Wilmington YMCA
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 23s
Overall Rank = 125/592
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/57
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, ate a pb sandwich and drank a gatorade. Headed out to the race and got there at about 5am
Event warmup:

I had planned to ride a little before the race, but it was a little chilly and i just did not feel like it. I ran over to the start and got in the water about 10 minutes before my wave and warmed up some.
Swim
  • 20m 36s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt good on the swim, for some reason I could not find anyone to draft off of, I was swimming by myself for most of the swim which made me think that I was off course, but my time was good so I guess I wasn't. When I got out of the water my wife told me that I was only 50 seconds behind someone I wanted to beat, I was expecting 2-3 minute so I was happy!
What would you do differently?:

Not much, find someone to draft off of.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Had a great transition, I passed a bunch of people from the swim finish to the trasition area, which was in a different place this year, a little farther than usuall. My rack was almost all the way at the end, away from the bike start/finish so it was a long haul to the pavement.

I was pretty happy, I've worked on my transitions and felt like I did a good job.
Bike
  • 34m 30s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Biking has been my week link, I was feeling pretty decent on the bike, I got passed 4 or 5 times, and passed a few people. The best part of the bike, and my race was when up in the distance I saw the guy I was trying to beat, we are friends and train together, but a race is a race:) I finally caught up to him as we came back down Eastwood, with maybe a mile or so to go. I debated whether to stay behind him and not let him know that I had caught him and try to take him on the run, or go by him on the bike and see if I could hold him off on the run. I decided to take the instant gratification of going by him on the bike. I rode up along side him as quiet as I could and said good morning. The look of shock and horror on his face was priceless, I know he thought he had enough time banked on the swim. I heard him say "O my God" as I took off. I laughed all the way back to the transition area.

I need to ride more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Great T2, I was motivated.
Run
  • 23m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

We were racked on the same rack, so we came in to T2 together and left together on the run. Unfortunately my catching him on the bike pissed him off, we ran together for maybe 1/4 mile before he pulled away. I thought if I could keep him in sight I could at least make it interesting. Didn't happen! I kinda lost my motivation after that.

Need to work on the mental game. I have a nasty habit of slowing down when someone passes me and I don't think I can keep up.
Post race
Warm down:

We had parents weekend at my daughters school, so the warm down consisted of grabbing my bike and gear, running back to the truck and hitting the road for the 3 hour drive.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of consistant biking, my "long" rides are 20 miles, max.

Event comments:

Love this race, next year I will make it more of a priority, I'd love to crack the top ten in my age group.
Got to meet DMark and Supermommy before the race, that was great. It's always nice to put a face with a name.

Last updated: 2007-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:36 | 1640 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/57
Overall: 111/592
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: It's a point to point swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:30 | 12.43 miles | 21.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/57
Overall: 172/592
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course, Arlie Road sucks! It's too bad they did not fix the huge raised gap in the road. When I rode by there was already 1 tube and more water bottles and sponges than I've ever seen. I hopped the gap, first time I've ever dont that. Home field does have it's advantages:)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:21 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/57
Overall: 213/592
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat, loop course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-01 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Subject: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon

2007-10-01 11:12 AM
in reply to: #985249

User image

Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
Hey Nick. I actually made it to the race this year. I was hoping to find you to say hello but got there a bit late and had to rush through transition to be sure to get to the swim start on time.

Good race. It's always fun to pass a buddy.

2007-10-01 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Great race Nick! And thanks for finding me, its nice to have support from the super fast people.

I'll see you next year, if not an earlier race in the area.

2007-10-01 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

I love how you were dukeing it out with your buddy.

I heard that the swim out there was fast, but you did a 1:16!  That's not just the current talking.  You hammered it I think.  21+ on the bike and 7:30's on the run.  You've put together a mighty fast race Nick.  congrats.

2007-10-02 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Congratulations on a great race!!!  Your times were just awesome!  I can't even swim that fast in my dreams
2007-10-03 5:51 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
I would be happy with that bike speed!!! That's funny about your friends face!! You will get him next time!! Great Race!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed