Columbia Triathlong Association
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 45s
Overall Rank = 5/14
Age Group = Men
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

up at 5, got to the race site at 5:40. Had a pb&j on whole wheat and OJ in the car. Met up with doc and shelly to prestage a car so we wouldn't have to wait for the shuttle. Did that and then hung out and chatted with some people before the start.
Event warmup:

Nothing besides a few arm swings and light stretches.
Swim
  • 1h 11m 45s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a rough water swim. Started out with Dan and Shelly, saw Shelly next to me at least until we exited the marina. Once we got past the breakwaters you had to start really paying attention and trying to find the buoys and stay on course. Waves were generally coming from right to left so breathing to the left was easier. Sighting was tough as a lot of the times you popped your head up there was just a wall of water there, so you had to hope you sighted when you were at the crest of a wave. I was wide on the first half of the course. Definitely to the outside of a lot of the swimmers. I tried a few times to get over there but figured it wasn't worth that much effort as we all seemed to be headed in the right general direction. Once we made the turn for the bridge sighting was easier as that was a big enough landmark to see no matter how big the waves were. Once past the bridge I sighted better to the buoys. I also tried kicking up the pace as I knew I was in the latter half of the course. I had a hard time finding the finishing boat ramp as it wasn't marked and I was pretty confused as to where we were going. Just sort of passed the seawall and saw it off to my left so I turned in and that was it. There was supposed to be a current pushing us along, but I think the wind nullified that.
What would you do differently?:

Try to sight better, check out the finishing area before the race. I felt like i handled the waves and chop pretty well in terms of staying in a rhythm and keeping my wits about me. In the past (once in a race, several times in OW training), conditions like this have put me into survival mode, but I felt comfortable enough in those conditions to stay strong and keep a positive mindset.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Dan who was out before most, and then we kept a look out for Shelly to come in. Then we watched a lot of the swimmers come in and transition. Ate a few snacks and had some gatorade. Took our time to cool off/change and went for a run. Then watched the racers come through special needs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a fun race to do. Didn't specifically train for it.

Event comments:

CTA does a great job, there wasn't much to be done for the swim. Wish they had some more buoys out there to sight to.

Last updated: 2007-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:11:45 | 4224 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 5/14
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Ultrajohn
Course: Point to point, from the beach/marina at the Hyatt out into the middle of the Choptank River, left turn towards the bridge, long straight section under the bridge and beyond to a point of land at Great Marsh Park, ending at a boat ramp (that was difficult to spot).
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-01 9:25 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: ChesapeakeMan SwimFest

2007-10-01 11:09 AM
in reply to: #985192

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: ChesapeakeMan SwimFest
Nice race. That Choptank can be a real pain in the nuts... It sure lives up to it's name.
2007-10-01 3:48 PM
in reply to: #985192

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: ChesapeakeMan SwimFest
As I said in the IM forum, I drove over the bridge about an hour after you guys came out of the water, and I pitied the fool...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ChesapeakeMan SwimFest Rss Feed