General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Branch Sprint Triathlon - September Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Long Branch Sprint Triathlon - September - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Long Branch, New Jersey
United States
Sandy Hookers Triathlon Club
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up late, didn't hear the alarm but pete came home from work around 4:15 and woke me up. showered dressed and got the stuff in the car. i mentally remarked to myself that this is so old hat now and there is no longer that anxiety about what to bring and where it is, nice and relaxed. pete came down with shay first and she was all bright eyed and said, "mommy race, where you bike?" i told her it was already on the car and she said "ok". then he goes up and gets cate and she is just as excited about "race day", i think that is so cool, i'm still putting money aside for therapy just in case for them but i don't think this is damaging them too much. we get down to the race and pete runs off to make a potty stop while i'm still getting myself together. cate says "hey mommy, tigers are fast and they are strong...so go get 'em tiger". i have no idea where she comes up with these things!
Event warmup:

got myself set up and lucky me was making a trip to the potty right as they were unlocking it so i was assured no wait and paper, that never happens! met up with my sister-in-law's friend who was racing for the first time and met up with my cousin. made my way down the beach for the crazy new swim pattern run down, so confusing the way they explained it.
Swim
  • 04m 53s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

they explained this so bad! swim out to the second buoy, make a right and swim to the first buoy and make another right is what they should have said. they told everyone to swim out to the second buoy and turn right and start heading back in because the next buoy wasn't directly across but most people took that to mean that you should head back into shore. so as i am trying to make it across to the next buoy, people are swimming over me to make it in to shore. pandemonium! the water was cold and i think santa needs to bring me at least a shortie wetsuit this year for christmas, i have been good! not only cold but it felt like there were pebbles floating in the water. i have to admit that i rounded the last buoy by cutting in front of it, major traffic jam around the back side of it and i was a little annoyed seeing that others had maybe done 200 meters to my 400. wel maybe 399 by cutting in front of the buoy.
What would you do differently?:

steal the bull horn and give the swim directions myself
Transition 1
  • 04m 57s
Comments:

it was chilly so i brought a long sleeve shirt for the bike. i was going back and forth in my mind if i should use it but then decided on the beach that i would just wear it thinking the indecision would be worse on my time in T1. well maybe i should have dried my arms a little better, didn't think of that, just dried my feet as usual.

dried my arms
Bike
  • 35m 14s
  • 8.7 miles
  • 14.82 mile/hr
Comments:

you would think that with a mile shorter i would have done 5 minutes better but i didn't. they switched up the course because of injuries and complaints from last race. the way they switched it up was to wind you through a condo complex with many many turns. it was confusing and i am so bad with slowing down on turns and corners that i let it get to me mentally. saying "i'm so bad at this" during a race is not a good game plan. i had it up around 19, 20 for the rest of the straight aways but that being said now you can see how much i slow down with an average of less than 15mph!

not be such a weeney on turns
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

this time should be a little longer and the bike about 30 seconds shorter because i was off the bike and in transition before i hit my watch but whatever. i felt a little queasy here, not sure why but i didn't puke so that is good. i did take a little longer than i should have here.

pack extra mojo!
Run
  • 39m 24s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 12m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

left on the stinking long sleeve shirt, mistake 1. took the time to walk and eat some sports beans because i thought i would hurl. got my legs about 5 minutes into it and kept on going. at about mile 2 i was first passed byy and then caught up to my cousin christina. we decided to do the rest of it together which pushed me harder for some part but slowed us down because when we would agree to a walk break of 1 minute we would get to talking and 3 minutes would go by! when we got up to where the finish line usually is, a guy on the side said "the finish line is just around the corner" so we booked it to the corner to find he was wrong. we trudged up that street to find a little bit of a thing girl that said "you are almost there" so as we turned that corner and still could not see the finish we yelled back "define almost" so we get to the next corner and make a right and then at the end of that block was the finish line. christina and i crossed together and that was really cool.

not gab so much on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

kissed and hugged pete, the girls my grandmother and aunt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training since the danskin. i was happy that i did this one because i had fun but let's pretend i went out this season on the high note of danskin!

Event comments:

i need to focus on running and get a little more balsy on the bike.

Last updated: 2007-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:53 | 400 meters | 01m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: pseudo rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:14 | 08.7 miles | 14.82 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: way more twists ans turns
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:24 | 03.25 miles | 12m 07s  min/mile
Course: different and longer but longer than the volunteers would have you believe.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-30 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon - September

2007-09-30 8:53 PM
in reply to: #984716

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon - September

The water was like 70-72 degrees- perfect water temperature.  I'd even swim without a wetsuit  that if it was an ocean mile swim with wetsuit wearers not allowed to get age group awards. 

And those weren't pebbles in the oceanFrown.  They were bits of jellyfish or possibly fish eggs.  Given the fact I definitely felt at least one "whole" jellyfish during the swim, and from what I saw in the wet sand, I believe they were jellyfish bits.  And I swallowed a couple of them Frown  I tried to find you after I was done with my swim to warn you- but you must have already entered the water.  But I'll take the bits of jellyfish over stinging jellyfish any day (the stinging kind have not been out the last couple of years...)

Great race overall!

2007-10-01 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

wow, smoking fast swim! but then again - it is you swimming...

weird that they waited until the last race of the season to change things around, no?

love cate's "go get 'em tiger!" she's too much - and it totally works as a blog title.

2007-10-01 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran

Wow, sub 5 mins on the swim - even w/ the confusion.  You are Aqua-woman!!!  Not fair (I sound like my ds )  that they put so many turns on the bike route.  Sounds like you had a good time with the run, and there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ that!!! 

You  have had an awesome '07 season!!!!  Congrats!!

2007-10-01 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Holy Bamoley!!! You are one superfast swimmer!  Wanna come down and coach me?  Sounds like a fun race and phooey on them for putting to many corners and in a condo complex?  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  Anywho, good job
2007-10-01 8:29 PM
in reply to: #985219

User image

Veteran
marymosc13 - 2007-10-01 10:41 AM

weird that they waited until the last race of the season to change things around, no?

at the war at the shore race, they had two broken wrists, a five bike pile up and many near misses on that lincoln blvd (after you go around the lake and make a right, that concrete grooved section of road) that they wanted to exclude it from this race, tried it out for next year since they want to do another "official" race next year.  i think they need to go back to the drawing board on that one. 

2007-10-01 8:31 PM
in reply to: #986506

User image

Veteran

KLynne - 2007-10-01 7:57 PM Holy Bamoley!!! You are one superfast swimmer! Wanna come down and coach me? Sounds like a fun race and phooey on them for putting to many corners and in a condo complex? Dumb, dumb, dumb. Anywho, good job

thanks but i think a combo of the water temp and those gross jellyfish things as well as being pissed off at the confusion helped the most.

2007-10-01 8:33 PM
in reply to: #985842

User image

Veteran
crabsrule - 2007-10-01 2:51 PM

Wow, sub 5 mins on the swim - even w/ the confusion. You are Aqua-woman!!! Not fair (I sound like my ds ) that they put so many turns on the bike route. Sounds like you had a good time with the run, and there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ that!!!

You have had an awesome '07 season!!!! Congrats!!

i had a great time with the run that is for sure.  i also started reading this book titled Slow Fat Triathlete  it is a riot and is helping me embrace although still want to improve on my run time

2007-10-02 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran
just got an e-mail from the long branch group and it turns out that the bike was messed up by well meaning cops.  they decided on their own to cone off a lot of the course and ended up sending us through the condo complex when they were not supposed to.  the bike then was 8.7 instead of 8.5.
2007-10-02 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Very  nice job on the race!! Speedy Aqua woman!!! I think the things in the water were the comb jellies that we had here lst month.  I called them "eyeballs" because that's exactly what they felt like.  Really gross!!! Congrats on a fantastic year of triathlons.
2007-10-02 7:41 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...

Ick ick ick.  Like I wasn't worried enough about my OWS, now I'm going to be thinking about swallowing jellyfish eggs.  :-p 

Oh, and I guess I should say - WHOO WHOO WHOO!  Nice job - even if you were disappointed, I think its a great way to end up your season.

Kristen

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Branch Sprint Triathlon - September Rss Feed