General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breathing cold air... inducing asthma/ chest cold Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-28 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Subject: Breathing cold air... inducing asthma/ chest cold
Since middle school x country ski, I've noticed that when I exercise in cold air I end up with bronchitis or at least very irritated lungs.

HELP! I love to run outside now. I swear last time I ran it was in the 40's and i'm suffering. That didn't even seem cold.

It seems to help to breathe through something, but I haven't found anything that will stay in place & is comfortable.

Has anyone heard of this! What can I do? Any ideas of what to breathe through?

2004-10-28 8:32 AM
in reply to: #76750

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Breathing cold air... inducing asthma/ chest cold
Check out the Pearl Izumi Microsensor Facemask. It's on the cycling accessories page of their site.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/pearlizumi/site/catalog/product.aspx?iPro...
2004-10-28 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Do you have asthma? If so, it may be a matter of adjusting your medication. This was a problem for me, but since my doc put me on an Advair/Singulair combo I ran in temps as low as 15 degrees (F) last winter with no problem.
2004-10-28 9:42 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
i have the SAME problem. i have had asthma since jr. high, but don't use medication at all until the temp drops. dry, cold air is the worst for asthmatic lungs. in previous years, i've taken singulair. the very first week i ever took it, my husband and i went xc skiing along the river. herring boning up the steep hill on the way out, bill had to take off his skis and walk...but i kept going. i almost cried. weeks before i had had to stop numerous times, but with the singulair my lungs were happy and i could keep going. i haven't started taking it yet, since i haven't had a problem so far, but i have albuterol just in case. this year, when training for tris, i tried advair, but i couldn't tell a difference. my asthma is SO mild, that winter is really the only time i can tell i have it. as for not getting bronchitis, keeping asthma under control will help. for me a cold + my asthma + winter = bronchitis. i do hot eucalyptus baths, neti, and lots of tea too.
2004-10-28 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
I have the same problem - I have asthma that acts up very rarely, and cold air is one of the few things that will set it off. I have an albuterol inhaler that I use when my lungs bug me - seems to work pretty well. Also, my lungs do get used to the cold air after a while...
2004-10-28 11:04 AM

Veteran
The Emerald City
I now use Advair to control my asthma. Before Advair I couldn't go out for a walk during the cold months, but now I can. i keep my albuterol handy just in case, but so far I haven't had to use it.

2004-10-28 3:18 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
i'm so glad that others know what i go through each winter. which is a slight cold that becomes a mega chest infection that leaves me wheezing and clogged with sputum. it's as if the cold goes away, but it lingers in my chest for another two weeks.

anyone have any suggestions? def. worried about the upcoming flu season sans vaccine. i'm a very cautious germ-a-phobe and wash my hands plenty, however, i always manager to get one nasty infection in the winter.
2004-10-28 3:26 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Thanks everyone! The only ashmatic problems I've had is while working out in the cold air. Come to think of it tho- there were a few times in the spring and fall where my lungs did feel irritated. I wonder if something in the air could trigger something.

Maybe it is time to talk to the doc.
2004-10-28 3:46 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I was just diagnosed with mild Asthma 2 years ago at age 40. The main time it acts up is when I get a cold. My colds last 2-4 weeks with terrible congestion, that gets into my lungs and becomes infected and I hack all the time, and can't lie down without coughing continuously. Thus I never get sleep and get worse.

Now when I get a cold, I get on antibiotics within 2-3 days normally I take Zithromax, and I get better within 2-3 days. With a cold I take albutrol and between the two meds. I get better so quicker.

I used to get this nasty cold once ever 3 years, then every year and now I get it 2-5 times a year. I just hate it and it keeps getting worse. But for me taking antibiotics and using Albutrol when the cold comes really helps so much.

The other exercising issue I have with asthma, is my nose runs when I do anything outside if it is a bit chilly...under 60. Anyone else get this? My Dad who is a retired physician says it is from mucous membranes swelling with exercise.

This will be my first winter training outside in the winter and I wonder how I will be effected. I did score a flu shot yesterday!

Kathy
2004-10-28 5:01 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Kathy-
this is kind of gross.... but I like to wear my fleece gloves for blowing my nose on when running & then I just throw them in the wash after the run.

Also funny that even tho- 2 of my sisters have developed asthma in adulthood I never thought I had asthma. Maybe I do, too.
2004-10-28 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Asthma sucks..... I use Singulair on a regular basis (all year long - keeps in under control).  For running in the winter, I cover my mouth with a "hard-hat liner".  It is used by anyone who wears a hard hat during winter months for keeping the ears warm.  But I wear it around my neck and up over my nose & mouth.  If it gets too warm, I just pull it down, so my nose is out, but it still covers my mouth.

http://www.benmeadows.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=4097  (Windgard Winter Liner) Living way up here, it works very well during our winter months

2004-10-28 8:49 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

TriBarbie - 2004-10-28 8:20 AM  It seems to help to breathe through something, but I haven't found anything that will stay in place & is comfortable. Has anyone heard of this! What can I do? Any ideas of what to breathe through?

I wrap a lightweight scarf around my neck and head.  Then if I get way too hot I can pull it down (altho I'm asking for trouble if I do)

Dx with asthma 3 or 4 yrs ago.  I have to take Singulair and Advair, use pirbuterol before I run, and I STILL get a tight chest  when the temps drop below 45 or so (when I run outside, that is).  I went to an allergist recently and she put me on yet another inhaled steroid, I can't remember the name.  It seems to have everything under control but I really HATE taking all of these steroids.  My yoga instructor has convinced me to invest iin a Neti Pot. 

2004-11-01 1:01 PM

Regular
Hi Barbie,

I have the same thing. I went to a naturopathic DOCTOR(emphasis on DR not just someone giving out herbal remedies) last week after a reaction to my inhaler (heart palpitations, etc) and she gave me lobelia in a liquid form. It really works. So I would suggest to try the alternatives to see if they work if your asthma isn't severe because there are a lot of side effects.

Wish you luck!

Stacey
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breathing cold air... inducing asthma/ chest cold Rss Feed