training, following 10 years of no work-outs, and 14 years of no running.

Event comments:

My first race. Therefore all my grades are from an ignorant perspective. I did like everything though.

Last updated: 2007-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:49 | 03.11 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 37/55
Performance: Good
Overall race data: MHR 185, AHR 167.
Course: Much of the run was across grass.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:36:07 | 12.7 miles | 21.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 3/55
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Two short descents and climbs. Gravel at some turns. No traffic during my ride. A bit windy. I thought it was on overall nice ride on a nice course. Some the road surface was rough, but more than half was smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:33 | 03.11 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 29/55
Course: Same.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek

2007-09-24 1:25 PM
in reply to: #976822

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek

I have never had a problem with people moving my bike, but I have heard time and agian of that happening.  The only problem is you can not control it.  You would have to catch the person doing it, but that would mean being there until the race starts, which is nearly impossible. 

Maybe send the folks at HFP a message, asking them to provide a person in the transition area watching for that kind of stuff.

Pretty fast for not running for 10 years, and only training for 8 weeks.

2007-09-25 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Thanks. Others have told me I did a good job, and I appreciate it. It is difficult though to keep from comparing my time with the better competitors (especially those in the longer distances that go faster at everything for much much longer).

I am miffed that somebody would approach a rack and just decide to move a bike down. In the future I'll record the bib numbers of all bikes to my left, then 5 minutes before the race the cheaters get moved down. I don't think they save much time, and I didn't loose any time, but the rudeness of the whole thing really sets me off.

Looking forward to Tyler's Run on Oct 13.
2007-09-25 3:04 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Smokin' bike split! And the runs weren't too bad either, considering the limited training you put in. Great job on a day with tough conditions. I wish I could have met you there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek Rss Feed