General Discussion Race Reports! » General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marbury, Maryland
United States
Endurance Works
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 27s
Overall Rank = 79/158
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 14/26
Pre-race routine:

PB sandwich, 20 ox. coffee, gatorade and a banana on the ride; half Clif bar hour prior and a Clif shot 20 minutes before. Peed a lot. Did not feel bloated. Easy stretching and scoped the course.
Event warmup:

Basic stretching, walked the route from swim to T1, fought nervousness.
Swim
  • 14m 30s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

First open water swim race ever. I was simply trying to not get in people's way. I felt it was average speed. Got cut off a number of times in the first 200 yards and bumped bodies for the first 300 yards. Got good separation from pack on the final turn buoy. Strayed a bit on the way in and pulled up 3-4 times to a breast stroke to catch my breath and find the correct line. Felt really good passing a few people from teh wave in front of me but was very tired coming out of the water. Oddest part was the thick hydrilla along the course that hit my face and got caught in my hands on a lot of strokes. Very eerie.
What would you do differently?:

Trust my line more and swim until the finish.
Transition 1
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

Long run to T1. Was so tired from swim I was passed by at least 8 people on the way to bike. Took another Clif shot, drank some Propel and got gear on. Socks got stuck on wet feet but no big deal. Total blur.

Dry feet better. Eat and drink on bike. Push to get to T1 area.
Bike
  • 55m 43s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.23 mile/hr
Comments:

So tired from swim and T1 that the uphill start wore me down. Did not settle into rhythm until mile 3 or 4. Was passed on hills by people with much cooler bikes and bigger calves than me, so I was not too discouraged. I did try to push a little at the end and passed 2 people in the last 4 miles. I did not take advantage of the downhills to offset the uphills. Cadance was bad uphill as well.

Have a better strategy. I was just trying not to exhaust myself and save something for the run, so I guess I accomplished that. In future races, I will find stretches to make a move. Did not manage course very well.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Went to wrong rack. Strange how #290 looks like #190 at this point of the race. Put running shoes on and realized my sock was not aligned correctly on my foot. Had to undo and redo shoe. Took a shot and went on my way. Waved to kids and thanked them for coming out.

Go to the right rack for openers....
Run
  • 25m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

On initial uphill I could barely move my legs enough to justify running. Was passed rapidly by about 1/2 dozen "real" runners then settled into a good group. After opening climb my legs came back and I tried to pick up pace. Passed a few people and made the turn around excited for a finish and some doenhill terrain. After mile 2 got in a pack with two others, which was a nice diversion. We were all rookies and pretty damn tired. Soon we heard cowbells and announcers and pressed for the finish. Great last 1/4 mile going over a bridge and by the swim (which seemed to have happened weeks before) and the to the end. WOOHOO!

Better hill preparation.
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped. Drank as much as I could and ate a bunch of fruit and pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills were my main downfall.

Event comments:

Good support overall. WOuld have liked more mile markers on the bike course. Weed-whack the Potomac!

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:30 | 820 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/26
Overall: 29/158
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Out from marina for about 350 yards, turned right for about 100, back another 350.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:55:43 | 16 miles | 17.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/26
Overall: 105/158
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 70s
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:25:56 | 03.11 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/26
Overall: 78/158
Performance: Average
Course: Flat start, then uphill (surprisingly tough), after turn-around you enter a gravel/dirt path for 1/2 mile or so before pavement resumes. Water at start and turn. Narrow finishing turns.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes