Wilmington YMCA
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 9s
Overall Rank = 89/321
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 16/47
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 am. Finished filling water bottles, ate peanut butter and jelly sandwich, had coffee, loaded car after checking tires and gear bag. Packing, filling tires, preping H2O bottles the night before is NOT OVERATED! Fed and walked the dogs and then took off!

Event warmup:

After setting up at the transition and getting marked, we did take the shuttle over to the Blockade Runner. We ran about a half mile easy and then stretched and hung around for the sun to come up. Kudos to the race organizers who provided a way to get stuff back to the end of the race--I'm not sure I would have survived the 1 1/2 hour wait without jacket and shoes!! When I gave up my stuff, it was warmer in the water (79.5), though barely. I was chattering waiting for wave 9 but I did do some warm up strokes
Swim
  • 26m 15s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Whoa!!!!! Has everyone seen the Cliff Bar commercial(google youtube and cliff bar)? I don't think it's funny anymore. When I finally got into my groove and saw the sunrise over my right shoulder every other stroke I felt......nauseous! That's right, I spent the whole swim wanting to puke. I had to breast stroke for about 45 sec just to get my stomach under control. And although I caught up with a few of the 50+ men in the wave ahead, it didn't help me over come the panic I felt at being swum(?) over by the wave behind me. I was sure at one point I had been swimming for at least 30 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

I need a swim coach. I did alot of training that did pay off (after all that my time was still the mean for the women) but I don't think I mentally prepared for managing my adrenaline. Also needed to line up with the left of the buoy--everyone like myself that got caught close to the docks didn't get the full benefit of the current.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Practicing the transition did help alot. Socks and shoes went on without a hitch. I got about a third of the gel bottle down.

No more bike gloves. The course was open enough and my hands were in the aerobars most of the time anyway. I am going to practice jumping on my bike more too.
Bike
  • 36m 13s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, it was all worth it to be able to smoke the ride! I passed so many people I was afraid I'd get docked for blocking. The ride felt so good--I know I could have pushed it harder but I was averaging 20-22 mph in the little chain ring and it felt sooo good that I didn't want to waste my legs for the run. I didn't get off as smoothly as I could have, but I'm happy.

Maybe push a little harder, possibly go ahead and get into the big ring. Practice getting off bike better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Lost at least a minute and half because I forgot my race belt! I got down another third of the gel.

Although I did those dress rehearsals, I changed the order of the race belt (I thought you had to have it on on the bike) at the last minute. Not only am I going to practice more next time but I'll stick the belt in my shoe so I can't forget it. Again, I'm losing the riding gloves..could cut down time without them.
Run
  • 26m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually had to walk for about 30sec in the first few minutes to get my stomach under control again. I'm not sure why I kept wanting to puke. Anyway, even with the race belt disaster and the walking, I still ran an average of 8.26, which I am ecstatic about. Considering the 5k that I ran last year at this time was nearly 34 minutes, I am proud of how far I've come!

Figure out how not to be nauseous
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around

What limited your ability to perform faster:

NAUSEA!

Event comments:

Will probably do this one again next year...the course is just right and the race was really well organized. The swim leg, though, I have to admit is just a little daunting for a first triathlon. Swim more, Swim more, Swim more!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:15 | 1500 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/47
Overall: 164/321
Performance: Below average
with strong current and 2.19 run to transition area. Actual time in H2O was 23.50
Suit: no
Course: point to point
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:13 | 12.43 miles | 20.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/47
Overall: 42/321
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Narrow in some places as riders coming back were in the same lane. Traffic added another dimension as well. Course was flat and wind wasn't too bad.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good