General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand new Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-30 7:28 PM

Madison, MS
Subject: Brand new Triathlete
First off, I'm 38, married with two small girls, ages 4 and 2. I am training with my best friend to do the unthinkable, make a 1/2 IM as our first ever tri in May this year. As of yesterday I tipped the scales at 245 lbs on a 6'4" frame down 5 lbs since New Years.

I've had several experience tri-folk tell me I may be too ambitious, my credo is to train as hard as possible as long as I don't hurt too bad. My goal is to finish my first race not win it and build from there.

Yesterday I loaded my 4 year old in the bike trailer and rode for several miles. Today she wanted to go again. Sharing my training with my kids is tremendous motivation. This what I am looking forward too, teaching my girls how important being healthy and in good shape is. I hope I set a good example for them.

I have read many helpful training tips, good will and encouragement. Thanks in advance for any tips I use moving forward.

2004-01-30 9:05 PM
in reply to: #5565

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Subject: RE: Brand new Triathlete

Welcome and good luck on the goals. They may be a bit ambitious, but that's not saying you can't do it. For what it's worth my first triathlon was a 1/2. I only trained for three months and finished, kicked my @ss though. Though I was 18 at the time and in decent shape going in. I too am 38 and getting back into shape after a 10 year layoff from triathlons. Again good luck and good training.

JD

2004-01-30 9:29 PM

User image

Champion

congrats on the ambitious goal...why set a goal if u KNOW u can do it...gotta push the outer limits...

(just train safe

my only advice would be to NOT BE AFRAID TO WALK for the run part...u will prob be good for the swim...have some easy strokes to fall back on....go easy on the bike...save all strength for the run....do walking intervals...it will save your @ss.  we want u back healthy.

2004-01-30 9:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho

First off, Welcome! I was like you, wanted my first ever race to be the half IM and was training with my friend, but then he bailed on me and i am still going for it. But, from reading lots of posts and several articles I have decided to dull down the half IM goal to an OLY. I am 5’11” and 225 now but when I started I was 265. I think that I would be pushing my luck if I shot for the half IM but I was really out of shape and needed to build a good foundation to begin training and staying injury free. The hardest part for me is not training to hard! I just want to train and train! But in the beginning rest is as important as the training, I just have to keep reminding my self that! Look forward to looking at your logs and may you have many safe training days!! And great job with bringing your children! You are a great example! Jack.

2004-01-31 7:55 AM

User image

Central Louisiana

Welcome and good luck on your goal of the 1/2!

2004-01-31 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I would have to agree with everyone on wishing you the best of luck. It's a great ambitious goal- that it sounds like you'll meet no problem. Be careful with making every training day a 'race' against yourself. it sounds like you've got a lot of resources that you're looking into. Wishing you the best,

Milly

2004-02-01 7:35 AM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Welcome, and best wishes on your goal! Its great that you involve your children. To finish a half-Ironman is a great accomplishment.

JR
2004-02-02 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

Welcome to the board! Sounds great to have a training partner. What is your previous (lsat 6 mos) activity level? This is a big goal for first year. One thing to be very watchful for is over training and injuries. Even though your muscles and cardio fitness might feel fine, your ligaments and tendons take the longest to grow stronger. Be sure to not increase training too quickly (10% rule) and to take a recovery week every 4 weeks.

2004-02-03 10:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Hey welcome - Wow - great goals. For me - maybe next year on the 1/2 IM - Ditto on the train smart and pay attention if your body starts nagging you I want you back here too!
2004-02-07 8:32 PM

Madison, MS
I've been in Denver for a week. Thank you for all the encouragement.
This is what I think is the stength of this board, SUPPORT!!!

Thank You,
Jimbo Raley
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand new Triathlete Rss Feed