La Crosse Family YMCA
56F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 10m 15s
Overall Rank = 367/465
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/28
Pre-race routine:

Drove to La Crosse Friday afternoon for a 7 a.m. Saturday race. Stayed at my sister's house. Woke at 5 a.m., ate a half bagel with PB, Gatorade and a banana. I couldn't get my HRM to link to my watch so no HR data. As you will read later, no big deal. I was very nervous both Friday and Saturday. I have never attempted this distance and my training was up and down. Also, last Sunday's GI issues were in the back of my head. Making matters worse, my on-again, off-again sciatic nerve issue was on again during the week.
Event warmup:

Parked about 1/2 mile away, easy run to the packet pick-up tent at about 6:20 a.m. Pinned my number on, stretched some more and found some friends who were doing the race too. We chatted right up to the start.
Run
  • 2h 10m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

It was truly an amazing experience for me. I ran the first 6.5 miles without stopping. This is a major accomplishment for me. After the turn around at 6.5, the wind picked up and my mile times slowed considerably. Also, the distance was becoming a factor. Miles 8 and 9 were decent but at the water station at mile 10 things started to get "interesting". My back started to disagree with me and the legs and feet were joining in the conversation. My left foot started to become painful on the bottom front pad. Thankfully my knee was doing very well throughout the race. At about the 11.5 mile mark I stopped about half way up the aforementioned steep bridge. BAD IDEA! Immediate cramping of the left hamstring/calf/foot. OUCH! For just a brief 15 seconds the thought entered my head that I wouldn't be able to finish. I went to the curb, propped my foot up and stretched by bending at the waist. I turned to run and...I felt good! I ran the final portion of the race with no real issues except my right foot pain. My goal was 2:07. At the 10 mile mark I needed a 28 min 5K to hit that. Even on a good day, a 28 minute 5K is a hard push for me much less after 10 hard miles. So my time of 2:10 was more than acceptable. The chip time was actually 2:09:56.9.
What would you do differently?:

More consistent training and lose the final 25 pounds to get to my goal weight of 215. My race plan was great. The nutrition plan was great. I had a gel at 6.5 miles. The course had water/Gatorade at mile one and then every two miles after that. It was great! I had both water and Gatorade at every station. The only thing missing was Endurolytes for the cramping. It may have helped. I was VERY HAPPY with my mental focus today. I ran MUCH BETTER without the HRM. I went by how I felt not by what the watch said. HRM might be useful for training but I doubt that I will ever run a race with one again.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to many friends. It was like "old home week" for me. I was born and raised in La Crosse. Many friends did the 5 mile race and two good friends did the half marathon. Ate some bagel pieces, a banana and more water and Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping in the legs and back. Not enough training miles I suppose.

Event comments:

This race was awesone. It is run by the YMCA of La Crosse and they put on a first class race. The aid stations were fully stocked and had plenty of volunteers. The course was well marked and protected by law enforcement and volunteers. Finishing along the parade route of one of the largest parades in the Midwest was really cool too.

Last updated: 2007-09-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:10:15 | 13.1 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/28
Overall: 367/465
Performance: Good
8:45 first mile was my best, everything else was mid 9's until the turn around. I hit the turn at 1:01
Course: Pretty flat city streets. Two bridges, one over train tracks that was pretty steep and a flat one over the Black River. Miles 3-10 were little hilly and the wind picked up at mile 7.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-30 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: YMCA Maple Leaf 1/2 Marathon

2007-10-01 1:50 PM
in reply to: #984379

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: YMCA Maple Leaf 1/2 Marathon
Great Job! Way to over come the challenges. I have stretched mid-race before. Sometimes it is what you have got to do.
2007-10-01 1:59 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Great job Pete!  Try some endurolytes or something similar.  They work great for preventing cramps!
2007-10-02 9:27 PM

User image

Master
Elm Grove
Great job!!!! Looking forward to some more rides together.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YMCA Maple Leaf 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed