set-up.inc
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 35m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 13/22
Event warmup:

I did the bike leg of TEAM BANANAHAMMOCK, so this is from my perspective.
We drove up the day before. The Ninja wrote down Fairfield Inn so we headed over there. I didn't think that sounded right but I went with it. On the way in, we saw RockStar Brian and he asked "aren't you guys staying at the Hampton?". So back into the car. We arrived at the Hampton, got checked in and on the way to the room saw Mila, John, Greg and Jamie (already pre-gaming it). We visited for a while and then headed over to dinner that Heather setup. I didn't like the triple-tip that they added (food wasn't THAT good) but otherwise it was a nice dinner.

Went back and "borrowed" Kraigs 24oz Shiltz Malt Liquor as we all watched the Auburn-Florida game.

Next morning woke up, had breakfast, saw everyone, headed over to race sight.

Got my tires pumped by car headlight (it was very dark in the parking lot). Checkin was a little longish and I was already getting amped up. Saw Leslie who had Amy's bike, grabbed my bike, filled water bottles and headed to transition.

Saw Kirk and Chris. Chris was all set to go minus wearing my wet suit inside out. For a moment, I thought it would be funny to just let him swim with it that way, but I decided since he was already sick, I would help a brother out. Surprisingly, he said the wet suit went on much better when it was the correct way - duh.

Got my bike all set, changed into riding close, applied sun screen and hung out. As I was headed out of transition, The Ninja pointed me to help out Amy. Finally, something to take my mind off the ride. Quickly found her bike for her and helped get her setup. Then her friend Kate had a bike issue, so I headed over there to help her out too. All this excitement and the race hadn't even started yet.

Finally headed over to the swim start and wished everyone a great day and to have fun. Saw Chris' wave get in the water and take off.

Swim
  • 35m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Chris did the swim. As I looked at the course, knowing I'm going to do that swim next yet, it looked very long. I hope I forget about it soon because I don't want that imagine in my mind.
Transition 1
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

As I waited for Chris, the first relay team swimmer came in for Team Rabobank. She was fast. I later learned she was an Champion simmer back in the 80s. Cheaters.

I also saw the leaders. Badass.

Then I saw Brett, Brian M., Steven, Kraig, Brian R all come through transition. (Ok, goal set: catch Brett).

Chris came in, I grabbed the chip off his ankle and off I went.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Here is my ride from motion based: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4086972

The fun started as I ran out of transition. My new Garmin 305 popped off my bike. I grabbed it. Then my flying mount wasn't so much flying and it wasn't so much mount. I had to stop, get settled for a second and actually get on my bike like a normal person.

I saw plenty of peeps almost bust it running in bike shoes coming out of transition so I left my shoes on my bike. I'm still glad I did that.

Miles 1-10 I had a hard time getting my HR to settle down. Nerves. I found Rockstar Brian pretty quick and chatted with him for a second. He asked me to make sure his beer was cold when I got done. Nice - I love those priorities.

Next up, I think, was steventrihard. Then I reeled in Kraig. All during miles 20-40 I think. This part was just cranking out the miles, passing more people than passed me.

At mile 40 the run really started. I really noticed the wind here. Riding a disk, I felt like I was being pushed around. Wouldn't change my race setup at all though. As if the roads could get worse, they did. Right at 40-45 we took a road that was glorified crushed gravel. Assholes.

My plan all along was to try to ride as steady as possible, maybe 10 beats below LT, until the last 20 miles than make a big push at the end. I didn't quite have enough gas in the tank to start the big push that early. But with about 10 miles left, I tried to kick it up a notch. With 6 miles left, I told myself "listen, you piece of crap. You are tired - so what. You have less than 20 minutes on this bike. Leave nothing here." Hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer.

I entered the park in full steam. I caught and passed Brian M at that point. I saw Brett running out of the park (damnit - I was supposed to catch him on the bike). Almost wrecked at the turn in front of the home crowd. Heard Thing 1 call "Daddy" - made me smile on the inside. The Ninja later said I came by so fast she almost didn't see me.

Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

I pushed right up to the dismount like, flying dismount, and started running. Garmin fell off again (maybe this whole bike mount thing will have to be rethought). Picked it up, started running again. Kirk took the chip off and he was gone.
Run
  • 2h 03m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Took me about 5 minutes to breath like a normal person. Changed clothes, talked with Leslie and Jamie. Saw all the NAMCers come in and leave for the run. Grabbed Brian's beer so it could be iced down.

Meet up with everyone at the tent and spent the rest of the day cheering people on.

This was by far the most fun I've had at a race this year (maybe tied with PTC). I was a blast to just hammer the bike. Then I got to cheer on everyone while they suffered and I drank beer. I think I will plan next year at least one race where I do a relay team.

Event comments:

Roads sucked. But everything else was great. I will do this race next year.

Last updated: 2007-10-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:45 | 2112 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:08 | 56 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Performance:
Avg. Heart Rate 161 bpm
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:03:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Performance:
I think Kirk said he had trouble calming down the first few miles.
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-02 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Subject: South Carolina Half

2007-10-02 9:39 AM
in reply to: #987195

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Subject: RE: South Carolina Half
Great ride! Hope to see you here next year. You will have to have someone else get a cold beer ready for you! (Keep in mind that I wouldn't turn down one either. My post race relaxation this year was carrying our 3 year-old around and trying to get the 5 year-old out of the tent with the hoses.)
2007-10-02 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Nice ride.  I bet you had fun with that disk in the winds
2007-10-02 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Fun RR, Jonathan, and great job on the ride!!  And post-ride sounded like a blast too.  Sweet!
2007-10-02 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job on the ride. Your course profile looked like a cross view of the roads. Nice job hammering it out!
2007-10-02 2:57 PM

Woodstock, GA
Nice report, sounds like you had a blast.

2007-10-02 3:25 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

The disk was the correct choice, but I almost got blown over a few times myself. Glad you didn't catch me, that gives you another goal to work for next year!

Great job on the bike, you CAN do this entire distance (and you will next season).

2007-10-02 5:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Good job out there!
2007-10-02 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
You did an awesome job on the bike - sounds like those fancy new wheels paid off (when I finally get a tri bike, I'll probably be asking you more questions about those!)!! Sounds like you had a fun day and you posted an excellent time - congrats!!
2007-10-02 7:01 PM

User image

great ride jonathan!   i am impressed by your biking skills...(not only because i don't have them, but because that's just awesome!

thanks also for helping me out before the race.  i really appreciated that.   nice meeting you.

2007-10-03 9:12 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Right at 40-45 we took a road that was glorified crushed gravel. .

Pretty much summed up the bike course.

Great job hammering on the bike over the distance.  You rocked it.

Triple-dog thanks for icing down the post-race Schlitz.  Next time, we drink a Colt 45 Fourty post race - jug handle in the brown paper bag ... niice.

2007-10-05 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Great ride, Pickles.  I, too, thought doing a relay was an ABSOLUTE blast... I loved being able to hammer out my part but still have the opportunity to hang out and cheer and see a big part of the race.  The wind was brutal, that crushed gravel road was obnoxious, but it was still a good course.  We had fun hanging out with you guys, too.

Ninja?  Priceless.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carolina Half Rss Feed