General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High Gluten - Low Fat/Carb Food Suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-05 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: High Gluten - Low Fat/Carb Food Suggestions
I know there's a few people with celiac disease here on the board and was looking for some advice (though the reverse of you might be used to giving).

Had my follow up appointment with my GI today and my blood tests were borderline for having a gluten allergy. I have to go back in a few weeks to have an endoscopy, but I'd already pretty much eliminated gluten from my diet since I was already watching carbs and I'm not big bread/pasta eater anyway.

The doc wants me to go back on gluten so the test will have something to show. Any suggestions on things that are high in gluten, but still keep me on track with weight loss?

2007-10-05 8:14 PM
in reply to: #994370

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
Subject: RE: High Gluten - Low Fat/Carb Food Suggestions
A big plate of pasta with a side of white bread J/K Try oatmeal, it has the gluten, but is still relatively OK, as it doesn't have the yeast and sugar that breads do.
2007-10-08 4:31 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Beer!

Edit: I would be interested in learning about the "borderline" thing. I was always told you either have Celiac or you do not. I was diagnosed as a baby, but find that I can "cheat" like crazy as an adult. It's almost like I don't have it anymore, but they say it's not possible. Any info on the "borderline" results?

Edited by lisac957 2007-10-08 4:32 PM
2007-10-08 5:38 PM
in reply to: #997315

User image

Extreme Veteran
lisac957 - 2007-10-08 4:31 PM

Beer!

Edit: I would be interested in learning about the "borderline" thing. I was always told you either have Celiac or you do not. I was diagnosed as a baby, but find that I can "cheat" like crazy as an adult. It's almost like I don't have it anymore, but they say it's not possible. Any info on the "borderline" results?

I did take in some beer based gluten at Arrowhead yesterday. Between the way the Chiefs played and the rain, I could have used more. (Fellow Kansan from Olathe here)

I wish I could recount all the specific tests/readings. One that sticks out was the SGPT liver test, normal range is up to 45, mine was 46. The gist I got was that the other tests in the battery were similar, just over normal ranges, need to do the biopsy to confirm, need to have some gluten for the biopsy to show anything.

The borderline test results might have been because I'd already cut way down on carbs a few weeks before the blood draw and my digestive system hadn't been getting much gluten to react to. I also never really showed many Celiac symptoms before I cut down. If my mom hadn't already been diagnosed, I'd have never thought to be tested myself.

The most noticable change was that I've had almost zero heartburn during the time I was off gluten. I'd always attributed the heartburn (nothing too serious) to my preference for crazy hot foods like Thai and wings, but wondering if it was the celiac instead.
2007-10-08 7:57 PM

How about some bran cereal, whole wheat bread or a lowfat bran muffin? It's hard to think of ideas when you've been off wheat for so long, so I apologize if these don't help.

I was already off gluten when they ordered the antibody test for me and was told to eat up, and I ate "normally" for a few days before, was dead sick, and test came back negative. The doc wasn't sure if I hadn't introduced enough to produce enough antibodies or not, but decided not to test further. GOOD LUCK!!!
2007-10-09 2:24 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I can help with what has gluten or not in a lot of cases but not levels of gluten.  Sorry.

Lisa - I still don't even understand it all but there is a difference between having a food allergy to gluten and Celiac disease with is an autoimmune deficiency.    Maybe the inconsistencies you've experienced between what you've been told and what happens to you are due to that. 

Wingsfan - they told us the same thing, to keep out daughter on a gluten filled diet while waiting for her endoscopy after the blood test came back positive.  It was very hard to feed her food we knew was hurting her especially when she'd get a stomache ache.  Not fun.  Good luck with the test, I hope it is negative. 

2007-10-09 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
NC
Anything with any level of gluten should cause a reaction if there is going to be one. The obvious choices are bread and pasta. Oats themselves do not have gluten that would affect a celiac but they are often grown in fields with wheat and processed on the same equipment so there is a high chance of cross contamination. As to your upcoming endoscopy, everyone is different when it comes to the damage to the villi in the intestine. Some celiacs would get noticeable damage after only a few meals containing gluten while others may not get damage for several months. Since it is a few weeks until your endoscopy you should probably dig in now. Or, if that makes you feel sick just go for the gluten-free diet.

Celiac.com is an excellent source of info on celiac, gluten sensitivity, and gluten intolerance. Glutenfreeforum.com, a site associated with celiac.com, is a great forum where you can bounce questions off others or search for info. A lot like BT.

There are a couple books by Danna Korn that may be helpful also.

Good luck with your situation.

My daughter is a celiac and I went on a gluten-free diet after some questionable blood tests but negative endoscopies.
2007-10-10 4:26 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Is it possible the "borderline" thing is a gluten intolerance vs. celiac disease?  My celiac tests all came out negative (high negatives, but negative) but I popped positive on RAST for a gluten allergy.  Doc thinks it could be an intolerance (kinda like lactose intolerance).

Anyway...almost everything has gluten in it...eat away at processed things and anything with flour!

2007-10-25 6:09 PM
in reply to: #999218

User image

Veteran
Waukesha, WI
freer - 2007-10-09 3:12 PM

Anything with any level of gluten should cause a reaction if there is going to be one. The obvious choices are bread and pasta. Oats themselves do not have gluten that would affect a celiac but they are often grown in fields with wheat and processed on the same equipment so there is a high chance of cross contamination. As to your upcoming endoscopy, everyone is different when it comes to the damage to the villi in the intestine. Some celiacs would get noticeable damage after only a few meals containing gluten while others may not get damage for several months. Since it is a few weeks until your endoscopy you should probably dig in now. Or, if that makes you feel sick just go for the gluten-free diet.

Celiac.com is an excellent source of info on celiac, gluten sensitivity, and gluten intolerance. Glutenfreeforum.com, a site associated with celiac.com, is a great forum where you can bounce questions off others or search for info. A lot like BT.

There are a couple books by Danna Korn that may be helpful also.

Good luck with your situation.

My daughter is a celiac and I went on a gluten-free diet after some questionable blood tests but negative endoscopies.

Excellent post.

OPer, don't be surprised if your endoscopy comes back negative. Unfortunately, a neg endoscopy does not mean you don't have Celiac disease, it only means your villi aren't damaged enough to show up yet. Your biggest indicator is how you feel on a gluten-free diet. Pay attention to all symptoms--heartburn, fatigue, back pain, itchy rashes, etc. etc. as Celiac disease manifests in many many ways.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High Gluten - Low Fat/Carb Food Suggestions Rss Feed