General Discussion Race Reports! » Bonelli Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bonelli Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Dimas, California
United States
TriEvents
1500F / 816C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 14m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00 a.m., ate some breakfast - cereal and a banana. Made a PB&J for later in the morning. I had all my things together already, walked the dog and out the door.
Event warmup:

Got in the water for a bit - it was nice except for the mud/slime and rocky bottom getting out. That's about it. I was nervous.
Swim
  • 46m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was the best part of the day for me. I finished the distance in the time it takes me to do that in the pool (at a relaxed pace). I was pleasantly surprised. I would have finished faster if I could SWIM A STRAIGHT LINE!! At one point, I picked up my head and there was the lifeguard boat with those two cuties in it saying, "uh ma'am, you are a little off course". F@*K! was my response so back the other way. My wetsuit was awesome - can't wait to swim in the ocean with it.
What would you do differently?:

I would swim a straight line and not zigzag all morning long all over the damn lake!
Transition 1
  • 06m
Comments:

Okay transition - went well I thought.
Bike
  • 2h 28m 31s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 10.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Ever have one of those days? Oh man, this bike ride totally kicked my ass. First loop, walked every hill. Second loop - crashed TWICE! Only walked half the hills. Third loop, I only walked that last hill by the entrance to the park - the rest I managed to stay on the bike for. I really really need to work on climbing hills. It was so BLOODY HOT by this time I finshed. I was so nauseated and thirsty I almost did not go on the run. I cried when I got back to the transition area and my things were thrown to the side and the workers were tearing it down. There was no timing mat to run through anymore, the clock was down. I almost quit. It was so HOT, did I mention that already?

Go faster, not crash, how about that? argh!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Racking the bike? The rack wasn't there! Racked it by my friend's bike one rack over and hoped that no one would take my stuff (or hers) and knew she'd be back long before I would. I just cried. I was so pissed. It was so effen HOT. I was so thirsty. 6.2 miles to go. I forgot to grab my hat. I still had on my riding gloves.

Who knows? Get back before they tear down the damn transition area? how about that? Not forget my hat.
Run
  • 1h 58m 56s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 19m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

HOT and at this point of the day the course seemed so long it was just mean. Did I mention how hot it was? Well, it was. My legs felt okay and I did run about half of the course in spurts but I was battling waves of nausea since I got off the bike as well as being dangerously close to being completely dehydrated I spent most of the run pouring water down my neck. Thank you Gary for coming by so many times to check on me and give me bottles of water! Thank you Ellen for the sunscreen and for all the cheers when I finally crossed the finish line - Thank you Yanti for being there at the end. I was SO happy to see you.

Run.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank more water. Showed Yanti my ouchies from my two crashes on the bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I love this question - I am sitting here laughing. See above.

Event comments:

The folks at Bonelli Park put on a good race. The finish line was still there when I came through - Thank you!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:33 | 1640 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: It was a triangle, straight out, left turn and back. Short run to the transition area from the water. That part was good.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 06:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:28:31 | 24.85 miles | 10.04 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: Hills, a really great fast downhill woo hoo
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:58:56 | 06.21 miles | 19m 09s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: HOT. HOT. NO SHADE ANYWHERE.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-10-01 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Bonelli Olympic Distance Triathlon

2007-10-01 4:31 PM
in reply to: #985582

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Bonelli Olympic Distance Triathlon

DAMN that pedal gouge is ugly! It's even uglier in real life; I shoulda taken a better shot of it . EWWWW! I can't believe you finished and finished WELL. That run was azz effen HOT. You inspire me beyond belief. You inspired me through my whole own race because I knew you were back there battling it out longer than I was. Strength to Dolores!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making this race possible for us. You are a hero--you are MY hero--and you proved you are bigger and badder than even this big, bad course was on a big, bad day. For having guts and heart, nobody is your equal. WOWEE!

2007-10-01 5:24 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Congrats for sticking it out with the whole course seemingly getting taken down around you! Once around that bike course in the "Express" was enough for me--serious kudos for making it around three times!
2007-10-01 6:03 PM

User image

SoCal
Dolores, you are AWESOME. It was great racing with you, and when we saw you RUNNING on that long, hot concrete stretch of road by the airport, I was truly impressed. That bike was a beast, no doubt about it. Next time, we have to find an Olympic course that's FLAT!

Congratulations to you AND Yanti! Wooo hoo hoo!
2007-10-01 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
Wow, another great story of determination. I was in this race too, and found the combination of hills and heat to be overwhelming. Congratulations.
2007-10-01 8:24 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Excellent job sticking it through to the end.  That perserverance is awesome!

2007-10-01 9:29 PM

Dolores you are amazing - I thought I was mentally tough sticking out the OLY but you take the Mental Toughness award hand down!
The heat was horrible but you made it through.

Congrats and hope to see you at the next race at Bonelli (April?)

Suzie
2007-10-02 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks everybody for your responses - I am overwhelmed! Thank you so much it means the world to me - you don't even know.

That course hasn't seen the last of me......
2007-10-03 12:28 AM

User image

Regular
So Cal.

Hey Dolores,

Congratulations on your finish.  They always break down the transition area early here.  I found my bike on the ground last time. 

Fantastic and inspiring race report.  I hope to see you there next year.

2007-10-03 11:47 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Great job! That sounds like such a tremendous challenge and you rock for sticking with it and finishing. How freaking rad are you!!!
2007-10-05 1:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You guys are really the BEST! Thanks for the love!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bonelli Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed