Wilmington YMCA
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 6s
Overall Rank = 553/592
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 56/57
Pre-race routine:

I had packed two nights earlier because I left from work on Friday. It was a big help packing so completely, so early. 1 Nature Valley Granola bar and a PowerBar for breakfast at 4:30 with a can of Coke. Left for the race sight at 5:15 arrived at 5:30 and parking looked crazy, so we parked a half mile away. Pumped the tires, loaded up, and hiked to transition. I still take too much to transition, I'm always worried I'm going to lose a contact or be suddenly hungry like my 1st race. Besides forgetting to grab a swim back and having to waste some time going to get it, everything went smooth. I met NickinNC in transition because he found me. I was a bad BT friend this race, I forgot to write down numbers before I left. SlimFast shake at 6:15, this is my normal weekday breakfast. We were at the bus stop at 6:20 and arrived at the swim start about 6:40, plenty of time for a pit stop and a meeting with my friend's swim coach for advice.
Event warmup:

Swam out maybe 50-100 yards to see where the water pushed us. Billy got pushed left, I was pretty straight. Then bounced around in the water for the last 10 minutes. I was hacking up a lung wishing I had brought water.
Swim
  • 29m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I screwed up in my thinking. I was set to start from the same area as my warm-up, but people were going around me to the strarting line and Billy had been pushed left, so I moved right and when I started I compensated a little right. On breath to my right I thought I saw a boat heading toward me, but it was the boat tied up beside the start, I had swam diagonally to the right, towards a spot Billy's swim coach had warned us to avoid!

When I corrected I found Billy, which I did not expect, he had swallowed water on his 1st breath, so now the pack was leaving both of us behind. We didn't panick and took it easy getting to the area protected from the wind. The swim actually felt good, but I'm amazed how easily our wave left us. I did get to draft on some of the other waves as they passed me.

Even though he'll read this, I have too admit, once we were heading for the left turn I had gotten ahead of Billy. I stopped to look a couple of times and then decided I would try to beat him to the ladders. Unfortunately, he took the turn much better, I got caught in a current pulling me past the ladders and it took me forever to make the last 75 yards! So good job Billy, you got me! :)

Long barefoot run to transition is included in the time.
What would you do differently?:

Not change my mind at the last second before start.

Maybe I need to practice barefoot running.
Transition 1
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

My head was not in the race, I think I just took my time. I rinsed my feet before putting socks and shoes on. I even decided to rinse my trishorts some so they wouldn't get too stiff from the salt.

Hurry!
Bike
  • 48m 30s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Dead last on the bike. My legs are my limiter, my knees start to hurt if I push a bigger gear. I felt bad when we hit narrow coned ares going up the bridge, I didn't want to hold people up so I kept dodging right at breaks in the cones. One guy complted moved into the right lane to pass me, I hope he didn't get caught.

The roads were very rough for the 1st half, I saw one guy changing a flat and one guy walking his bike. Either the rough road jostled a lot of water bottles loose or all the elites were tossing them at the samer spot.

I thought I was pretty fast for my bike, but a couple of mountain bikes passed me, one with the huge tires and platform pedals. I held the center of my handle bars and got down as aero as I could.

The downhill on Oleander was better pavement, but cars were pulling into and out of driveways making things a little dicey. This is where I gave up on my 16 mph average, I was averaging just over 15 and counting on this portion to get over it. When the wind slowed me down even on the downhill I wimped out and decided to save myself for the run.

I dismounted well, not leaping out of my shoes, but I took one leg off, coasted to the line and slammed on the breaksrotating my body and foot out of the remaining pedal.

Get a new bike. Bike more leading up to the race. I had missed too many bike workouts as it started getting dark sooner. I'll have to get an indoor trainer too.
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

I was diappointed with the bike and was just aiming to finish.

Don't quit, hurry.
Run
  • 28m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start of my run I saw my wife screaming encouragement and felt better, then I looked at my watch and realized that I could still finish in under 2 hours and felt much better.

My legs were not as excited as I was, but they came around. Billy said he looked for me at the turn around, but I didn't look for him. It didn't even occur to me during the race. I knew he was long gone. But I was going to make my overall ammended goal so I was still smiling. Around the back half of the course I picked it up a little. I had walked through the 1st water station and walking through the second I realized I had too much fluid in my stomach, so I dumped the cup on my head and started running. I accelerated slowly, but steadily the rest of the race. I commented to someone that it was time to let it all hang out, but I'm think I could have pushed harder.

I need to work on my speed and form. I also need to finish more exhausted.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down, although after hugging family and friends and having a couple pictures taken I did go off to transition where I stretched before packing my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My legs are not strong enough, I need to do some serious strength training. It was not my cold, at least not physically. I actually felt pretty good once the hacking was done before the swim. It was the thought of the cold, I was worried during the week, when I was feeling worse, that I would not finish, so I kept holding back during the race, saving to make sure I could at least walk accross the finish line.

Event comments:

The swim is the best part of this race. Its a very crowded race, but I talk to more people at smaller races. Its tough to get there early enough. I will do this race again because of the swim.

Last updated: 2007-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:46 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 54/57
Overall: 521/592
Performance: Average
More like 27 minutes swimming.
Suit: Trishorts
Course: Point to point, sort of an S-curve, but more like a stair step with one right and one left.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:30 | 12.43 miles | 15.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 57/57
Overall: 565/592
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Started out rough with a general slight uphill, finished with a gradual downhill, but into the wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:28:36 | 03.11 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 53/57
Overall: 485/592
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly a concrete loop, very flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-30 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon

2007-10-01 9:21 AM
in reply to: #984471

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Subject: RE: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
Nice job on your first time at this race, I hope you come back to do it.
Don't sweat the bike, once you get a road bike or tri bike you will see a big difference.
Nice to meet you before the race!
2007-10-02 4:05 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Mark, you are a superstar. What a rockin' swim, despite a bit of drift ... and it is much more noble to push through when you're having a hard time than to coast when you're feeling well, so CONGRATULATIONS. And the run ... yeah, you found your legs! That's a great time!

Well done!

2007-10-03 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Great race report! You did awesome! Congrats dude! Good job correcting yourself on the swim course and not panicking. WIth the limited training you have been able to have with the new baby and all, you did awesome on this course! And it was great your wife could be there to cheer for you, I know that feels awesome! Good job! 
2007-10-03 9:07 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Awesome race report!  Congrats on getting under 2 hours ...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed