General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help creating a training program... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-24 9:44 PM

User image

Regular
Rowan University - Health & Exercise Science Major
Subject: Need help creating a training program...
Hello to all!

My name is Kieran and im a 23 yr old male from jersey. Two weeks ago i descided to begin a more frequent running and riding schedule...before then i hadn't ran in almost four years and road all summer off and on, but now i want to take everything to the next level and begin competing in tri's...

my plan is to compete in the spring of 08'...

my current base is although probably great for the average person, its truely my base and i have alot of improvement to go...

i have six runs under my legs in the past two weeks (all six are the first in 4 yrs) and my avg. mile pace is right around 6:40 with my longest run being 6 miles at a 6:39 mile pace...but being that 4 yrs ago i ran the mile in 4:23 and the 5k in 16:15...

my riding is at its base too...right now i can do a 20 mile ride at an avg spd of 20 mph with a cadence around 90 rpm...

swimming...haha...i couldn't tell you anything about that...i am at the very basic with that and the most work towards tri's will have to be put into this aspect...

so if anyone could help me out with a training schedule that is appropriate for me that would be fantastic!

thanks, kieran

2007-09-25 7:43 AM
in reply to: #977634

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Subject: RE: Need help creating a training program...
Keiran, welcome aboard!  That's a nice mile time you have there.  Have you decided what distance you'll be shooting for this spring?  That will have a lot to do with how you plan your training.  There a bunch of people that will read this that have lots more knowledge than I do, so I'll let them help you with the specifics, but there are also a few free plans (I think?) on this site that can help you start off once you've decided your race distance.  Good luck!
2007-09-25 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Flower Mound, Texas

I used this training plan when I first got into triathlon.   Keeps things interesting with all the commentary week to week.  There are some free beginner plans on this site also but many of them are pretty minimal training volumes.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/beginner/beginner.html

2007-09-25 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
a lot of what goes in to a triathlon training schedule is time management. i don't think anybody has enough time to do all the training they want to do in a week, so you have to go for the most efficient use of your time.

it seems in your case, since your bike and run are strong, you would want to make sure you get in your swim workouts. maybe 3 a week to start with progressing up to 4 or 5. then fit in your bike and run workouts. you also have to remember to give yourself recovery time.

as for what to do during your workouts, it depends on your fitness level and at what distance you want to compete. you can find a lot of training plans online. usually what happens is that you find one that is close to what you are looking for, and tweak it a little here and there to fit your needs.
2007-09-25 1:39 PM

User image

Regular
Well thanks everyone for the relpys...

i think at this time i might look into doing olympic level tri's to get some tri's under my legs and then slowly but surely move up over time until i'm doing full IM level tri's...

i know that the swim aspect is something that i would have to work on the most b/c at this early stage it is my weakest aspect of the three...the running and riding are stong at the beginning and i know that they will get better as i get miles under my legs...

i know that another thing i will have to begin looking into are bricks to get an idea of how riding and then running feels...i might actually go out today and do a brick of something like 25 miles riding and then anywere from 3-5 mile run...

Edited by roadrunner1659 2007-09-25 1:48 PM
2007-09-25 1:56 PM

Veteran
Great run times!

I'm a noob myself but the advice I've heard from several that seems excellent based on my experiences is that if you can swing it then you should hire a swim coach. Swimming is all technique not the kind of raw power that you are used to putting out. Get a coach and you'll avoid picking up lots of bad habits.

Good luck and I hope you're not in my age group next year

2007-09-25 2:36 PM
in reply to: #978629

User image

Regular
haha well i dont know about a swim coach but i might get a member of the rowan swim team to help me out...as he has been swimming all of his life...
2007-09-25 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
you should try Total Immersion training. They have an excellent book and the training DVD is awesome IMO.
2007-09-25 6:58 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Kieran, the training plan completely depends on your goals. Can you clarify what you're targeting in terms of competition, races, etc?  Just thought I'd throw that out there since training for an IM is very different than a sprint or OLY.

The good news is, based on your riding and running prowess, no matter what you decide, you're going to be competitive. Post a couple specific goal races, or goals in general, and you'll get some very clean and targeted feedback.

And welcome to BT.

2007-09-25 7:31 PM

User image

Regular
so i went out and did my first ever brick...

I ended up riding for 24.35 miles w/ avg spd of 19.7 my cadence was around 100rpm and i finished in 1hr 14 mins...i got home and made my transition from the bike to the running in about 5 minutes max (more like 3)...i then went out and was able to do 4.06 mile at a 7:02 mile pace which took me 28 minutes...

so how does this look considering that i have two weeks of riding and running under my belt?

o and let me say this...after finishing the bike and when i began running...wow it felt so so weird...

Rick...im not sure what my goals are at this time...maybe i should look into it...but i am a very competitive person and when i get into competitions i want to give it my all...

Edited by roadrunner1659 2007-09-25 7:34 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help creating a training program... Rss Feed