General Discussion Race Reports! » 4th Annual SEE JANE TRI All Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

4th Annual SEE JANE TRI All Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasanton, California
United States
See Jane Run
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 20s
Overall Rank = 144/429
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 29/71
Pre-race routine:

The Wetsuit debate. To wear or not to wear. It was quite chilly, but the water was warm - especially compared to our weekly OW swims. So, I decided I could suffer through the chill without a wetsuit. I was actually kind of excited about it because I abhor wetsuits. Without doubt, putting on and taking off the wetsuit is my least favorite part about the routine. So that was a good decision to make. Not to fear though, I still have my oh-so-pretty purple water booties for good luck!

I got there early and immediately ran into a bunch of Janes I knew. That was fun. I saw Sabrina, Jackie, Angela, Amy, and more. Set up my transition area quickly and had to double-check frequently because I felt like it should have taken longer and I must be forgetting something. I wasn't. Sabrina brought a marker, so we did our own body marking and three trips to the bathroom later, I was ready to go.
Event warmup:

I wanted to go down to the water and warm up first. The others weren't thrilled about getting in the cold water, but we all still headed down there. Of course, it started late, so we had plenty of time. I waded in a bit, got accostumed to the water temp, then went a bit deeper. I didn't hear the minute warnings, so all of a sudden the wave ahead of me was starting and I had yet to do a warm-up swim, so I quickly dove in and did a few strokes quickly just to get used to it. Felt good. Glad I went all the way in, then when I was out for the beach start, I was chilly and just wanted to get back in the water!
Swim
  • 09m 45s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

People have always told me that the swim in a tri is tough because you get kicked and shoved and trampled in the water so much. I never had too bad of an experience with this, so I thoguht people were just making a big deal about the very beginning. But then I realized that the reason I never had any bad experiences was that I am usually so far at the back of the pack that I am not around anyone to kick me. But today, for the first time, I experienced this for a majority of the race, which I took to mean that I was actually up with the pack and swimming faster! Pht. Pht. Phtuey! Gulp. Gulp. Spit. Pht. Phth. Gulp. I actually think I was faster in the swim this year and that felt good. I am in no way fast, but at least I managed to stay with the group and not finish last. That was nice.
What would you do differently?:

May need a bit more practice swimming in OW with no wetsuit and the water shoes on. My butt kept sinking and I realized I was losing the buancy of the wetsuit and I had to focus more on keeping my body streamlined. Or, I could just try to convince myself that my booties were "weighing" me down! =)
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

SO WONDERFUL not to have a wetsuit! T1 can be much faster without it! It definitly made my transition easy and fun. Though I did have to strip off the top of my swimsuit before I put my other shirt on top. I really need to consider a tri top....

New sticky waxy ear plugs I have never used before got a bit stuck in ears...ewwww.
Bike
  • 37m 30s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike course. Had to remind myself to push myself. I would push myself then start strolling along as if I was on a leisurely ride, then think again, push harder! I told myself to Dump The Tank a few times too. At one point, Sabrina passed me and we said hey, then we met up again and were riding along side eachother for a bit chatting away. Funny to just chat in the middle of a race. Nice boost to have friends doing the race too.

Bike went by quickly. I did take a gu about half way at the turn-around. Could have pushed a bit more, but I started remembering to push a bit, which is better than my other races.

Drink more water!!! Silly me, really need to drink more on the bike. Will try hydration drink next time.

Try putting gu in pocket instead of taping it to the handlebars.

Push myself a bit more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

I don't really remember this race. I saw Carolyn and Leonard here which was fun. They always boost my energy and make me smile. I love to hear them cheer for me and believe in me. Nice to have the kleenex's out at this transition. Went pretty quickly and smoothly.

Tough to rack that mountain bike. Hmmm....
Run
  • 29m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

No heel pain, magically enough.

The first mile went by at a normal pace, but the second and third flew by. I'm wondering if it was properly marked....??? Either way, when the finish line was in sight, I was happy. And, I was thinking, "I'm sure glad this is a sprint because there is no way I am ready for an Oly right now!"

Drink more water! Really did not have enough liquids in me.

Create a ritual "pump-me-up" cheer for myself to repeat over and over when I am fading.
Post race
Warm down:

Another big cheer from C&L is always fun. I sprinted in at the end and met Sabrina with a smile on my face. Then we waited for Angela and Jackie to come in. I was fine and chatting for the first few minutes, then all of a sudden, I felt really faint and knew that I immediately needed to lay down so I didn't pass out. The same thing, though not as severe, that happened in West Sacramento. I really need to force myself to drink water. I was just dehydrated and it hit me. After I put my head down and my feet up for a bit and drank some water, I was fine. But it reminded me that I need to take better care of myself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Water. Did not drink enough water. Need to train with a sport drink to get the electrolytes on the bike.

Event comments:

I'm so glad I decided to do this! It was really fun to get back out there and funny how a sprint seems so easy now after having completed an Oly. Now, will I be ready to do another Oly in 5 weeks???

Last updated: 2007-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:45 | 400 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 51/71
Overall: 271/429
Performance: Good
Suit: nope
Course: Out around two buoys to make a rectangle back to the other side of the beach. Pretty clear course and lots of water support if needed.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:30 | 11 miles | 17.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/71
Overall: 153/429
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty clear - way to go See Jane!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:30 | 03.1 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/71
Overall: 159/429
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly course in the pretty part of the quarry. Definitely the best-looking part of the race. I was struggling a bit on the run. Felt jiggly legs a bit more than usual. Also had to keep reminding myself that I was racing and to push it. I should just carry a mini-recorder with me that says "Dump The Tank" over and over. My goal is always to run the whole time and I did. I started to fade a bit at times and had to give myself a little self-talk about it then. Enjoyed the inspirational quotes posted along the way as well.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-01 7:46 PM

User image

New user
Subject: 4th Annual SEE JANE TRI All Women's Triathlon

2007-10-08 7:53 PM
in reply to: #986587

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: 4th Annual SEE JANE TRI All Women's Triathlon
Great job Jodie! It definitely seems like your swimming is improving and that it was a good tune up for your Oly. Keep up the good work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 4th Annual SEE JANE TRI All Women's Triathlon Rss Feed