Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-10-01 2:18 PM
in reply to: #985780

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Supreme Court and voter fraud
mdg2003 - 2007-10-01 1:28 PM

Everyone here has access to a computer...

not a very convincing argument for your point but its truthfulness cannot be denied!

2007-10-01 2:29 PM
in reply to: #985346

User image

Master
Denver
For any kind of voter fraud scheme to work you are going to need either:

1) a small number of fraudulent votes and a close election in which case every vote is going to be scrutinized and the faudulent ones will most likely be identified, or

2) a not so close election and a huge number of fraudlent votes in which case you would need a huge number of fraudulent voters to successfully vote without being detected.

The real question is whether it it worse to potentially disenfranchise even a small amount of people in order to pre-empt supposed voter fraud or whether it is worse to allow a small number of fraudulent votes to ensure every citizen has an equal right to participate in the election process.
2007-10-01 2:29 PM
in reply to: #985468

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line

mdg2003 - 2007-10-01 11:27 AM  Can we simplify the process then? If you wish to vote in the United States you need to become a registered voter. The registration process will provide you with a free photo ID/Registration card. During this process you will be required to sign a form. This form states nothing more than " You will need to bring this card with you to vote. If you do not have your card, you will not be able to vote." Simple black and white with no gray areas. A simple sign at the polling place stating the same should suffice. You lose your card, go get a new one if you really want to vote. If you forgot your card and you get all the way to the front of the line..... too bad, go home and get it. I doubt you will make the same mistake twice.  If you want your vote to count stand up and take the responsiblity. Our country places too much emphasis on enabling our citizens to do things half-a**ed. [/QUOTE

having not read all the responses - how many different languages will need to have your statement " You will need to bring this card with you to vote. If you do not have your card, you will not be able to vote."  translated into - since America doesn't have an official language....  I think first off we need an official language so everyone can understand each other before we need to mess with the voter registration process.

2007-10-01 3:00 PM
in reply to: #985906

User image

Pro
Tejas
hangloose - 2007-10-01 2:18 PM
mdg2003 - 2007-10-01 1:28 PM

Everyone here has access to a computer...

not a very convincing argument for your point but its truthfulness cannot be denied!

Yeah, I waffled that one. Was getting at we own computers then surely we must use a bank. I didn't want to get busted for generalizing.
2007-10-01 3:15 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Correct me if I'm wrong here. Isn't the Supreme Court being asked in this instance to overturn existing laws that require voters to provide photo ID to vote. Certainly the Republicans aren't driving this.

I see nothing wrong with wanting my vote actually count. How can I feel  confident in a voting system that can negate my vote by someone using dead Uncle Joe's voter reg. card? I think I have earned the right to be assured something like that won't happen.

The Senator from New York is proposing free health care for all of us. She has also put in there that it will be mandatory for all Americans to register for and have health care. How in the heck are we going to do that? Who is going to drive our "too poor to leave the house for their own good" to the place where that is going to happen? Where is the public outrage that she make such a  demand on our downtrodden and elderly citizens? 

Edited by mdg2003 2007-10-01 3:30 PM
2007-10-01 3:43 PM
in reply to: #985854

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

There isn't one cited case of an illegally cast vote among these examples. Most of these examples are about voter registration, not actual voting irregularities. One article is about absentee ballots. Don't see how a voter ID is relevant there.

One interesting document included in the list though, is the second link from the Brennan Center. The linked document is entitled "Analysis of the September 15, 2005 Voter Fraud Report Submitted to the New Jersey Attorney General". The report is called "...a flawed partisan document stirring up the specter of voter fraud by listing thousands of allegedly illegitimate voters." The lists of "illegal" voters given to the NJ AG are called "substantially flawed, and must not be used to interfere with New Jersey citizens’ right to vote."

It's a good document and is great example of how many accusations of "voter fraud" don't stand up to close examination.

2007-10-01 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Denver
The right to vote is the most important right we have. Without it every other right flies out the window, so any measure that will potentially make it harder for people to vote should be considered very carefully. Especially when the people who would be affected by this are largely the people for whom this may be their only way to influence how the country is governed. The people who would find it a hardship to get a photo id aren't going to be able to afford a campaign contribution or a day off to protest at the capitol, but by casting a vote their voice is heard loud and clear. We should be making it easier for everyone to vote, not harder.

If the whole intention is to prevent fraudulent voting then why not just give everyone an inky finger, a la Iraq?
2007-10-01 4:14 PM
in reply to: #986057

User image

Master
mdg2003 - 2007-10-01 4:15 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here. Isn't the Supreme Court being asked in this instance to overturn existing laws that require voters to provide photo ID to vote. Certainly the Republicans aren't driving this.

republicans in indiana passed the law. it is being challenged in court by the indiana democratic party, the ACLU, and the NAACP. in general, "voter fraud" is a red meat issue for the republican base, and voter ID laws are being pushed by republican politicians.

The Senator from New York is proposing free health care for all of us. She has also put in there that it will be mandatory for all Americans to register for and have health care. How in the heck are we going to do that? Who is going to drive our "too poor to leave the house for their own good" to the place where that is going to happen? Where is the public outrage that she make such a demand on our downtrodden and elderly citizens?

perhaps the lack of public outrage at plans to insure all the elderly by comparison to the opposition to voter ID legislation is a consequence of the following equations:

making it harder for old people to vote = bad
making the elderly more likely to be insured = good

also, i'm not too familiar with clinton's plan, but i haven't heard anything about people being required to drive somewhere to maintain their current coverage. i would assume any type of registration could be done by your current insurance carrier or through the mail.

plus, the elderly (65+) make up only 1% of the uninsured population as opposed to 15% of the total population. whereas, the elderly are the most likely to be registered to vote, and they are the most likely to actually vote, thus the most likely to be affected by this type of legislation.

so the lack of public outrage over efforts to insure the elderly population is, i would argue, quite understandable.

your vote is under much greater threat from private companies controlling the electronic voting hardware and software with no paper trail for the vote, i.e. diebold, than it is from in-person voter fraud which this type of legislation is targeting. and as others have pointed out, this is far less common than the GOP would have you think.

to see just how easy electronic voting can be hacked, watch the demonstration at the bottom of this webpage.
2007-10-01 4:17 PM
in reply to: #986134

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Those links were a mere sampling from about 30 seconds of searching.....
I'm sure I could come up with many more if I was willing to spend some time looking.

See below for excerpts from each link:

marmadaddy - 2007-10-01 1:43 PM

There isn't one cited case of an illegally cast vote among these examples.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/news/s_189761.htm... />

"authorities prosecuted three people, including former U.S. Rep. Austin J. Murphy, for a scheme in which absentee ballots were forged with the names of residents at a Wharton Township nursing home.

Authorities were able to use handwriting experts to determine the ballots in question were not signed by the nursing home residents."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundpolitics.com/archives/003475.html

"T... New York Daily News found last August that 46,000 people were registered to vote in both Florida and New York"

Note: You're correct that this reference is more specific to registration irregularities. It all seems very closely related to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_6961239

" official elected to Berkeley's Rent Stabilization Board was arrested this morning in Oakland on charges that he does not live in the city he represents, according to Alameda County District Attorney Thomas Orloff.

Chris Kavanagh faces three counts of voter fraud, and one count each of grand theft and perjury. Orloff said Kavanagh, who was elected to four-year terms in 2002 and 2006..."

NOTE: You're right on this one....the official was arrested only 10 days ago...i guess that was a little too current.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rottenacorn.com/activityMap.html

NOTE: The below excerpt needs no explanation...

Recent Fraud

State Year Details
AR 1998 A contractor with ACORN-affiliated Project Vote was arrested for falsifying about 400 voter registration cards.
CO 2004 An ACORN employee admitted to forging signatures and registering three of her friends to vote 40 times.
CO 2005 Two ex-ACORN employees were convicted in Denver of perjury for submitting false voter registrations.
FL 2004 A Florida Department of Law Enforcement spokesman said ACORN was “singled out” among suspected voter registration groups for a 2004 wage initiative because it was “the common thread” in the agency’s fraud investigations.
MI 2004 The Detroit Free Press reported that “overzealous or unscrupulous campaign workers in several Michigan counties are under investigation for voter-registration fraud, suspected of attempting to register nonexistent people or forging applications for already-registered voters.” ACORN-affiliate Project Vote was one of two groups suspected of turning in the documents.
MO 2003 Of 5,379 voter registration cards ACORN submitted in St. Louis, only 2,013 of those appeared to be valid. At least 1,000 are believed to be attempts to register voters illegally.
NC 2004 North Carolina officials investigated ACORN for submitting fake voter registration cards.
NM 2005 Four ACORN employees submitted as many as 3,000 potentially fraudulent signatures on the group’s Albuquerque ballot initiative. A local sheriff added: “It’s safe to say the forgery was widespread.”
NM 2004 An ACORN employee registered a 13-year-old boy to vote. Citing this and other examples, New Mexico State Representative Joe Thompson stated that ACORN was “manufacturing voters” throughout New Mexico.
OH 2004 A grand jury indicted a Columbus ACORN worker for submitting a false signature and false voter registration form. In Franklin County, two ACORN workers submitted what the director of the board of election supervisors called “blatantly false” forms. In Cuyahoga County, ACORN and its affiliate Project Vote submitted registration cards that had the highest rate of errors for any voter registration group.
MN 2004 During a traffic stop, police found more than 300 voter registration cards in the trunk of a former ACORN employee, who had violated a legal requirements that registration cards be submitted to the Secretary of State within 10 days of being filled out and signed.
PA 2004 Reading’s Director of Elections received calls from numerous individuals complaining that ACORN employees deliberately put inaccurate information on their voter registration forms. The Berks County director of elections said voter fraud was “absolutely out of hand,” and added: “Not only do we have unintentional duplication of voter registration but we have blatant duplicate voter registrations.” The Berks County deputy director of elections added that ACORN was under investigation by the Department of Justice.
TX 2004 ACORN turned in the voter registration form of David Young, who told reporters “The signature is not my signature. It’s not even close.” His social security number and date of birth were also incorrect.
VA 2005 In 2005, the Virginia State Board of Elections admonished Project Vote and ACORN for turning in a significant number of faulty voter registrations. An audit revealed that 83% of sampled registrations that were rejected for carrying false or questionable information were submitted by Project Vote. Many of these registrations carried social security numbers that exist for other people, listed non-existent or commercial addresses, or were for convicted felons in violation of state and federal election law.

In a letter to ACORN, the State Board of Elections reported that 56% of the voter registration applications ACORN turned in were ineligible. Further, a full 35% were not submitted in a timely manner, as required by law. The State Board of Elections also commented on what appeared to be evidence of intentional voter fraud. "Additionally,” they wrote, “information appears to have been altered on some applications where information given by the applicant in one color ink has been scratched through and re-entered in another color ink. Any alteration of a voter registration application is a Class 5 Felony in accordance with § 24.2-1009 of the Code of Virginia."
WI 2004 The district attorney’s office investigated seven voter registration applications Project Vote employees filed in the names of people who said the group never contacted them. Former Project Vote employee Robert Marquise Blakely told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he had not met with any of the people whose voter registration applications he signed, “an apparent violation of state law,” according to the paper.

2007-10-01 4:25 PM
in reply to: #986200

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

drewb8 - 2007-10-01 2:09 PM The right to vote is the most important right we have. 

I completely agree with you, which is why I am bothered by the possibility of a vote being undermined/negated by improper voting practices and bogus votes being cast.

I agree that there need to be mechanisms in place to ensure that all legitimate voters receive the assistance necessary to ensure that they have the proper ID, and are correctly registered to vote.

It should not be that difficult to get people an photo ID without becoming a hardship...

2007-10-01 4:50 PM
in reply to: #986209

User image

Pro
Tejas

jimbo - 2007-10-01 4:14 PM
perhaps the lack of public outrage at plans to insure all the elderly by comparison to the opposition to voter ID legislation is a consequence of the following equations: making it harder for old people to vote = bad making the elderly more likely to be insured = good also, i'm not too familiar with clinton's plan, but i haven't heard anything about people being required to drive somewhere to maintain their current coverage. i would assume any type of registration could be done by your current insurance carrier or through the mail. plus, the elderly (65+) make up only 1% of the uninsured population as opposed to 15% of the total population. whereas, the elderly are the most likely to be registered to vote, and they are the most likely to actually vote, thus the most likely to be affected by this type of legislation. so the lack of public outrage over efforts to insure the elderly population is, i would argue, quite understandable. your vote is under much greater threat from private companies controlling the electronic voting hardware and software with no paper trail for the vote, i.e. diebold, than it is from in-person voter fraud which this type of legislation is targeting. and as others have pointed out, this is far less common than the GOP would have you think. to see just how easy electronic voting can be hacked, watch the demonstration at the bottom of this webpage.

I think you missed where I was going. I don't hear a peep from the same groups driving the SC case when Ms. Clinton proposed mandatory enrollment in a national health care system. Why not? Oh, it's free and they aren't going to have to pay for it . How the heck can we expect citizens who can't seem to be able to make time to obtain an ID find the time or means in their busy lives to enroll in health care? Surely getting logged into the national health care system will prove to be next to impossible. The lines to sign up on day one will be visible from outer space. Wait better yet, lets just mail everyone a card, sign the bottom half, tear off the bottom copy and mail in using the postage paid card. This will ensure the entire world has access to not only our voting system,  but to free health care as well. 

People are going to abuse any system put in place. Making it easier for them to do so is irresponsible.

Edited by mdg2003 2007-10-01 4:56 PM

2007-10-01 5:20 PM
in reply to: #986232

User image

Master
Denver
dhyte - 2007-10-01 3:25 PM

drewb8 - 2007-10-01 2:09 PM The right to vote is the most important right we have. 

I completely agree with you, which is why I am bothered by the possibility of a vote being undermined/negated by improper voting practices and bogus votes being cast.

I agree that there need to be mechanisms in place to ensure that all legitimate voters receive the assistance necessary to ensure that they have the proper ID, and are correctly registered to vote.

It should not be that difficult to get people an photo ID without becoming a hardship...

What about all the votes being negated by putting up this added barrier? I'm sure it would come out to many more than any potential fraudulent votes.

When I was in Australia I met an aboriginal woman who refused to allow her picture to be taken on religious grounds. What happens here to a person like that under this scheme?

I'm all for making sure only people who are supposed to vote actually vote but the threat of a few hundred (at most) fraudulent votes is not nearly as dangerous as putting up unnecessary barriers to participating in our democracy. And add in the cost of millions of dollars and red tape for such a program that I'm sure could be used for more urgent things.
2007-10-01 5:33 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

This issue was taken up by the Georgia General Assembly a few years ago and has been in the court system ever since.  I recall being present in the House when the opposition spoke against voter id on the grounds of the voter fraud myth. 

I was shocked at the statistics he compiled from the Secretary of State's and the Attorney General's office.  If I recall correctly, less than 5% of voter fraud claims (in GA) actual have enough merit to open an investigative inquiry.  Less that 1% of THOSE lead to an inquiry.  And less than .1% of those ever lead to a discrepency or issue (most often problem--people voting in the wrong precinct/county).  Legal action rarely happens.

To those who argue the it would create a more credible system, I ask where are the safe guards on provisional, out-of state or oversea ballots?  How about concern over electronic voting and moving away from paper receipts?  To me those are much larger concerns and loopholes. 

2007-10-01 5:34 PM
in reply to: #985453

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-10-01 5:35 PM
in reply to: #986373

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-10-01 5:39 PM
in reply to: #986347

Pro
Tejas

I think people are getting stuck on the what difference does a few fraudulent votes make? First thing comes to mind is the presidential race, Gore/Bush election. A little voter fraud in Florida, and I mean very little, swings history in a whole different direction. More likely is the local election results where as few as 50 votes can oust a councilman or state representative. These elections are probably more critical to the things that affect us directly. It would not take to many illegal ballots to sway one of these political races.   

Edited by mdg2003 2007-10-01 5:40 PM

2007-10-01 6:14 PM
in reply to: #986293

Master
mdg2003 - 2007-10-01 5:50 PM

jimbo - 2007-10-01 4:14 PM

perhaps the lack of public outrage at plans to insure all the elderly by comparison to the opposition to voter ID legislation is a consequence of the following equations: making it harder for old people to vote = bad making the elderly more likely to be insured = good also, i'm not too familiar with clinton's plan, but i haven't heard anything about people being required to drive somewhere to maintain their current coverage. i would assume any type of registration could be done by your current insurance carrier or through the mail. plus, the elderly (65+) make up only 1% of the uninsured population as opposed to 15% of the total population. whereas, the elderly are the most likely to be registered to vote, and they are the most likely to actually vote, thus the most likely to be affected by this type of legislation. so the lack of public outrage over efforts to insure the elderly population is, i would argue, quite understandable. your vote is under much greater threat from private companies controlling the electronic voting hardware and software with no paper trail for the vote, i.e. diebold, than it is from in-person voter fraud which this type of legislation is targeting. and as others have pointed out, this is far less common than the GOP would have you think. to see just how easy electronic voting can be hacked, watch the demonstration at the bottom of this webpage.

I think you missed where I was going. I don't hear a peep from the same groups driving the SC case when Ms. Clinton proposed mandatory enrollment in a national health care system. Why not? Oh, it's free and they aren't going to have to pay for it . How the heck can we expect citizens who can't seem to be able to make time to obtain an ID find the time or means in their busy lives to enroll in health care? Surely getting logged into the national health care system will prove to be next to impossible. The lines to sign up on day one will be visible from outer space. Wait better yet, lets just mail everyone a card, sign the bottom half, tear off the bottom copy and mail in using the postage paid card. This will ensure the entire world has access to not only our voting system, but to free health care as well.

People are going to abuse any system put in place. Making it easier for them to do so is irresponsible.

why would the ACLU, NAACP, and the indiana democratic party be opposed to "Ms.Clinton's" (or is it "the Senator from New York"?) efforts to insure the elderly who lack insurance coverage? it's an absurd comparison you're trying to make. by your logic, those parties should be opposed to making old people stand in line during the early bird special at Denny's.
as for the lines "visible from outer space," well, that's a sad statement on the state of health care in this country. that's what happens when you have 47 million people without health insurance. but i don't understand why you're convinced that getting registered will be "next to impossible." dozens of countries around the world figured it out. or do you not think americans are smart enough to do what millions of others have already done?

have you not been reading other people's posts as for the arguments against these voter ID laws? it seems that you still think opposition to the law is merely because it might inconvenience a few people. as others have pointed out repeatedly, opposition to the indiana voter ID law is not about the time it will take to go to get an ID, and it's not about finding time in "busy lives." it's about a law that will disproportionately disenfranchise certain segments of the population, and a law which is an unnecessary fix to a relatively minor problem. a dissenting judge in one of the lower court appeals likened the law to smashing a glass tabletop with a sledgehammer while trying to kill a fly which may or may not exist. it's a totally disproportionate response.

i've yet to see a convincing argument here that in-person voter fraud (and that's what the law targets---not the registration activities of ACORN or anyone else) is a widespread problem, by which i mean documented cases, not "suspected" or "investigated" or "suggested." why start a thread purporting to seek both sides of an issue if you're just going to ignore them or dismiss them without consideration?

2007-10-01 6:16 PM
in reply to: #986216

Champion
Fairport, NY

Again, the cut-n-paste is related to voter registration drives, not voter fraud ie. illegally cast votes. You gotta read this stuff before posting it. Your original list includes a very good document by a respected law group that counters the argument you're trying to make.

dhyte - 2007-10-01 5:17 PM

Those links were a mere sampling from about 30 seconds of searching.....
I'm sure I could come up with many more if I was willing to spend some time looking.

See below for excerpts from each link:

marmadaddy - 2007-10-01 1:43 PM

There isn't one cited case of an illegally cast vote among these examples.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/news/s_189761.htm... />

"authorities prosecuted three people, including former U.S. Rep. Austin J. Murphy, for a scheme in which absentee ballots were forged with the names of residents at a Wharton Township nursing home.

Authorities were able to use handwriting experts to determine the ballots in question were not signed by the nursing home residents."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundpolitics.com/archives/003475.html

"T... New York Daily News found last August that 46,000 people were registered to vote in both Florida and New York"

Note: You're correct that this reference is more specific to registration irregularities. It all seems very closely related to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_6961239

" official elected to Berkeley's Rent Stabilization Board was arrested this morning in Oakland on charges that he does not live in the city he represents, according to Alameda County District Attorney Thomas Orloff.

Chris Kavanagh faces three counts of voter fraud, and one count each of grand theft and perjury. Orloff said Kavanagh, who was elected to four-year terms in 2002 and 2006..."

NOTE: You're right on this one....the official was arrested only 10 days ago...i guess that was a little too current.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rottenacorn.com/activityMap.html

NOTE: The below excerpt needs no explanation...

Recent Fraud

State Year Details
AR 1998 A contractor with ACORN-affiliated Project Vote was arrested for falsifying about 400 voter registration cards.
CO 2004 An ACORN employee admitted to forging signatures and registering three of her friends to vote 40 times.
CO 2005 Two ex-ACORN employees were convicted in Denver of perjury for submitting false voter registrations.
FL 2004 A Florida Department of Law Enforcement spokesman said ACORN was “singled out” among suspected voter registration groups for a 2004 wage initiative because it was “the common thread” in the agency’s fraud investigations.
MI 2004 The Detroit Free Press reported that “overzealous or unscrupulous campaign workers in several Michigan counties are under investigation for voter-registration fraud, suspected of attempting to register nonexistent people or forging applications for already-registered voters.” ACORN-affiliate Project Vote was one of two groups suspected of turning in the documents.
MO 2003 Of 5,379 voter registration cards ACORN submitted in St. Louis, only 2,013 of those appeared to be valid. At least 1,000 are believed to be attempts to register voters illegally.
NC 2004 North Carolina officials investigated ACORN for submitting fake voter registration cards.
NM 2005 Four ACORN employees submitted as many as 3,000 potentially fraudulent signatures on the group’s Albuquerque ballot initiative. A local sheriff added: “It’s safe to say the forgery was widespread.”
NM 2004 An ACORN employee registered a 13-year-old boy to vote. Citing this and other examples, New Mexico State Representative Joe Thompson stated that ACORN was “manufacturing voters” throughout New Mexico.
OH 2004 A grand jury indicted a Columbus ACORN worker for submitting a false signature and false voter registration form. In Franklin County, two ACORN workers submitted what the director of the board of election supervisors called “blatantly false” forms. In Cuyahoga County, ACORN and its affiliate Project Vote submitted registration cards that had the highest rate of errors for any voter registration group.
MN 2004 During a traffic stop, police found more than 300 voter registration cards in the trunk of a former ACORN employee, who had violated a legal requirements that registration cards be submitted to the Secretary of State within 10 days of being filled out and signed.
PA 2004 Reading’s Director of Elections received calls from numerous individuals complaining that ACORN employees deliberately put inaccurate information on their voter registration forms. The Berks County director of elections said voter fraud was “absolutely out of hand,” and added: “Not only do we have unintentional duplication of voter registration but we have blatant duplicate voter registrations.” The Berks County deputy director of elections added that ACORN was under investigation by the Department of Justice.
TX 2004 ACORN turned in the voter registration form of David Young, who told reporters “The signature is not my signature. It’s not even close.” His social security number and date of birth were also incorrect.
VA 2005 In 2005, the Virginia State Board of Elections admonished Project Vote and ACORN for turning in a significant number of faulty voter registrations. An audit revealed that 83% of sampled registrations that were rejected for carrying false or questionable information were submitted by Project Vote. Many of these registrations carried social security numbers that exist for other people, listed non-existent or commercial addresses, or were for convicted felons in violation of state and federal election law.

In a letter to ACORN, the State Board of Elections reported that 56% of the voter registration applications ACORN turned in were ineligible. Further, a full 35% were not submitted in a timely manner, as required by law. The State Board of Elections also commented on what appeared to be evidence of intentional voter fraud. "Additionally,” they wrote, “information appears to have been altered on some applications where information given by the applicant in one color ink has been scratched through and re-entered in another color ink. Any alteration of a voter registration application is a Class 5 Felony in accordance with § 24.2-1009 of the Code of Virginia."
WI 2004 The district attorney’s office investigated seven voter registration applications Project Vote employees filed in the names of people who said the group never contacted them. Former Project Vote employee Robert Marquise Blakely told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he had not met with any of the people whose voter registration applications he signed, “an apparent violation of state law,” according to the paper.

2007-10-01 6:49 PM

Pro
Tejas

I think you missed it again Jimbo. Are you of the opinion that there is no such thing as voter fraud in our country? Are you saying don't have a problem with voter fraud as long as it does not disenfranchise any voters out there and the votes go to the Democrats?

I was not trying to voice an opinion either way on health care in our country. I was just wondering if a double standard exists. Same party that opposes identifying who we have voting seems to have no problem forcing the entire country to enroll in a healthcare plan. Just how in the heck are we going to make ALL of our citizens get enrolled in healthcare when we can't get the very citizens it will most likely benefit the most to leave their houses and get something as simple as a photo ID. Where is the public outrage over recent passport changes. US citizens are now required by law to get a passport to visit Mexico and Canada. My word, I can't seem to find the time to get a passport so I can go on vacation!!! I better call the ACLU and get them on the case. They don't care because it does nothing to further their political cause.

Leaving the door open so people can abuse our system is irresponsible.

2007-10-01 9:24 PM

Master
White Oak, Texas

First for those of you that think voter fraud is not a problem you are wrong.  I am an election Judge and every election I have the problem of someone or several someone’s coming in to vote that tell me their address is wrong on the card.  If the address is wrong than they may be in the wrong precinct and in an election where the difference is just a few votes this can change a local election.  The next issue is voter cards are sent to people based on the address they used to register with and as long as they are deliverable they are put on the voter role, now just suppose a parent dies and the new voter card arrives after that person has died and the children get the card you tell me what stops them from using it hint nothing.  One of my first elections I worked I had a lady come in to vote it had been years since she had voted and had to be thing I have no concerns about the difficulty of voting and I think it should be less convenient not more (with the acceptation of handicapped access) if you are to lazy to stand in line for 30 minutes to an hour (I never had a line like that) than you probably don’t have a clue who to vote for anyway.  I can’t begin to tell you how many voters I have that vote based on how the name sounds, position on the ballot, Republican or democrat cause the other side are just a bunch of crooks no sir I say if we made more of these people unconvinced than perhaps we would be better off without their vote. walked thru the process no problem so far, the problem was as she watched the other worker stamp voted next to her name on the voter role she saw her mother in-laws name was marked voted as well and was taken aback it seems her mother in law had been dead for many years.  Someone had been voting for her all this time in early voting.  I have heard stories that I cannot confirm of nurses taking  the early voting ballots at the nursing homes and filling them out and sending them in so let’s see I vote one time and the nurse votes 20 times.  The real legal problem with voter IDS is the charging for the ID if the state charges for the voter ID than that will amount to a poll tax and is un-constitutional so IMHO voter picture ID’s are very needed but the voter cannot be directly charged for it.  I could say a lot more on this issue but I am tired

Edited by CBarnes 2007-10-01 9:26 PM
2007-10-02 9:25 AM

Pro
Tejas
OMG so voter fraud actually does exist!!!! Is the word of a judge enough to prove fraud exists or is he immediately disqualified since he hails from a red state? I'm so disenfranchised with the system I'm not going to go vote now.

2007-10-02 11:49 AM
in reply to: #986722

Champion
Nashville, TN
CBarnes - 2007-10-01 10:24 PM

First for those of you that think voter fraud is not a problem you are wrong.  I am an election Judge and every election I have the problem of someone or several someone’s coming in to vote that tell me their address is wrong on the card.  If the address is wrong than they may be in the wrong precinct and in an election where the difference is just a few votes this can change a local election.  The next issue is voter cards are sent to people based on the address they used to register with and as long as they are deliverable they are put on the voter role, now just suppose a parent dies and the new voter card arrives after that person has died and the children get the card you tell me what stops them from using it hint nothing.  One of my first elections I worked I had a lady come in to vote it had been years since she had voted and had to be thing I have no concerns about the difficulty of voting and I think it should be less convenient not more (with the acceptation of handicapped access) if you are to lazy to stand in line for 30 minutes to an hour (I never had a line like that) than you probably don’t have a clue who to vote for anyway.  I can’t begin to tell you how many voters I have that vote based on how the name sounds, position on the ballot, Republican or democrat cause the other side are just a bunch of crooks no sir I say if we made more of these people unconvinced than perhaps we would be better off without their vote. walked thru the process no problem so far, the problem was as she watched the other worker stamp voted next to her name on the voter role she saw her mother in-laws name was marked voted as well and was taken aback it seems her mother in law had been dead for many years.  Someone had been voting for her all this time in early voting.  I have heard stories that I cannot confirm of nurses taking  the early voting ballots at the nursing homes and filling them out and sending them in so let’s see I vote one time and the nurse votes 20 times.  The real legal problem with voter IDS is the charging for the ID if the state charges for the voter ID than that will amount to a poll tax and is un-constitutional so IMHO voter picture ID’s are very needed but the voter cannot be directly charged for it.  I could say a lot more on this issue but I am tired

1.  Your argument does nothing to prove voter fraud or the need for voter id.  The crux of the argument against voter id legislation is that 99.9% of reports are hearsay and never stand up in court.  In most cases, 'voter fraud' is someone voting in the wrong precinct.  I am curious, since you are an election judge, how many of the voter fraud activities that you have witnessed have been proven or lead to charges?  And does that number substantiate a need to overhaul the system by instituting a voter id policy?  I think you might offer an interesting perspective to the discussion

2.  Georgia allows FREE voter identification and it is still tied up in the court system.

2007-10-04 11:10 AM

Expert
Earth

Voter Fraud - is depant on the intent of the voter.  So when in Seattle they have 8 dead people voting ...

At least eight people who died well before the November general election were credited with voting in King County, raising new questions about the integrity of the vote total in the narrow governor's race, a Seattle Post-Intelligencer review has found.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/206969_dead07.html

.. but we don't call it fraud because we "don't know their intent."  Now admittedly it seams these cases were all from absentee ballots.  So a voter ID card would have done no good.  But it does show possible methods of HOW to "get away with" voter fruad.

Because the term "Voter fraud" is so specific, cases where there was no concerted effort to

"These are not indications of fraud," said Bill Huennekens, King County's elections supervisor. "Fraud is a concerted effort to change an election."

So instead of being called fraud, which is really what it is, it is being called voting "irregularities" or something equally lame and harmless sounding. 

So what is the harm?  If the vote is turned on 8 votes, and certified then the wrong person is elected.  Where was it I read, that 1 person voting in each of the different precincts allowed Lincoln to win over Douglas. 

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2005/09/dead-people-voting-in-new-jersey.html

Republicans reviewed voter rolls for each of the state's 21 counties and for five other states, and they say they found thousands of people registered in more than one place and thousands more who are supposedly dead but still registered. Among their findings, the GOP said 4,397 people who are registered in two New Jersey counties appeared to vote twice in the 2004 general election; 6,572 people registered in both New Jersey and another state appear to have voted in both states last November; and 4,755 officially listed as "deceased" voted in the last election, along with 13,440 people supposedly dead who were still registered as of May 1.

Duplicates were found based on matching first and last names and dates of birth, Wilson said. The review included some 5 million names on voter rolls.

Democrats questioned the Republicans' findings.

Now I think the above article is an opinion piece, and I would LOVE to find a follow up from someone to see what they found. 

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061029/NEWS01/610290381/1006/NEWS01

Another article talking about dead people voting, with an interesting excerpt. 

One address in the Bronx was listed as the home for as many as 191 registered voters who had died. The address is 5901 Palisade Ave., site of the Hebrew Home for the Aged.

• Democrats who cast votes after they died outnumbered Republicans by more than a 4-to-1 margin. The reason: Most of them came from Democrat-dominated New York City, where higher population produced more matches.
  • So maybe that is one reason why Republicans are a little more worried about it than democrats.

I like this quote, and I think it is worth closing this post on it. 

"The only reason it's a potential problem is that elections are very contentious," said David Gamache, Dutchess County's Republican elections commissioner. "And there is a reason why the election law takes up almost 500 pages. If there is a way to cheat people, people are going to look at it and see if it is viable and whether or not they should do it."
      Under line added!

New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Supreme Court and voter fraud Rss Feed  

of 2