General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike computer installation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-04 12:03 AM

Subject: bike computer installation
Newbie question so please bear with me

I bought a cateye wireless computer and after reading the instructions I saw that you need to adjust the computer to fit my specific tire size. Done, but the manual is not specific on where on the wheel I need to install the magnet and sensor. Based on the image I installed it exactly 1 inch from the perimeter of the wheel. Is this the right place? Not an engineer but I do know that measurements will differ depending on where on the wheel the magnet is installed. I wanna get the most accurate measurment possible so any help will be appreciated.

I dont know why I cant find the measurement!

2007-10-04 3:41 AM
in reply to: #990885

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
Subject: RE: bike computer installation

Aloha

it doesnt matter really. The magnet and sensor measures revolutions of the wheel so one rev is one rev wheather measured top or bottom of wheel.

I have mine on the back so it records on the indoor trainer and have it at the rim as that is all the cable will allow on the rear wheel.

Hope this helps.

2007-10-04 9:00 AM
in reply to: #990885

it does, but I am still trying to wrap my head around it lol, but come to think of it no matter where it is one the post crosses the sensor at the same time no matter the where on the wheel the magnet is...hmm shoulda thought about that
2007-10-04 10:53 PM
in reply to: #991148

Veteran
Well, don't feel too bad about it. I had the same question, several days ago. The magnet and sensor on my mtn bike are ruffly at mid span of the spokes. Took me the longest time to figure out why it works....

Doug
2007-10-06 7:08 AM
in reply to: #992841

User image

Regular
O'ahu or At Sea
As stated above, one rev is one rev.  Wheel size is important because the circumference of a bigger tire means more ground covered per that one rev.  Placement of magnet/sensor is more a function of where the closest point is on the fork between it and the wheel without getting up into brake territory.  The sensor and magnet have to be really close to each other or you won't get a reading.  Think of gap almost in terms of a sliver, just far enough not to touch.  FYI - Due to geometry of my bike, I have to add a shim between the sensor and frame when I'm riding a lot indoors and have to use rear wheel.  On the front wheel, you shouldn't have to do this.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike computer installation Rss Feed