Red Rock Co.
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/11
Pre-race routine:

Was a bit nervous, so I was only able to choke down a banana and some water. Bike already racked the night before. Set up my transition area and chatted with the people around me.
Event warmup:

Tried not to think about the impending doom in the gloomy lake and stood with the 300 other women with red swim caps in my swim wave. The music pumped me up.
Swim
  • 23m 6s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water temp was perfect. I was so nervous going into this swim, but once I started going and got my groove on, I just swam. Had no problems sighting, and actually didn't sight that much. Just kept my head in the water and kept swimming. It got a bit crowded rounding the bouys. There was one lady in front of me that flipped over on her back to swim and as my arm came around to stroke, my hand landed right on her crotch! The look on her face was priceless. Hey, it was an accident. I just apologized and swam around her. Before I knew it the swim was over and I was so happy I finished it.
What would you do differently?:

Considering the issues I have been having with OWS, this race was incredible and a milestone for me. Those five months of swimming lessons were totally worth it!
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

I decided to forego the socks and gloves. For a sprint distance I didn't think I would need them. Besides that, it's hard to put socks on wet feet.

I've got to try clipping my shoes onto the bike, then putting them on after I get on the bike.
Bike
  • 40m 50s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out passing LOTS of people and began to wonder there was something I didn't know about the course that I should take it easy at first. But I guess I was just strong on the bike and continued to pass people on the bike throughout the course. The corners were a bit tight because the oly distance people were starting to get on the course.

I need to push myself a bit more on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

I tried to avoid sitting down to change my shoes, but I kept falling, so I had to sit down and put my socks and shoes on, and grabbed my bottle of HEED and visor and off I went. This was too slow.

I don't know, the sock issue is what slows me down.
Run
  • 30m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I could have pushed myself a bit more on the run, but I was having such fun out there and talking to people on the course. The aid stations were spaced out just right.

I brought some shot bloks with me instead of gel and it is hard to chew those bloks when running. A gel would have gone down much easier, so I spent the rest of the run picking shot blok chunks out of my teeth. Next time I'll try to run a bit faster. I did have enough in me to sprint to the finish line and passed about three people.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some breakfast that was being served at the finish line and waited for my friends to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was having too much fun and was enjoying myself too much. I didn't feel competitive. I had competed with myself during the swim and conquered that, so the rest was gravy.

Event comments:

This race is definitely on my race calendar for next year.

Last updated: 2007-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:06 | 820 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: trisuit
Course: square course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:50 | 12 miles | 17.63 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: 6 mile rectangular course through closed city streets.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:39 | 03.1 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Run course was one lap around the lake on the multi-use path and over two bridges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-27 10:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Subject: Timex Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-09-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: #981110

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Timex Triathlon - Sprint Distance
AWESOME!! So glad to read you had a great swim and overcame some issues and reached some OWS goals!!!  You had a great race and it SHOULD be fun, so you were right on!!  Sock tip: When setting up transition, put your socks on, and then roll them down starting at the ankle and roll toward you toes, and just leave a little "toe pocket". Then gently lay them in the hole of your shoe. When you come into transition with wet feet, you just put your toe in them, and roll the sock onto your foot. It really works great!!!
2007-09-27 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job during the race, and it was great to meet you on Saturday at packet pcik up!  Hope to see you again the next time you come to the Valley!
2007-09-27 3:00 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

LOL! That situation during the swim was hilarious! Good thing it wasn't a guy in that spot.

Great race all around! Congrats!

2007-09-28 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Great race ! It was so nice to meet you and see you at the start of our swim wave!
2007-09-29 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Gilbert, AZ
Excellent race report! I'm going to have to start with the women next time so I can try that "hand-crotch" think with a little "sorry" after the fact! lol

I may avoid gloves next time also. My T1 was over 3 minutes. I knew it was slow, but I just dragged butt big time, so any little thing will help [I also read Tanya's advice on the socks - I obviously need to practice my transitions].

Thanks for not bringing up the fact that I chatted with you as you passed me on the Mill bridge!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timex Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed