Duxbury Beach Triathlon
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 20s
Overall Rank = 413/504
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 28/34
Pre-race routine:

I wasn't too stressed about this race. I was just doing it for fun. I knew my run and swim would be lousy due to ongoing injuries.
I got up at 4:45 so we could get there by 5:30. My daughter and her friend came with me and were volunteering to be bodymarkers.

Found a good parking spot.
Event warmup:

Got a nice spot in transition. Turns out that the girl next to me also works at the same hosptal. We chatted a bit.
Talked with some friends from master's.
Everyone had to walk 1/2 mile over the wooden bridge so that we could swim back under it.
I swam for 7-10 minutes.
The water felt way warmer than last year which was a definite plus.
Swim
  • 15m 54s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the first wave. How stupid is that to put all women 40 and over in the 1st wave..then 3 minutes later men 40 and over then elites and under 29...weird.
I was chatting with a girl I swim with when the horn went off...took us by suprise, we didn't even have our goggles on. The first part of the swim was decent until the first wave of men 40 and over came swimming on top of us. Every time someone came near me I started kicking like crazy.
What would you do differently?:

Next year I plan to stay way way over to the right of the buoys in a place that nobody else wants to be.
The problem is that the incoming tide pushes everyone to the left. I ended up right up against all the buoys.

My swim time for this race last year was about a minute faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

long run...I stopped to walk because I was winded.
Lately my wetsuit has been getting stuck on my arms too. I spent the whole time going to T1 getting it off my wrists.
Then I had to wrestle it off my ankles too..WTF. I used body glide plus pam. It should have come off more easily.

Take the whole wetsuit off right when I exit the water.That is when it's the easiest. The problem is I am always dizzy after swimming and would most definitely make a fool of myself falling down in front of the many spectators.
Bike
  • 42m 53s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a blast on the bike. I really like this course and it didn't seem as crowded as previous years. Maybe being in the first wave had something to do with it. Coming back over the 1/2 mile wooden bridge we had to stay single file. Luckily I didn't have anyone slow in front of me and I didn't hold anyone up.
My daughter and her friend were cheering for me at the end of the bridge...love that!
The bike and run course both have changed slightly this year...both a little shorter.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

I'm a slow transitioner...race belt, tie shoes, hat. How hard is that?

As I was running my bike into transition they were announcing the winner...Jarrod Shoemaker. Holy crap! I can't imagine being that fast.

not use transition as a time of rest.:)
Run
  • 34m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I banished all negative thoughts from my head since I knew I would get passed like crazy...which I did.
My hip started talking to me at about the first mile. I just stayed at my pace and only walked the aid stations.
Talked to a few people.

Not hurt my hip all the time
Post race
Warm down:

got water and a banana.
I packed up and left pretty quickly as both Lizzy and her friend had babysitting jobs that day.

My time for this race last year was 1:38:19...one second faster. Too bad the bike course was shorter by 0.7 and the run by 0.2. Oh well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

injuries to hip and shoulder, weight gain, not enough training

Event comments:

I like this race more now that they have only one transition area. It just feels easier...not such a big deal. I hope it stays that way for next year.
I'll do it no matter what because its only a 15 minute drive for me.

Last updated: 2007-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:54 | 880 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/504
Performance: Average
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: swim from one end of Powder Point bridge to the other and keep the orange buoys on your left. I did find myself to the right of one of the buoys because the incoming tide is pushing everyone over.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:53 | 13 miles | 18.19 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back...lollipop style.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:42 | 03.1 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Course: loop course starting over the wooden bridge and coming back over the bridge. Then some nasty soft sand that goes into your running shoes right before the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-27 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Subject: Duxbury Beach Triathlon

2007-09-27 12:39 PM
in reply to: #981295

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Duxbury Beach Triathlon

nice race Patty.  I'm glad you were able to do it after all the nagging things you've had going on this summer.  Stress free racing is the way to go 

2007-09-27 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great race report!!! Nice to see that they are doing races in Duxbury, I grew up there and when I saw your RR, it took me by surprise to see the name of my old town, not too many towns with names like that. Glad to hear the old wood bridge is still around, that has got to be bumpy riding though, at least from what I remember. Anyhow great race and RR thanks for sharing.
2007-09-27 8:24 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Awesome job Patty!

Glad you were able to do this race with the injury issues that you have had on/off this season. Nice pace...look at that bike split...sweet!

Starting first wave is nice when you are a strong cyclist.....not so many slow pokes to pass and dodge around.

I wish I had done it too.....maybe next year...or the year after.

Congrats!

2007-09-27 8:55 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Great job Patty!  It's nice to have a race that is close to home. 

2007-09-28 7:29 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Glad you had a great time -- that's what it's all about (BYT - I never heard of 40+ year-old women being the first wave....)

2007-09-28 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Great job Patty - sounds like you ran a smart race and toughed out the run.
2007-09-30 10:33 AM

User image

South Shore, Massachusetts
Nice race Patty. Sorry I didn't see you there. I was in the 2nd wave, but I guarantee I wasn't one of the ones that swam over you. I enjoyed the single transition area too. It makes pre- and post-race much less stressful. I also like that they eliminated the hill going around the Duxbury monument. Coming back down that hill could be dicey! I did not train much at all and did it for the fun of it. It was the first time I didn't push myself and it was a blast. Of course my time suffered significantly. Like you, I'll be there every year. Great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duxbury Beach Triathlon Rss Feed