Richmond Multisports
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 50m 11s
Overall Rank = 47/117
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

I camped at the race site to save some money after a long and expensive drive from Massachusetts. Actually slept okay on a thermarest! Woke up at 5:45 and ate 1/3 cup of breakfast risotto that I made the night before. Less-than fresh risotto didn't go down as well as the fresh stuff. Downed a gel shot and ate a spoonful of nutella. Not super healthy, but after the rice failed the belly check I needed calories! Went back to sleep until 6:30. (Yes, camping was worth being able to grab another 30 minutes of sleep!)
Event warmup:

Set up my transition and went through body marking. Met up with a friend to do a 1.2 mile jog on the run course. The race was delayed an hour because of heavy fog over the river, so the warm-up turned out to be rather premature. Opted not to do a warm-up swim for fear of getting lost in the fog.
Swim
  • 32m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

First leg was up-current, which was a battle for me. The turn buoys were the same yellow as the swim caps, so I think I was sighting off somebody's head part of the time. After the first turn, the current's push downstream made life easier. Exiting on the steep grass was tricky. Still having trouble bilateral breathing in race, despite it being natural in the pool. But I mostly stayed on-course, which was nice.
What would you do differently?:

Don't get so close to the turn buoys. Work on bi-lateral breathing under race conditions.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Slow getting into T1. Suit came of easily thanks to heavy use of body glide. Just felt slow, and the time shows it. Easily 30-60 seconds slower than normal. Traffic jam at bike mount line.

Run faster into and out of T1. Get helmet and glasses on while taking suit off.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 12s
  • 26 miles
  • 18.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Did a fairly good job keeping my cadence up. Really tried to hammer the hills and rest a bit on down-hills, and approach that seemed to have paid off. Felt strong on the hills and shifted well. Cornering was horrible. Felt nervous about appearance of gravel, so I took turns really slow. Set my watch to beep every 10 minutes as a drink reminder. Consumed my nutrition bottle in first hour and half a water bottle next 24 minutes. The regular drinking really helped in the bike and later in the run. Overall I'm pleased with my ride; it was much faster than training pace.

Just go faster. This is definitely my weakest leg, so it looks like me and the trainer will have to become good friends this winter.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

A little slow getting off the bike. Need to learn a quicker dismount. Racking the bike was really smooth. Helmet and shoes off and running shoes on went smooth. Took a Gu and water. Forgot my extra Gu for the run.

Improve dismount. Run faster. Don't forget Gu. Body glide my feet for the run.
Run
  • 49m 54s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really happy with my run. I managed to pick up some spots on the overall rankings. I ran barefoot (i.e., sans socks), which I tried a few times in training with mixed results. At ~2.5 miles my right knee started to hurt and my left foot developed a nasty hot spot. I think it might be the insoles of my shoes. When I crossed mile marker 4 my knee was killing me so I backed off the pace and ran mile 5 at ~8:39. Hammered on the last mile. Leg totally seized up after finish. Overall a great run, though. Pace was 30 seconds faster than at Mooseman.

Body glide feet if I run without socks. My knee was hurting a bit the 2 weeks before the race, so I should have given it more rest. I forgot my mid-run gel, so I should have taken some Gatorade at one of the aid stations.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a lot of water and a bottle of Gatorade. Ate some cookies and stretched right knee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had my right knee not given me so much trouble I could have easily peeled 45 seconds off the run. Need to work on transitions and spend more time on the bike.

Event comments:

Race started 1 hour late, but this was due to fog on the river. I certainly don't fault them for taking athlete safety seriously!

Last updated: 2007-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:57 | 1640 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 46/117
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless Xterra
Course: Trapezoidal loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:24:12 | 26 miles | 18.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 69/117
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat to rolling rural course with 3-4 notable climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:54 | 06.21 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 46/117
Performance: Good
Course: Dead flat out-and-back route on a rural roads.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-01 6:42 PM

New user

Andover, MA
Subject: Naylor's Beach Triathlon

2007-10-01 7:35 PM
in reply to: #986487

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: Naylor's Beach Triathlon

Nice race. Running barefoot!! You're brave.  I'd be afraid of picking up some glass or stubbing a toe.  But hey...makes for a quick transition   Good job!

2007-10-03 7:25 AM
in reply to: #986487

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: RE: Naylor's Beach Triathlon
Awesome race! How did you swim so fast in those conditions?
I was sighting off someone's head, too. Although it was one yellow cap in a sea of pink for me.
I'm with shawn-it takes guts to run barefoot.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naylor's Beach Triathlon Rss Feed