set-up.inc
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 41m 48s
Overall Rank = 99/105
Age Group = 44-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

48 year old mother of five children finishes first half-iron!! Wasn't sure I could "beat" the cutoffs! Stayed at Holiday Inn Express. Ate at Capri's Italian, along with a zillion other triathletes. Didn't get served for over an hour, my food was terrible. However, they didn't charge us. It took a couple hours to get to sleep, but then I slept well for about 4 hours. We packed everything the night before, and then slept in an hour. Drank a can of Slim Fast, and then tried to eat oatmeal a couple hours later, with no luck.
Event warmup:

Had lots of time to get set up. Felt relaxed and excited about my first, long race. Stretched, said prayers, sang songs in my head, relaxed. Ate a gel, swam for awhile for warmup. The sun was wicked off the lake.
Swim
  • 59m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

I took a starting place clear off to the right side, so I could make a straight line to the turn buoy. Lots of space. Shouldn't have had any problems, but my heart rate went too high and I had to work to get it down. This is my first year, and I'm the world's slowest swimmer (well, not quite, there were a few people who finished after me). I practiced drafting off another, incredibly slow swimmer. I couldn't believe how looong the swim was. I must tend to pull to the left, because the kayakers kept chasing me back on course. I tried breast stroking and gliding in a straight line. I floated on my back to rest. I screamed in jubilation when I reached the final (looong) home stretch. I did a victory dance in the transition area, and yelled "I get to do the bike, I get to do the bike!"
What would you do differently?:

Umm, well, even though I've swam three times a week, I still need to work on my stroke. After all, it is just my first year . . . overall, I was pretty happy with my time, knowing what I'm capable of (or not).
Transition 1
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

What's a few minutes out of an 8 hour race? I sat down and took my time getting ready for the bike. Made sure I had all my stuff. Forgot to hit the split button on my watch until a couple minutes out of transition. I had placed/attached everything to my bike, so if I was pushing the cutoff, I could just roll it down the road and get ready on the way. Because I swam OK (for me), I had lots of time.

Well, next year I might actually try to be quicker in transition . . .
Bike
  • 3h 49m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.62 mile/hr
Comments:

What a beautiful course!! I think I confused the volunteers when I stopped at the water bottle handoffs, and walked around. The sag wagon lady and I got to know each other by first name, and it soon became evident that I was probably the last person on the course. First 35 miles weren't too bad - I like to sing, and I was in great spirits. Although, at one point, I came to the top of a rise and saw the giant hill (again, in my opinion) ahead, and cried out, "Noooooo!!" I was way out of my league in the gear changing department. After 35 miles, the buzzards were circling me over head, as well as the sag wagon lady and the cops. I asked myself, "Why am I going so slow (8mph)?" I thought I might not make it, and I didn't even care. I ate several gels, mini-oreos, cheesie crackers, and lots of Accelerade, water and Endurolytes. Eventually, my spirits and energy lifted, and I made it to the end through all the runners ("Coming up on your left on the bike!") I passed all my friends running, and they were on their last six miles!

More miles in the saddle this year. Single biggest problem: I did the race without enough base on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

It was just me and one other person in transition. I asked every official I could see, "Do I get to do the run?" because I was afraid I hadn't made the bike cutoff. And they said, "Sure, you do!"

Maybe try the take-the-shoes-off-on-the-bike thing. I've practiced it, and it might work better than trying to run in my awkward bike shoes.
Run
  • 2h 45m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't know if I could even begin to run 13 miles after that looong bike ride. But it worked out the way I had thought ahead of time - once I'd finished the bike, it was just one, great big 13 mile victory lap!!! I'm a terrible runner (my worst event). And now I was starving to death. I took my fanny pack, and ate gels, bananas, pretzels, coke, Accelerade, anything that wasn't nailed down. My coach had said, "Don't miss an aid station," so I didn't. I decided to run the flats and downhills, and walk uphill. The last 3 miles, a woman I had just met caught up with me, and she was having some cramps/heart rate problems. So I told her my run/walk strategy, and we finished up together. For those of you who know the course, the finish line is up a short, but very steep hill. How cruel!! But I was ready for it, and nothing could diminish that proud moment!

More running, more base, maybe some speedwork?!
Post race
Warm down:

Actually, I felt great. Friends asked if I needed to go to the medical tent, but nothing hurt and I felt stable. I sat down pretty quickly, ate some potato chips and drank some water. The chicken sandwiches didn't look too good, not because my stomach hurt, but because I was so full of gel and fruit! I should have stretched a little more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I decided relatively late in the year to go ahead and "just do it," and didn't have enough base in on any of the events before going into the formal training plan.

Event comments:

I was making plans for next year, not five minutes after my finish!! What a great experience, although about an hour and a half on the bike was sheer misery. And I've never been so dirty in all my life, since I was a kid - snot, gel, oreos, sweat, dirt, bike grease, squished bananas!

Last updated: 2007-10-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:59:11 | 2112 yards | 02m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/105
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Velocity John suit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:49:49 | 56 miles | 14.62 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:45:09 | 13.1 miles | 12m 37s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Rolling hills through a beautiful park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1.5%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-05 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
South Carolina
Subject: South Carolina Half

2007-10-05 2:42 PM
in reply to: #993773

Subject: RE: South Carolina Half
I loved your race report. The part about being so dirty really hit home. Very funny. You showed a ton of courage to do this event and keep such a good attitude.
2007-10-05 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Great accomplishment!  Congrats on your first 1/2 IM.  In your first year even.  Good job and thanks for the race report
2007-10-05 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Great RR and a Great Job too!!

So I guess there is something to those "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express" commercials.

I totally LOL at the end of your RR (...snot, gel, oreos, sweat,...).  Thanks.

2007-10-05 9:30 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Awesome race report!  I felt like I was there again!  You stayed positive the entire race and your attitude was great!  You should be very proud of yourself!!  Good luck next season!
2007-10-06 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
You must feel really proud to have done such a great job! You did it! I hope to be there next year as well. Hope to see you there!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carolina Half Rss Feed