Richmond Multisports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 37m 59s
Overall Rank = 44/55
Age Group = athena
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Racked my bike, got body marked, got my chip. My bib was #1, so I got to go around saying "I'm number one!" Went to the port o potty, set up transition, went and looked at the foggy river and the bouys that no one could see. They delayed the start by 1 hour to let some fog burn off. So a lot of waiting...
Event warmup:

Just a little swimming, teeth chattering.
Swim
  • 43m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a very difficult swim. First of all, sighting was really tough, especially on the first leg when it was still really foggy. Secondly, both out and back legs had a cross current, which made staying on course tough. Third, there were attack bouys! When you finally got close to a bouy, it would all of a sudden be moving, and then on top of you, and then you'd get tangled in its anchor line. This happened to me 3 times!!
What would you do differently?:

Stay farther away from the bouys! I could have focused more on my stroke, also. Sometimes I got into the grove, but often I was worried about sighting and breathing every stroke and looking around, etc.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

No problems on the transition. I saw Richard leaving just as I was getting to my bike.
23rd / 55
1st / 2
Bike
  • 1h 32m 3s
  • 26 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike. I worked hard! I passed more people than I was passed by. I passed, got passed, and repassed two guys a few times. One of them had an ironman tatoo. Gatorade handoff was smooth. Hills were pretty good. There were some people walking hills. I rode past them at 5 mph, wheezing, ha. Max speed was 37.6 mph.

nada
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

no problems. it was getting pretty sunny, so i poured some water on me before taking off.
35th / 55
1st / 2

i should have pulled the timing chip out from under my sock. it was rubbing and painful and I had to stop on the run to fix it.
Run
  • 1h 18m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

well, i had no expectations. i just wanted to finish. i started running. i started getting abdominal cramps (which has been a problem recently). i let myself walk for a minute at mile 1 and mile 2, and then at all the water stops. The cramps lasted for 4 miles. Painful, but bearable. Slowed me down obviously. I did have some times where I felt good and strong. Then mile 4, the cramps finally diminished, at which point I realize, Holy cow, I'm exhausted. I hadn't noticed before how spent my legs were. mile 4 was good. I saw richard around there and he was only a mile into it. i spent the rest of the race wondering what happened to him. i thought he must have had a flat, but actually he got lost and did 14 extra miles on the bike. mile 5 i started having the threat of runner's trots. I wasn't running for the finish anymore, but the port-o-potty. staying cool was tough, but i did a pretty good job, i think. run course was low on shade.

train more.

also, i gotta figure out the whole gas cramps thing. tried phazyme this time, didn't help. or not much. i ate less before and almost nothing during the race.
Post race
Warm down:

10 min in the port-o-potty. limp over to food and drink. i went to wait for richard to come in. but then i thought, he probably finished already, so i went to look for him. didn't have energy to look. got my cheesburger. ate it. got up to go to transition, and there was richard finishing. i got him food and drink and consoled him on getting lost. we stayed for the awards. i won the athena division!! i think there were only two of us though, so that's pathetic, but i'll take it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

light on training this year. fog on the water. bad bouys. abdominal cramping.

Event comments:

This was a small, friendly race with great food and great swag (a dri shirt and an insulated bike bottle). It's a tough race, particularly in the swim. The miles were marked on both bike and run, although not with great precision. There were also friendly comments or info marked on the road. The volunteers and organization and support and food were all great. A big problem though was that there weren't volunteers at one corner, and a bunch of people took a wrong turn and biked extra (like my poor husband). They did figure it out and posted someone there later on.

Last updated: 2007-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:51 | 1640 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 36/55
Performance: Below average
Suit: zoot shorts and sport bra
Course: trapezoid in the river. long side with the current.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:32:03 | 26 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 26/55
Performance: Good
bike computer say 25.6 miles.
Wind: Some
Course: A pretty loop with 3 big hills, the rest rolling.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:18:06 | 06.21 miles | 12m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 51/55
Performance: Average
Course: out and back with two spurs, one a mile long right by the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-30 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: Naylor's Beach Triathlon

2007-09-30 8:19 PM
in reply to: #984607

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Naylor's Beach Triathlon
Congratulations, Rebecca!  That's a tough course and you had a great race! 
2007-10-02 8:57 AM

New user

Andover, MA
Great race on a tough course. Good job staying on the bike through those hills!

This is the first race that I have NOT had gas, so I can sympathize. This time I totally revamped my nutrition and cut out all high fiber foods 2 days prior (e.g., no oatmeal, fruit, etc.). Sticking to potatoes, rice, and other low-fiber/high-carb foods really made a difference. And I switched to a low-sugar drink on the bike (Hammer). By the end my legs hurt, but my stomach didn't!
2007-10-02 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Nice job on your race.  Attack Buoys!! First time I've heard of such a thing....thanks for the warning   Congrats again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naylor's Beach Triathlon Rss Feed