General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M Gooley Hemophilia Center
54F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 45s
Overall Rank = 11/260
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/39
Pre-race routine:

The pre-race routine started at Mike's (marmadaddy) house the night before for a great carb loading dinner. Woke up at 4:30, drove to the race with Mike and got body marked. Set up the transition and hung out and chatted with BTers and ITCers. This race was going to be all about having fun seeing as I hadn't done a thing but gain 7 lbs since IMWI 2 weeks earlier. It was fun, I just worked a bit harder than I expected to.
Event warmup:

My warm-up consisted of a run over to the car to get my tool kit and use the bushes. Got in a couple hundred yd swim before they made us start to line-up to be corralled. Probably TMI but as I was waiting for my wave to enter the water I was dooing the old pottie dance. Finally I just let it go and felt a warm sensation running down my leg and into the sand. :) I looked around to see if anyone noticed then got into the water to "flush". :)
Swim
  • 21m 48s
  • 1584 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt very good about this swim. I got out to a good start and put the cruise control on. I started passing the womens wave well before the 1/2 way point and had to do a lot of maneuvering through the bodies. When I got about 2/3 of the way I noticed someone from my wave passing me. I jumped on his feet and he pulled me the rest of the way home. This person ended up being the winner. Anyway, he had a great draft. :) We came out of the water in 20:49 and had to run a couple hundred yds to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Find some feet to follow earlier, train more swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

My transitions are terrible. I was taking my time because this race was about having a blast and not worrying about speed.

Practice transitions next year!!
Bike
  • 1h 01m 46s
  • 24.4 miles
  • 23.70 mile/hr
Comments:

I am not going to push this ride! I am not going to push this ride! I got off to a nice start, felt very good and spun right up the first hill. I mentioned to a couple guys standing up trying to push big gears that spinning saves energy but they ignored me. I went by them singing "spinning, spinning, just keep spinning, what do we do we spin....spin....spin!!" I hope it stayed in their heads. :) After the hill came a steady 1% or 2% grade for a good few miles and I was spinning at 100+ rpm's feeling very good. I looked at my HR and saw 167 and thought "so much for an easy ride". RPE was still pretty comfortable but HR was high, oh well. I was coughing up a bunch of yellow goop from my lungs the entire ride, I had hoped I could leave it all in the water. I tried firing a snot rocket but ended up gooing the side of my face and arm. YUK!! I did manage to wipe most of it off with my water. I passed a bunch of people from the waves in front of mine and tried to say something to everyone. Have a good ride, looking good, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, nice bike, who ordered the headwind?, is this the way to the food?, etc. I came upon a friend that always seems to kick my but in swimming and slowed down to say hello. After asking a few questions and trying to strike a little talk she looked at me and said "I can't talk now Bob!". So I biked on. On the second big climb I was thinking of my extra 7 lbs and if I could just get my stomach jiggling more uphill and forward than backward I could take advantage of the jelly belly. (Okay, my mind was wondering!) I did take advantage of the added lbs on the downhills! The long course merged with the sprinters in the last 5 miles or so and I was really moving past these riders. The course took us through a college and over a few speed bumps. I noticed a bunch of scrungies from aero bottles at the first one and laughed. I also noticed about 5 or 6 riders slowing way down to go over the bumps. I think I surprised them as I bunny-hopped the first bump at about 20 mph. I did the same at the second and someone made a comment that I didn't quite hear. My legs felt great, body felt great, and I was definitely going to take the run easy!! I took my feet out of my shoes and rode the last 1/2 mile with them on top of my shoes. There was a car in front of me that ruined my photo op! It couldn't have been a Ferrari or Porsche either, it had to be a red Dodge Neon. What a way to finish the ride.

Nothing! I had fun and had my fastest bike speed to date in a tri. No complaints!
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

138th in T2. I need to work on this. I wasn't pushing this transition at all. I need to start using Yanks and practice these more!

Practice, practice, practice.
Run
  • 45m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a lot of fun! I didn't have a chance to calibrate my new Polar so I knew it wasn't going to be accurate. I set it to split every .5 miles and the first 6 splits were within 3 seconds of each other. I got passed by a few Oly's and mentioned how strong they looked as they went by. I then thanked them for not being 40!! After my first loop I met up with Kameron (Kam32) who was looking very comfortable and strong. She was having a side stitch and I ran with her for a little bit, maybe a mile or so. I pushed the last couple miles and was shocked when I saw I took 7 minutes off my best Olympic!

If I wanted a faster time I would have pushed the run more. On this day, I wouldn't have done anything different.
Post race
Warm down:

I went to the ART (Active Release Technique) tent and got my back worked on a bit. Stretched, hung out with BTers, congratulated some finishers and had a lot of food!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing but my not wanting to go faster.

Event comments:

This is a great way to end the season. The race venue is awesome and Linda Miller does a fantastic job!

Last updated: 2007-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:48 | 1584 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/39
Overall: 5/260
Performance: Good
158 AHR, 168 MHR. A bit higher than my RPE of 14.
Suit: Orca P-Flex Sleeveless
Course: Rectangular course, 1 loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:01:46 | 24.4 miles | 23.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/39
Overall: 8/260
AHR 163, MHR 177, RPE 15
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop course with 2 significant hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:50 | 06.21 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/39
Overall: 54/260
AHR 160, MHR 168, RPE 10
Course: 2 loop flat course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-25 1:03 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-09-25 3:02 PM
in reply to: #978498

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Thank you for saying I looked strong and comfortable!  Kiss  I was feeling anything BUT those things, though.  I can't believe your biking speed.  In my dreams!  The more I think about all of the people I personally know who peed in the water (including me) I get more and more grossed out!  Tongue out 

Thanks again for running with me!  I wish I could have hung out with all of you guys more after the race, but that kid's tri is crazy!  (but fun!)  Hope to catch up with you soon at a race of bike around a lake somewhere!

2007-09-25 3:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
You continue to amaze be Bob!! Excellent swim and bike....great run too! I'm gonna shack up in Binghamton for a while this off season so I can attend the Bob Stocks Tri Camp. Oh wait, that doesn't exist yet? Well it should!! Congrats on a great season sir, enjoy the off season.
2007-09-25 5:01 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Great job Bob!  I don't know what Kam's complaining about, at least her tap water doesn't come from that lake! It was good to see you again, I'm glad you had a good time in our little town!
2007-09-25 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Great race Bob.  I with Ken on drinking bottled water.  Every report I read even my own there was peeing in the "pool"  I drink that water.  Good to see ya keep up the good work but get that honey-do list taken care of. 
2007-09-25 8:42 PM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY
Great race, as usual.  Hmm, so going into the race with the intention of taking it easy and having fun results with a 1st in AG trophy.  Sheesh

2007-09-25 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England

Great report Bob - you make it sound like you had fun!

Thanks for the 2 sec draft in the lake - next time I'm thinking of lassooing (sp?) your ankle 

2007-09-26 9:14 AM

User image

Expert

Congratulations on first in your AG! Man, you are wicked fast! It was a pleasure to meet you. Hope to see you again next year; it does seem like there are a lot of great races in the Finger Lakes Region.

Anthony

2007-09-26 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

I'm pretty sure guys in the finger lakes tremble when they see that shiny bob-ble head of yours show up at races. you are dominating this season!! way to go, especially considering you were just out there to have fun.

maybe this should be my new plan for races... gain weight, pee while standing on the beach (HA!), and be a wise on the bike. hahaha, nicely done Bob! you're one of BT's finest and certianly getting to be one of the fastest too. hooptee hoop!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed