TNT productions
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 22/67
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45, SSS, then coffee, cheerios, wheat toast, juice, and vitamins. I had a water bottle and an endurolite. This wil be my first race taking electrolyte pills. I have had cramping problems in each race that I have done. I did a few bricks using the endurolite supplements and I think they helped. We shall see. We left at 5:40 and headed down Connecticut Avenue with Greenie loaded to capacity with my race crew - all six of them. Thanks for getting up everybody!
Event warmup:

Set up T, ate the Snickers Marathon bar they gave us, then I saw and talked with Mike D. We met at last years race, this year we are in the same AG, so our racks were right next to each other. He is a real nice guy and good racer too! I just kinda took my time setting everything up, trying to get myself psyched up, saw the Mayor, said good morning to him and wished him a good race. I finished 10 seconds behind him last year. I was hoping to reverse that out come this time, but he must be doing some serious training because he crushed me by 10 minutes. I had another water bottle and two more endurolites.
Swim
  • 31m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am in wave K, so I hung out by the swim exit to see the first pro/elites come out of the water. I ate a Gu, then headed down at 8:20 for my 8:36 start. I was feeling so calm, very much at peace, and ready for a good race. They had a 10x10 floating dock for entry into the water. It worked out pretty well. We had 2 or 3 minutes in the water before the horn sounded and off we went. I just took it easy at the beginning. I had not down much swim training (again). I knew I could do the distance with no problem. I was not real pleased about how much upstream there would be, but hey, everyone else had to swim it too, so you just go, go, go. I felt comfortable in the water, I had a few minor calf cramping issues, but they seemed to resolve themselves. I never looked at my watch in the water, but I thought The upstream portion went pretty well. Once I hit the buoy though I had serious sighting problems, as in like I couldn't see! We were headed right back into the sun, the glare made it very difficult for me. I had brought tinted TYR goggles but my trusted the seal on my clear Aquapsheres more. I ended up swimming pretty blind. I caught myself off course a few times, but in the end I made it so, I had the bike and run to catch back up to the others. I am not complaining. I swam in the POTOMAC!!
What would you do differently?:

more swim training (duh) and check the sun. I definitely should have used my tinted goggles. I know I could have been faster, if I could see.
Transition 1
  • 05m 5s
Comments:

I ran the whole 300m from the river to T1. I had just a little bit of trouble with my wetsuit but not too bad. I hit on some gatorade, grabbed my bike, and ran to the bike exit. I thought I did ok, but my transitiosn are still really slow. Also, I forgot to bring Gu for on the bike. I was not happy about this, but would just have to go it with no calorie replacement for a while.

tape Gu on bike, practice my T
Bike
  • 1h 06m 45s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I had a lot of time to make up, so I hammered it just about the whole time. I really gave this ride my utmost mental effort. I wanted to catch all the guys who swam faster than me. The areas where I pushed the hardest were on the way down to Haines Point and the tunnel sections, where you could get a good run on the very short downhill. On the way back in from Haines Point the wind was pretty fierce and by far the toughest part of the course. I stayed as low on aero bars as I could possibly get and just mashed the pedals all the way around. I felt like I gave it all I had. The question later would be "did I hammer the bike too hard?" I saw everyone from my crew on top of a bridge near the end of the first bike loop, they yelled encouragement at me, and as I came off my aero bars with my right hand to wave, I nearly wrecked. DOH! But I didn't wreck, so now its funny. I gave a volunteer a bit of a scare too, sorry dude. I knew I had a good bike going. I was passing people all over the place. When I got to T2, I looked at my watch and knew I was somewhere around 67 minutes!! But I also knew my bike computer said 23 miles. Still, I was very, very happy with this bike. I saw Mike D in T2.

not forget bike nutrition and perhaps remember that I do have to run after I get off the bike!
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

I could not believe how fast the bike split was. I ate a Gu, said hey to Mike D, shoes on, hat on, hit the gatorade, off I went.

more practice here
Run
  • 47m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I had no legs from the get go. I had some abdominal issues again, but nothing, NOTHING like Columbia. At least this time I could run a decent pace. I was not going nearly as fast as I wanted to, but my calves felt good, I was making decent progress, and I knew that I had probably done a bit too much on the bike. I tried to speed up a couple of times but just didn't have much left. Overall, I think I did OK. I just kept trying to be smooth, keep a decent pace and hang on for dear life. I was very happy to see the finish line, the 2:33 clock time, and my crew! Thanks again everyone!

not too much, yes, I overdid the bike, but I think I had to.
Post race
Warm down:

I still had a lot of air and gas to get rid of. I felt ok, except for the gas pains. It took a while for the pain to stop. I was doing a lot of grunting and groaning. I was pleased about the race, but really not in much of a festive mood. We needed to get everyone back home, so we grabbed the shuttle and off we went. What a cool event!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

swim more, bike more, run more, but I really think I did ok for what I can get in.

Event comments:

Congrats to Chuck Brodsky, the Mayor, and all the volunteers! Everyone did a fantastic job! Thank you all for a great opportunity~

Last updated: 2007-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:23 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/67
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: Wow, they really are actually gonna let us swim in the Potomac! IT has 35 years since anyone was allowed to legally swim in this part of the river. I mean, you tell people you are swimming in the Potomac and they look at you real funny and ask you if you got your shots and antibiotics. I called my doctor and he said that none of that would really do anything for you and not to worry. My Dad is a microbiologist and he said it would be fine too. So, no water trepidation, just lack of time in the pool. Oh, about the course... In water start at Washington Harbor, it is 700m upstream to just short og the Key Bridge and then 800m back downstream, ladder climb exit just past start.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:45 | 24.85 miles | 22.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/67
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Flat and very fast, but not THAT fast, this was more like 23 miles. Rock Creek Parkaway, down around Haines Point (twice), Independence, Constitution Ave, riding among the nation's monuments and historic buildings. Just an awesome ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:28 | 06.21 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/67
Performance: Average
Course: more flat and fast, awesome course, running downtown DC with roads closed, just can't beat it! Fantastic venue!! This is why I wanted this race!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-01 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2007-10-01 2:59 PM
in reply to: #985896

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon
Great race and report.  That wind was killer and, for me, unexpected.  Tinted goggles didn't help me on the way back in and I probably added a hundred meters to my swim length.  Enjoy the off season.  I know I will.
2007-10-02 2:28 PM
in reply to: #985896

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon
Awesome race!!! You really smoked the bike course, and finished it with a strong run. Really great effort!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed