General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic distance training and serious running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-27 11:57 PM

Subject: Olympic distance training and serious running
Hi all, I didn't visit this forum for more than 1/2 year while I was training for my first marathon (and BQ). Now I achieved my goal of qualifing for Boston (yeh!) and have started thinking about my next goal. I have completed two Sprint tri's and now want to do Olympic distance. I would like to finish Top 1/2 in my AG. I am also planning to run two marathons (Boston in April and another one in Oct).

Question is, how can I train for the Tri while maintain or preferrably improving my running? I would like to PR in the Fall marathon (<3:40) and other short races during summer. If I train 6 days/week (with 1 day double), how many sessions do I swim/bike/run? I have no problem completing 1200yd swim at this point but slow. As far as the biking goes, I have a decent endurance but I never learned proper techniques (and I don't even own my own bike at this point. I used my husband's mountain bike with road tires in my two Sprint tri's. I plan to purchase a road bike as a present to myself for my achievement!) If I choose a Tri race in June, I still have 18weeks or so to my Fall marathon. So I shouldn't be too concerned about my running and just focus on improving Swim/Bike? (But I like running and winning AG in local 5k/10k races.....) Shouldn't I chase too many goals?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Yoshiko

2004-10-28 8:53 PM
in reply to: #76719

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Olympic distance training and serious running

So many people think that sprint/Olympic distance triathlons and marathon running are mutually exclusive, but actually, you can do both, and do well in both.  Consider any 5K/10K runs as running workouts, regardless of whatever race you're doing.  Don't back off, just call the race a 'workout'.  On your non-running days, swim and/or bike, and concentrate on form.  Good swimming form will go a long way to improving your speed.  Try to bike as often as you can: instead of driving on short errands (to the store and back, etc.), take the bike.  Dodging potholes, taking turns at a decent speed, etc. will help your bike technique.

I know I just read an article in either Inside Triathlon or Triathlete Magazine this month about triathlons & marathon training.  You should still be able to find it somewhere.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic distance training and serious running Rss Feed