General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running : Asphalt –vs- Grass Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-01 2:56 PM

User image

Jax, Florida
Subject: Running : Asphalt –vs- Grass
As a newbie, I'm looking for some advice.

Have just started training but I hope to be up to about 20 mi a week of running soon. Since I live in a neighborhood with a golf course I could possibly change my schedule allowing me to run on the golf course at night in lieu of the roads in the morning.

As I’m overweight and probably will be until spring is there an advantage to running on the grass. I’m guessing it would be a little tougher to plod along on the grass but may be easier impact wise on my joints as I have no history of running. Asking because my knees seem to be just a touch sore today. Or with the small amount of mileage I’m talking about does it not really matter.

2007-10-01 3:10 PM
in reply to: #986012

Expert
Subject: RE: Running : Asphalt –vs- Grass
Run on soft surfaces whenever you can. Those knees need to last you a long long time.
2007-10-01 3:21 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Virtus - 2007-10-01 2:56 PM Since I live in a neighborhood with a golf course I could possibly change my schedule allowing me to run on the golf course at night in lieu of the roads in the morning.

I would ask for permission in advance to run on the course.  There could be a liability thing if something happens.

Golf courses were always fun to run on in meets and in training when I was in H.S. (20 plus years ago).

Have fun!  FORE!! 

2007-10-01 3:30 PM

User image

Champion
Milton, GA

here are my 2 cents...

I am all for running and training on different types of surfaces... but at the end of the day keep in mind what you will be racing on.

I live on a golf course, too, but avoid running on it for a couple of reasons.  The most important is that the golf course is not flat and has a lot of uneven areas that I could easily risk turning an ankle on if I land wrong.  I would rather risk my knees on asphalt than an ankle in the grass.  The other is I have found that mosquitoes are worse on the golf course in the evening than on the road.

Looking at your log, and I am by no means a running expert, I would say that it may be more a matter of how much running you are doing having come 'off the couch' than the actual surface your running on.  Back to back 4 milers in the early stages of training can hurt.

Good luck and have fun!

2007-10-01 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past

x2 on the permission question.

Training for my first (only) marathon, I was strongly encouraged to run on soft surfaces as much as possible and where possible, away from the sides of the roads (crowned roads put you in an uneven stance at the edge of the roadway).

So, the golf course idea sounds good, but I'd stay in the fairways - more uneven terrain/hazards in the rough and near tees/greens, e.g bunkers.

Watch out for small caliber gun fire...not sure how many Carl Spacklers there might be lurking about...or Mitch Kupsteins "night putting with the daughter of the dean...".

2007-10-01 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Since you're new to running and say you're overweight, expect to have some normal knee aches while building weekly mileage, regardless of surface.  Running on soft surfaces should reduce them...

2007-10-01 6:57 PM

User image

Jax, Florida
Thanks everbody, might try some running on the course later this week and see how it goes. Some new running shoes might not hurt either, still using the ones I've been cutting grass in the past year.
2007-10-01 7:29 PM
in reply to: #986507

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA

Yes, get some good running shoes. The store I go to in Torrance, CA (Road Runner Sports) does a free computer-assisted gait analysis before they help you pick out the best shoe for you. Maybe there is such a service at a store in your area.

Stay on the grass as much as possible until your legs are used to running. Then vary the running surface. You might want to consider only running every other day to make sure you recover properly.

One more thing. I was in Florida a month ago and tried to run on the grass along the roadside. I found it to be an entirely different kind of grass than what we have here in Southern California; very thick blades, very dense growth, and even when it had been recently cut, it was still very long. Plus it always seemed to be wet. I found it to be an overly spongy and poor running surface. Running on a golf course should be much better.

2007-10-01 7:35 PM

User image

SoCal
I'm a very overweight "runner" (and I use that term very loosely) with bad feet and knees, and unless it's a race or a team training session, I only run on these surfaces (listed in order of preference):

The large grass median on the street near my apartment
The spongy rubber track at the community college
The dirt track at the high school where I teach

I also have good shoes with orthotics, and I follow every run with ice on the knees and an ibuprofen before bed. In the last six months or so, my knees have been WAY better, even as I've increased my distance (though, sadly, not my speed ).

Be careful of where you're putting your feet, though; twisting, spraining, or breaking an ankle is a very real possibility when you're running on an uneven, unpredictable surface like grass. I pretty much have to look down the whole time on the median or I'll trip over a tree root, guaranteed.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running : Asphalt –vs- Grass Rss Feed