United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 13m 16s
Overall Rank = 66/920
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/89
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race eeeearly and set up to find that I did not have my goggles. Oh what an idiot. I did have my phone so I woke my lovely wife and she strapped on our 7 month old and quickly came the mile plus to bring money for new goggles. Lesson learned double and triple check items...bring money. Oh yea, I found my spare set minutes later. Oops. Clif bars for breakfast, water. Lots of bathroom breaks.
Event warmup:

Stood around because the 30-34 year old males were last to race. Talked to some people. More bathroom breaks. Guess I was nervous. Not sure what about except the man killing ameobas in the water ;).
Swim
  • 31m 47s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was using nose plugs after minimal practice. Lets just say you cant practice getting pushed, kicked, and hit so the nose plugs went bye bye in the first 100 meters. Had to fix goggles after that early fight club action then took a minute or two of bad swimming to regain composure and press on. Thought it went well after the crappy start. Boats and kayakers were too darn close. I was keeping right in line with buoys and had to swim around some dill hole in a kayak. Whatever.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

They didn't give out our T times. Thought it went well. Thinking about buying a one piece so I don't have to put shirt on after swim. Long run to the mounting line but there were lots of supporters cheering so it was cool.
Bike
  • 1h 49m 32s
  • 36.04 miles
  • 19.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Since my AG started last you can only imagine how many people were in front of me....There were around 900 racers(I heard 1600 racers but upon doing a quick count of the race results came up with 900+) soooooo thats who I was passing because I ended 66th overall. Seemed like an awful lot of people blocking the road. I mean they were riding 3 wide chatting away. I'm surprised I still had my voice from saying "on your left" so much. Then again it kept me very alert. Only 4 people passed me on the bike, 2 of them AGers. But I wasn't sweating it because I was racing my race. I didn't get flustered I just kept on keeping on becasue I knew my strong point was just miles ahead. I enjoyed the hills since i don't get to see too many around Jacksonville. The wind on the other hand I could have done without. As for eating I ate a cliff bar early in the ride then a bag of Cliff Jelly Beans every 30 min. Liquids: Aero bottle of water to start, two bottles of Gatorade, then a bottle of Evian from the aid station. Evian! No wonder the entry fee was expensive.

More time in the saddle before hand. If I can increase my speed to around 22mph I would be right with the top of my AG. Can anyone say hello offseason.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again no transition times... Bobbled the socks. Everything else was cool.

Not bobble socks?
Run
  • 47m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

So I had to pee really bad the last 10 or so miles on the bike but I powered through knowing that I could hit a port-o-pot on the run. I didn't pee on the bike because I had to check out of the hotel room already and had to drive home. I could not go back in the lake because there is no swimming and I couldn't find an outdoor shower. So I didn't want to smell like pee all the way home. Anywho....Started running and I was feeling grrrrreeat. Still passing all the people who started ahead of my AG so it made me feel good. I caught the two AGers who passed me on the bike within the first mile and then I just started running. I felt good and was trying not to push too hard. This is the last race of the season and I spent the entire day before cruising Disney World with my family. I could have run faster but why, this was for fun and thats what I was having. Tons of people everywhere and no one stayed to one side or the other. They were running dead center so I was running zig zags basically the whole course. No one passed me on the run which made it easy to continue to have fun. Aid stations everymile with poweraid and water. Beautiful day. Was coming to the home stretch and saw a guy in front of me and was about to start my super sprint to smoke by him but then I remembered I was just having fun so I cruised in slapping a few high fives to the awesome crowd and slowed down to make sure no one else was in my finisher picture. Since I found no toilets on the course I just powered right through to the finish got my medal and went to take a monster pee. Came back to get waters, poweraid, and find the family.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Looked for family. Found out that they were not allowed to walk in to the event after it had started and they weren't letting busses in either. They basically missed the entire thing. Rowena (wife) was pretty pissed. Luckily we had the whole goggle fiasco so she saw me enter and exit the swim. Seeing her get so angry made me feel good because she loves that I love this. Just another reason I love her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nose clips, wind,

Event comments:

I had a great time. Rowena is gearing up for next years race so I'm looking forward to training with her. Excited about the results since I was having fun the whole time (minus the first 100 on the swim). Didn't notice any of the problems people complained about last year but I had used their comments to help make my race better so thanks to all of those who endured not so fun races that made mine fun. Oh yea, Disney World with the kids for the first time was awesome! Some of the biggest smiles i've ever seen and that was from all of us. Me, Rowena, Madeline, Gracie, Christopher, and Silly Grandma.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:47 | 1640 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/89
Overall: 0/920
Performance: Average
Suit: tri bottoms
Course: triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:49:32 | 36.04 miles | 19.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/89
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: 1 loop lots of hills and tons of wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:32 | 06.21 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/89
Performance: Good
Course: 2 laps, on a bike path, road, off road...just all over the place.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 5:07 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: Walt Disney World Triathlon

2007-09-25 10:20 AM
in reply to: #977406

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Triathlon
Congratulations on a great race!!  The number one rule of triathlon is to enjoy the experience and you clearly did.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Triathlon Rss Feed