General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, Connecticut
United States
TriSport Media
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 2s
Overall Rank = 57/197
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/17
Pre-race routine:

Race was nice and close, so we had cereal and coffee before heading over. Amazingly enough, there were no issues with alarm setting this time.
Event warmup:

Swam in the lake (this is SO not a lake, and barely even a pond) to see if I could remember how to swim.
Swim
  • 11m 18s
  • 704 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first swim in two weeks, and also my first real swim in my new fullsuit. Whoops. The swim was interesting, because the wave was large (130 or so), and there were a number of men. I've never swum with dudes in such a large wave, and their approach to passing me was to try to swim over me or fist drill into me before realizing that wasn't very effective. I couldn't really see much because my goggles were messed up, so I just followed feet and ingnored all the physical contact because it's a waste of energy to try and do anything about it.

It felt like I took too long, but the results include the .3 mile run into transition, and my pace per 100 yards was 1:37 including this run, so this could have been one of my better swims. My effort level was strong throughout.
What would you do differently?:

Clean my goggles if I haven't used them in a few weeks!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

transition time was included in bike. Super dizzy in transition again and took longer because of it. I didn't think this would be an issue because of the short length of the swim and the longish run to transition, but it was. Not sure there's much I can do about it (other than the impractical solution of not bending over in transition).
Bike
  • 43m 40s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.86 mile/hr
Comments:

This was an okay bike. Three women passed me, and not too many guys either, which was nice since this is not usually the case.

For power, my average was 148, and I noticed my power output was decent on the flats and uphills, but on downhills it was hard to push more than 120 watts or so. This is probably a gear management issue more than anything else. For the most part, I tried to just push on the bike as much as possible, but I do feel there was room to push harder. Perhaps not being used to the short bike distance of a sprint race came into play here.

It was unfortunate to see, but there was a pack of riders who stayed together for a majority of the bike leg. They were fairly far ahead in the standings, so they should have known better. Steve, Kelly, and I were dispersed over the course, and we each noticed them twice. They did get a 2:00 penalty, but I feel their drafting was a poor example to set for an event that had around 50 first-timers.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

transition time was included in bike. This was an okay transition. Kept thinking I forgot something because I didn't have a bunch of GU and Endurolytes weighing me down.
Run
  • 25m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I left my Garmin at home this time, because I tend to overanalyze things and let it tell me how fast to run. My goal was to stay uncomfortable for the entire run, and then push to really uncomfortable at the end, which I think happened. There were two women ahead of me on the way out, so my goal was to keep up with them since I was pretty sure one was in my age group (she was, and ended up finishing 50 seconds ahead of me in first place. And I can see from Athlinks that she's a former collegiate runner, so - go me!).
I ended up passing three women on the run, and two of them had passed me on the bike. It felt so good to catch them! Unfortunately, the only woman to pass me was in my age group. I decided to keep her close and try to catch her towards the end, but her final kick was as strong as mine, so she ended up finishing ten seconds ahead of me. I took third in my age group, and it was nice to have some competition on the run.
What would you do differently?:

This may was very close to my standalone 5K PR, so I don't think I'd change anything. It was really nice to not get passed by half the competitors on the run for once.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some junk and talked with Steve, Kelly, and Chris.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm lazy!

Event comments:

A good race for a first year event, and also a good first timer event if you are looking for one. Post race food was impressive, and the AG awards were pretty nice, but they didn't have small T-shirts. I'll never understand that.

Last updated: 2007-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:18 | 704 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 41/197
Performance: Average
Suit: BlueSeventy Helix Full
Course: clockwise rectangle with long run to transition
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:40 | 13 miles | 17.86 mile/hr
Overall: 65/197
Performance: Average
This is from my bike computer, since the results include both T1 and T2.
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops of a main road with a loop through neighborhoods at each end. Pretty flat. They were talking about debris in the road, but the road conditions were great compared to the other races I've done this year.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:00 | 03.11 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 0/197
Performance: Good
Course: Somewhat hilly loop through an industrial park with one water stop.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-25 10:01 AM

Subject: Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce

2007-09-25 10:18 AM
in reply to: #978087

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce
Hey Danielle, great race and a podium pacing awesome job. That is a really good run time and I knwo you have really been trying to improve your run time so well. Betyou are glad you didn't do the nutmeg HIM it was a suffere fest 8-)
2007-09-25 12:15 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Nice job.  The first place 25-29 (Shannon Lindberg) was a really good swimmer and runner in HS and then ran for CCSU -- super sweet to keep up with her.  Another 30 seconds or so and you would have a 1st!
2007-09-25 1:10 PM

Veteran
nice race report and good to hear the comments re: blatant drafting. as you said yourself "go you!"
2007-09-29 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Nice job on the race.  Congrad on the AG results.  You're smok'n fast.  You should be very proud.

FYI--I didn't win the big screen TV either! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce Rss Feed