HFP Racing
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 12m 22s
Overall Rank = 99/202
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 15/24
Pre-race routine:

Just as in Memphis to start the season, I had a rough night prior to this race. My youngest son, Reed (who's 1 1/2), seems to pick up on my pre-race jitters. He uncharacteristically woke up screaming in our hotel room several times during the night and I had to get up to calm him down. At 2am I had a couple of Ensures and went back to bed, then got up for good at 4am. I had my usual breakfast of oatmeal, a banana and another Ensure, then we loaded up the XTerra and carried out the kids. We dropped off Rainer at my Mother-in-law's, so my wife would just have Reed to look after for the day. Then we made the hour-long drive to the race site from Columbus.

All the while I'm driving, I'm reviewing my plan in my head. And, of course, I'm fixating on my goal-- 5:59:59. Anything more would simply be unacceptable. I blew it in Racine because I got greedy on the bike and paid for it on the run. That was simply due to inexperience. Today, I wasn't going to let that happen to me again. Or so I thought. (Cue the dramatic foreshadowing music... DUNT-DUNT-DUNT!)
Event warmup:

After setting up in Transition, I immediately went back to the truck to get the new Kelty SunShield (big tent-like thing) so I could set that up out on the course for my wife and Reed to sit under while they waited for me to pass by during the race. I'm glad I did-- as it would turn out, the temp would hit 91F during the day with not a cloud in sight.

After I got that set up, I returned to Transition to get my swim stuff, when one of the guys a few bikes down from mine spotted my Donkey jersey. It turns out it's devilwillride (Pat) from BT, along with his wife Anna. We exchange pleasantries, and I introduce them to my wife and Reed. It's always great to meet fellow BTer's, especially folks as nice as Pat and Anna-- and particularly when you're hundreds of miles from home.

Afterward, we all walked down to the beach and I hopped in the water for a quick warm-up swim. Then Pat and I shot the breeze a little more as we waited for our wave to start.
Swim
  • 38m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I knew from scouting the course the previous day that parts of the beach side of the swim were incredibly shallow-- as in walking shallow. As in scraping your hands on the bottom with each stroke if you try to swim shallow. However, I made up my mind I didn't want to cheat the course, so I was going to try to swim it as much as possible. But that wouldn't come into play until later. At this point, we're just hanging out and waiting for the horn to start our wave.

At the beginning, Pat and I seeded ourselves in the rear of the pack, toward the middle. With only 27 guys in our wave (3 would DNF), it didn't seem like it would really matter much where we began, but I soon found myself bottled up and trapped in the pack as we hit the first turn-- that definitely cost me some time. Because the two turns on the end of the rectangle were only about 25m apart, things got rather higgledy-piggledy (big messy) in these sections, with bodies everywhere trying to get around the buoys. However, I charged right through the crowd, narrowly missing taking a foot in the face, but emerging unscathed.

From there, I swam wide right of the pack, trying desperately to limit my tendency to swim right, as the buoys were on my left (as a right side breather, I really hate that.) Along this stretch, the pack finally spread out and I was able to concentrate on maintaining long, smooth strokes and really pushing the water through with force. After rounding the far end of the rectangle, we were now swimming on the beach side and the water quickly got shallow. As I'm stroking along, I'm seeing guys aquajogging or standing to drain their goggles just a couple meters away from me. I'm not going to rag on the aquajoggers-- I think that's a choice each competitor must make for themself-- but as I said earlier, I didn't want to cheat this course. Not today. I had put in the training and I wanted to earn my times. Besides, with some of the infractions I would witness later on, seeing guys walk the swim just wouldn't seem like a big deal.

The second lap passed uneventfully and by the time I rounded the final buoy I sensed I was going to finish with a great time (at least for me.) This was confirmed when I finally reached shore and looked at my watch: 36 minutes and change. For me, for this distance, that's smokin'.

After exiting the water, there was also a 40m sprint across the beach and another 75m run up a grass hill to transition which was also added to our swim time.

What would you do differently?:

Looking back, I would have seeded myself at the front of the pack on the water side. Doing that, I could have avoided the bottle-necking that probably cost me 30 seconds at the beginning of the swim. Still, this was a solid swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Solid T1. This was my first time running in my new shoes with the Look Keo cleats. It was a lot more awkward than my SPD's, but I still moved it along pretty well. As it was, my T1 ranked 8/24.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

This was where things got interesting. It was my first race on the new Guru and much as I wanted to just open 'er up, I was all too aware that doing just that had led to my sufferfest in Racine. In fact, a big part of the reason for my doing this race at all was to correct the mistakes I perceived I had made at Racine-- basically, hammering the bike, blowing up my heartrate and then having to "RALK" the run. I was determined to not let that happen again, and to stick to my race plan this time.

So I went out easy. Easy like Sunday morning. Lionel Richie would have been proud. And he probably would have passed me here, too, because everyone else did. In fact, they were flying past me. But like a good Donkey, I was stubborn and stuck to the plan. After a few miles, I had successfully brought my HR down from the 160's following the swim to z2 (low 140's for me), but I know I'm just hemorrhaging time and wondering if I'll ever make it up. Hey, I'm trusting the plan. After all, that's what this race is about--sticking to the plan and seeing what happens.

Upon turning Northeast for the first time on a narrow farm road with a really rough surface, I got my first taste of the wind I would be battling all day. It wasn't a gusty wind, but it was stiff-- and it was ALWAYS there. Plus, it seemed to be there no matter which direction we rode, except the short section heading southwest immediately outside of transition. With the course running through open farm fields with no trees nearby, there was just no sanctuary from it. And it seemed to get stronger on each successive loop.

Even though, I'm trying to focus solely on heartrate and cadence, I can't help but see the speed I'm pushing along this section: a dismal 15.6MPH. At this point, I know it's going to be a long day and it's going to be tough to make my goal. But I'm successfully keeping my HR in z2 and trudging along.

Somewhere in the early going here, a guy pulls up alongside me and says, "Nice bike!" I look over and see he's riding the exact same Guru Crono-- same Mavic Ksyrium wheels, same paint job and everything. I tell him, "Yeah, except yours seems to have a better engine!" as he powers on ahead. The thing is, it's not like I'm getting outpowered here or anything. In fact, I feel like I'm hardly working. I'm simply keeping my HR down and pumping along. Yep, I'm sticking to the plan. Still, it kills me to see this guy bolt ahead seemingly so effortlessly.

Finally, I hit the "appendage" for the first time, which brings the first set of hills. Nothing too nasty, but certainly a lot steeper than anything Racine has to throw at you. Because the appendage is a fairly long out and back, it allows me to get my first (and only) look at the race leaders-- those guys were hammering! But I'm also seeing quite a few packs where the riders don't appear to have just caught up to each other. Strange, I thought, I don't recall anyone saying this race was draft legal. Unfortunately, with the field this small (only 202 HIM participants), I don't think they bothered with putting a single race marshall on the course and I'm pretty sure a lot of these guys knew it. Oh well, to each his own. I just hope there's a penalty box in hell reserved for those fockers. :)

After completing the appendage, the course rejoins the Oly course for the last few miles back to transition, where we'll begin the second and third loops. I think to myself, "Geez, what's to stop an HIM athlete from just turning back toward transition here and chopping off the appendage?" and I continue on my way back. (Cue the dramatic foreshadowing music again here... DUNT-DUNT-DUNT!)

Between the appendage and transition, there awaited the nastiest of the hills on the course-- nothing major, but probably a good 7 or 8% grade over 200m or so. This was where all my riding in Holy Hill-land really paid off, because I just cruised past people here, spinning comfortably along while they were standing on their pedals, churning hard. We hit another little climb at the dam on the final stretch toward transition, and then I finally got my first chance to say "Hi" to Terri and Reed, waiting for me patiently under the SunShield.

By now, the heat had really cranked up (it would get up to 91F) and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, so I was really glad I had at least set up the SunShield for them or they would have had their own little sufferfest waiting for me. During our scout the previous day, we chose this spot because it was situated on a small patch of grass between the run course and bike course. Because the bike course had three loops and the run two (with both the in and out going past this point), this spot would give them 7 chances to see me. It really worked out well and made for a much more enjoyable day for us all.

After passing them, I made my way back into the transition area (where they blended the racers from the Sprint and Oly distances as well), picked up a bottle of water and headed back out for Loop #2. By now, the wind had seemed to get even a little stronger and I'm pretty sick and tired of just going along in z2. So I cheat the plan just a little bit and crank it up just a bit into low z3. I reasoned it had been a couple months since I had last done a cycling LT test, so my zones were probably a little higher by now anyways. Looking back, I'm sure it was the right decision.

By the midpoint of this loop, the wind is definitely taking its toll and some of the racers that had passed me earlier are now falling back to me. None of the really fast folks, but just some of the ones I know I should be able to out-bike just by looking at them. This provided a much-needed ego boost but I know by now my bike split is going to be nothing to boast about. I'm just hoping I'll reap some dividends on the run.

The rest of the loop passes uneventfully, although I'm definitely feeling the mojo fading from my legs faster than I should for the speed I'm riding. That was the wind-- just slowly but persistantly working on the legs, draining the go-go juice away. By the time I pass Terri and Reed again, I'm still feeling really good, though, and I pick up another bottle of water in transition and head back out for the third and final loop.

Working along this short section with the tailwind, I decide to turn it up just a little more-- and so does the wind. No problems, here-- hey, I'm cruising along effortlessly at 24MPH at this point-- but I know it's going to be a different story as soon as we hit the left onto that rough farm road.

Sure enough, we make the turn and once again I'm immediately struggling to maintain 16MPH, despite the fact I'm now working in mid z3 at about 151 BPM. At this point, a guy in his 50's who I've been leap-frogging with comes up beside me and says, "Man, I'm just cooked!" I'm not quite there, but I'm definitely feeling it, especially by the time we hit the appendage. The entire ride was just so exposed to the wind it was almost maddening because you just couldn't let down for a second. It basically felt like you were riding up a 2% grade the entire ride.

After completing the appendage for the final time, I once again came to the spot where the HIM riders re-join the Oly riders for the home stretch back to Transition. I spot a rider making the left here so my guard is up just to make sure he doesn't veer into me as I proceed straight ahead. And that's when I saw it... DUNT-DUNT-DUNT!... the unmistakeable "H" (for "Half Triathlon") on this guy's left calf. He's cutting the appendage! And he's not making a mistake here either because it's the third loop-- unless he cut it the first two times as well. I decide not to say anything, reasoning that he might just be calling it a day and riding back. But looking back on it now, he got out of his saddle to sprint on ahead and I never saw him again. That's not the sign of a guy just calling it a day. Plus, after the race, Terri mentioned to me there had been some grumblings among early finishers that some people may have cut the appendage. After checking the final results in my AG alone, there was one suspicious set of splits-- a guy finished 60th overall in the swim, 18th on the bike, 61st on the run. Hmmmmmmmmm. Whatever, I'm only concerned about one result, and that's mine.

On the hills of the final stretch, I'm really powering past people now. But I know I've given away way too much time and it's going to be a struggle to make it up on the run. Upon entering Transition, I check my watch: 3:47:00. I've still got time, but I'm going to have to run strong.

Oh, and who do I see finishing immediately ahead of me on the bike? The guy on the other Guru Crono, who had looked so strong earlier. That was a bit of a lift.

I'm not sure yet, I've got to figure this out. I definitely feel like I went out a little too easy and wound up leaving too much time on the course. But honestly, my legs felt like they had been stressed enough, considering I still had a half-marathon to run. And how much of that stress was due to the wind?
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

This was another solid transition for me. In fact, I ranked 7/24 in my AG. I don't think I could have gone much faster.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 23m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

After exiting transition in a flash, I'm optimistic about my chances of going sub-6. There's no doubt it's going to be close, but my legs feel decent (especially compared to Racine) and my HR's in check. I go out easy and settle into a steady z2 pace.

I see Terri and Reed under the SunShield as I head off onto the grass portion to go across the dam and she tells me I'm looking much better than Racine-- again, it was just so great being able to look forward to seeing the fam so often on the course. Running over the dam offered a really magnificent view of the lake and valley below and really helped take my mind off the run for a few moments. At this point, I'm moving slowly but I'm running and don't anticipate feeling the need to walk anytime soon, which is a hell of a lot better than Racine.

Also, instead of strapping on my Fuel Belt, as I did at Racine, I simply took a flask of gel and another flask of Endurolytes, which I kept in my jersey pockets. I felt much better not feeling saddled with the extra weight of the Fuel Belt and flasks filled with my own Infinit. Instead, my plan was to rely more on what was offered at the Aid Stations. There were plenty of stations and they did a great job of getting each racer what they needed-- unfortunately, what I really needed was somebody to run alongside me with an umbrella to shield me from the sun. By now, the heat and sunshine are just oppressive-- there was not a single moment on the run course that offered any shade or relief. None. And it was beginning to take its toll by the 4 or 5-mile mark.

Following my nutrition plan, I took in Hammer Gel every .5 hour, which I washed down with water from the Aid Stations, and an Endurolyte cap every .5 hour but at a 15-minute stagger from the gel. At about the 5-mile mark, I lean my head to wipe my brow with my right bicep and find that it's coated with a thick crust of salty residue. I have never had that before, so I know this could mean trouble. Still, I'm feeling decent as I head back in over the dam and once again see Terri and Reed. It's taken me a little over an hour to cover the first 6 miles, so I know I'm up against it. But I'm feeling OK.

I head back into Transition to complete the first loop and hit the Aid Station-- and get my first inkling that all is not well. After taking in more gel with water, it just doesn't seem to sit right in my belly and I'm reduced to walking. I reason that it's just one of those tough moments in the race I'll have to work through, but the bloated feeling doesn't subside and soon I'm also fighting cramps and tightness just under my sternum. This has me concerned, because while I've certainly had cramps in my legs before during races, I've never had them in my abdomen. These suckers are painful and prevent me from breathing normally, making it impossible to run. In fact, when I do try to run, they become more painful and I almost feel like my guts are going to spill out of my abdomen-- not like I'm going to puke, but like they're literally going to burst out of my abdominal wall. (Pleasant, huh?)

I'm now at about the 8-mile mark and realize my goal is slipping away-- a fact made more frustrating because my legs still feel like they can go, and my HR is still right where it should be, but my core just won't allow it. The pain in my abdomen just won't allow me to take a decent breath and my entire trunk feels bloated like a barrel. I decide I'm going to put the kibosh on taking any more gel and just try to make it in on Infinit and water, hoping that will help clear the distension. But time is slipping away, the sun is relentless, and the best I can manage is the all-too familiar "RALK" from Racine. The only difference here is that it's not due to my legs.

At last I hit the final turnaround and know I can kiss sub-6 goodbye. Now the only goal left is to beat my Racine time. But I'm still not feeling any better about running and the prospects of even accomplishing that aren't looking good. At some point along here, I see Pat heading toward the turnaround and he also looks like he's feeling the heat. In fact, I look around and all the racers immediately ahead of and behind me look like they're clearly suffering under the heat of the relentless sun. I guess misery really does love company.

At the final Aid Station just before the dam, I make up my mind I'm going to run in the last 1.5 miles no matter how much it hurts-- and believe me, it hurt. The tightness and cramping in my abdomen felt like a cross between the sensation of getting the wind knocked out of you and what I imagine having a heart attack feels like. I wasn't exactly experiencing a "runner's high".

Every step was a struggle, but one I knew that was bringing me closer to the end of the misery. I pass the SunShield for the final time and see that Terri and Reed are gone-- no doubt waiting for me at the finish and probably wondering what was taking me so long. I check my watch and see I have just a couple of minutes to beat my time at Racine. I give it everything I have left-- which ain't much.

Rounding the final turn into the parking lot, I finally spot the finish chute. No one is around anymore, the Sprint and Oly finishers and their spectators having already left. I'm almost thankful there aren't many people around to witness my disappointing finish. I do see Terri and Reed cheering me on and that's all I need to give one last burst to cross the finish line. The MC announces my time: 6:12:22. Fourteen seconds faster than Racine.

Well, this is what I'll spend the entire off-season contemplating. I think I've got to re-think my nutrition on the run. Gel just seemed to cause the bloating which led to my cramps. I also need to assess my salt intake. By the time I finished, I was just crusted in salt like I have never experienced before. I'm not quite sure what that means at this point.

Mostly, I just think I need to spend the off-season contiuing to build my base. There is no question this paid HUGE dividends at my Oly and Sprint events this season, where I blew all my previous PR's out of the water. I think if I'm honest, the HIM distance is just a little too long for me at this point to really ride and run strong all the way through. Sure, I think I left some time on the bike course, but if I had pushed it harder, I may have just sapped myself more for the run. As it turned out, I simply traded 15 minutes on the bike course for 15 minutes on the run, compared to my results at Racine.

However, I think it's also probably wrong to compare the results of these two courses, and two very different sets of conditions, too closely. I honestly believe the wind, sun and additional hills of this course on this particular day made for a significantly more challenging event than Racine, where the course was flatter and the conditions more favorable.
Post race
Warm down:

Man, I was spent. Usually I'll have some little joke or comment for the volunteer who comes up to give you your finishing medal and take your timing chip, but I just had nothing here. It was all I could do just to saty on my feet and stammer over to a chair under the finisher's tent. I was never more grateful for shade in my life. At last I was out of that damn sun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The sun, the wind, cramps, insufficient fitness... what else have you got?

Event comments:

I set a clear goal for myself for this day-- go sub-6. It was all I had thought about since my disappointing finish at Racine. But it just wasn't in the cards on this day.

While I'm disappointed about my time because I'm just not used to not reaching the goals I set for myself, I also understand you sometimes just have to play the cards you're dealt. I have no regrets about my preparation or effort. This is simply where I'm at at this point in my journey as a triathlete. If I'm not happy with it, well, I have a whole off-season to make the improvements I need to make. Right now, I think that involves simply continuing to build my base to be able to go longer stronger.

One thing is certain. I'm really glad I did not sign up for IMMOO next year. My body simply isn't ready to race that distance and finish it at a time I would want to finish it. And I think it will take me a couple years to get there, IF I do decide to set that as a goal for myself at all.

Also, now that my season is over, I can honestly say I'm very happy with and proud of the progress I have made over the last year. I really accomplished all the goals I had set for myself, and striving for a sub-6 HIM was just getting a little greedy. Next season, I'll be prepared to take the next step. But as for now... where's the beer and pizza? I think I've got a football game to watch.

Last updated: 2007-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/24
Overall: 118/202
Performance: Good
Suit: promotion full
Course: The course was a long, skinny rectangle running parallel to shore, with an in-water start. We swam two laps.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:06:27 | 56 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 111/24
Overall: 20/202
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: The course was an oval with an additional out-and-back "appendage". We did three loops. The entire course was on farm roads, some with rough surfaces. Mostly flat, but a few good hills and extremely exposed to wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:23:33 | 13.1 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/24
Overall: 101/202
Performance: Below average
Course: This course was a 2-loop deal heading out across a beautiful dam and into the surrounding state park. It was flat as a pancake but offered absolutely no shade which made for tough going on a hot day without a cloud in the sky.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-25 1:43 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: 2007 Toyota Challenge HIM

2007-09-25 2:06 PM
in reply to: #978597

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio
Subject: RE: 2007 Toyota Challenge HIM

Good for you on a good finish on a tough day. I was wondering if any one else thought it was a little breezy. I did the Mini and noticed it seemed to pick up on my 2nd loop and wondered if it was just my being a little tired. I admire you for doing the 1/2 and felt bad that it was so hot on the run for you all. Do you think the heat was an  factor in your stomach issue?? Have you ever tried Infinite instead of gels.??..I ask 'cause I had prob. with gels making me sick on the run at my 1/2 in the DATT races earlier in the season and switched and have not had any prob. since. But I know you will figure it out. Again Good race and have a good off season...if this was your last race of the season.

Chris

2007-09-25 3:39 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Wow, great race in tough conditions!  I'm impressed.   I think you raced a beautiful race, as evidenced by the feeling in your legs...they were fine! 

2 HIM in one year, plus another winter of base, and you're gonna be scary next summer.

2007-09-25 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
The funny thing about this sport is that sometimes the weather ignores our plans. I know you are a bit disappointed in the results, but really you ran a great race: Smoking swim, stuck to the plan on the bike (despite the temptation) and 'gutted' it out on the run. Your report, as always, was very compelling. Now go crack open that beer...
2007-09-25 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Independence, KY

Hey Rich nice race and race report.   It was frickin hot out there and it made it really tough.   

I'm not sure if you remember me or not but I'm the guy who asked after the race if you hit your 6 hr goal?  I had no idea you were a BTer...  What a small world.

2007-09-25 8:53 PM
in reply to: #979031

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
moreland007 - 2007-09-25 5:33 PM

I'm not sure if you remember me or not but I'm the guy who asked after the race if you hit your 6 hr goal?  I had no idea you were a BTer...  What a small world.

Ha! That's classic-- of course I remember you. It just goes to show that the nicest folks are all BTers!

2007-09-26 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Rich,
Nice race.  You followed your plan, and that is what was most important.  You had no way of knowing that the temps would be in the low 90's.  This is late September, it could have been mid 50's or low 60's. 

Once you figure out your neutrition, you will break that 6 hour mark.  It is really a matter of finding out what works or does not work.  When you train try the same neutrition you want to use on race day.  I had at my first oly this year, the same experence with stomic issues.  I think that the gel does have some impact, but I don't know why.

Congrats, that is still a great race.

2007-09-26 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
It looks like you meet me after all I was the other guy on the Guru Crono that's too funny. Great job out there it was a tough day. I really slowed it down on the last lap of the bike I wanted to have something left for the run I knew that was going to be hard. It was good to see you in T2 you must have had a strong 3rd lap. Great race report and there is no doubt in my mine you would have broke 6Hrs if the conditions were better, do you realize that only 47 people broke 2hrs. on the run, it was just brutal.

great job hope to see you in the future.

Ron
2007-09-26 10:07 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Dude, 90+ degrees is all ya gotta say.  The way I sweat I woulda been lucky to get off the course alive!  Solid race in tough conditions.  Now to start planning for 08....
2007-09-26 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Elm Grove
Good race, I am looking forward to my first HIM next year.
2007-09-27 6:22 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Oh- I believe your sub six will come soon enough.  I give you a lot of credit for taking it easy on the bike- especially with a great new bike like that!!!   More power to ya!!

2007-09-27 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY
Glad that I got the opportunity to meet and race along with you. It was a rough day out there between the wind and the heat. Looks like we more or less followed same unfortunate path to misery on the run Great job sucking it up and seeing it through!
2007-09-27 10:55 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Great race and very smart of you to adjust given conditions and how you were feeling.

Sub 6 you'll get there and it will be sweeter as it was challenging to get it.

Very good dad you are to scout the best place for your family to cheer you on and be sure they are cool and comfortable!

More salt to avoid cramps? Average sweat of 16 oz has 500 mg of sodium...electrolytes if they are hammer don't have much in them. I sweat a lot and need a lot of sodium or I'm cramping like crazy on the run.

2007-09-27 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
nice race re-cap. I did the sprint and felt for the guys and gals doing the half. My BIL, did the half. He was whipped after he was done.

A couple more comments.

- I saw your wife and child in the tent. I thought, now those guys have done this before. Nice set-up. There was no shade on the course nor for the spectators there.

- Regarding the funny splits. "Funny" things happen all the time. From cutting out segments, cutting out whole laps, or starting in the wrong wave. I was at t2 when the leaders came in. The first one into t2 was > 23 mins faster than second. That guy DNFed so he may have realized his mistake.

I would caution one about soley judging on ranking differences to spot these mistakes. I was 85 swim/39 bike(with a dropped chain in the middle of the first hill)/84 run. I can't swim or run right now, but on a reasonably flat course, I can hold my own.
2007-09-27 12:27 PM
in reply to: #981270

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
ohiost90 - 2007-09-27 11:28 AM

- Regarding the funny splits. "Funny" things happen all the time. From cutting out segments, cutting out whole laps, or starting in the wrong wave. I was at t2 when the leaders came in. The first one into t2 was > 23 mins faster than second. That guy DNFed so he may have realized his mistake.

I would caution one about soley judging on ranking differences to spot these mistakes. I was 85 swim/39 bike(with a dropped chain in the middle of the first hill)/84 run. I can't swim or run right now, but on a reasonably flat course, I can hold my own.

I hear ya. But in this case, I actually saw an athlete clearly marked with an "H", who appeared to be in his mid-to-late-30's and riding stronger than me, cut off a substantial part of the course. I was simply reviewing the final results to see who may have been the offender.
2007-09-27 1:34 PM
in reply to: #981370

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
scoobysdad - 2007-09-27 1:27 PM

ohiost90 - 2007-09-27 11:28 AM

I hear ya. But in this case, I actually saw an athlete clearly marked with an "H", who appeared to be in his mid-to-late-30's and riding stronger than me, cut off a substantial part of the course. I was simply reviewing the final results to see who may have been the offender.

I read that you saw the guy. And I think you understood that my comments where directed to people only looking at splits to detect mistakes. As I stated "soley judging on ranking differences to spot these mistakes".

Since we are on the topic, interesting article on slowtwich today...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Athletes/Medal_winner_at_age_group_W...

2007-09-28 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Rich, I liked absolutely everything about the race except that apparently it was not marshaled. Us competitors shoud try to change that. My splits in the sprint duathlon were 37/55, 3/55, and 30/55. I was able to do that, I conclude, because I am an ex-cyclist and 10 years of not cycling (after getting pretty good) did not affect me nearly as much as 14 years of not running. Luckily for me, I don’t think there was an easy way to cut the sprint duathlon course, so I doubt I'll face questioning from anyone. Of course, I could have cycled through a corn field .

It is too bad results are open to questioning. But, since you witnessed people cheating and I witnessed people cheating (I turned in a guy for drafting – I think the only action taken, as I would want, was that he was warned), participants are naturally open to question results.

In your event, a marshal could have at least camped out at the appendage junction in order to disqualify any HIM participants that turned early (noting that at least some of them would have been fair and disqualified themselves).

Bottom line; it is fun competing, it is fun training, and my primary concern is with my personal progress. But, in addition to all that, it would still be nice if we could trust that final results are accurate.

Let’s take Mister 62/202, 18/202, 60/202 off the hook for the time being, and all speak up at these races to request more/some marshaling. I actually looked this guy up on Athlinks.com and saw that he consistently cycles at 21-22 MPH range for the HIM.

After we get our marshaling, we’ll work on drug testing. (ha ha)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2007 Toyota Challenge HIM Rss Feed