Friends of Lapham Peak Park
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 6s
Overall Rank = 64/179
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/23
Pre-race routine:

This race had a 10am start, which was a refreshing change from the break-of-dawn starts of triathlons. Unfortunately, it also meant we would be battling the sun and heat all the more. Who would have thought it would be 85 and sunny in October in Wisconsin? And the humidity actually made it feel even hotter. I stepped outside at 7:30 am this morning and it already felt like stepping into a warm shower. Crazy.
Event warmup:

My warm-up consisted of meeting up with my friend Tony, his boss, and another woman from our subdivision, Laura. I did absolutely nothing. I knew from looking at the terrain right at the start line this was going to be a brutal run so I decided to save every last ounce of energy.
Run
  • 58m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow. Before the race, I'd heard several people say this was the hardest 10K course they'd ever done. Well, if there are harder ones, I don't want to do them. This was brutally hilly and the soft, wet trail seemed to make it even harder. It was was a really nice wide trail and the surrounding countryside was beautiful but the hills were simply relentless.

About 2K in, you hit a climb and just seemed to keep climbing, just in various different grades. At about the halfway mark, the course became more undulating-- STEEP ups and downs, both hurting about equally. By this time, I was employing a strategy of walking the really steep ones so I wouldn't blow up my heartrate. I had kind of anticipated this course being challenging so I went out conservatively-- man, am I glad I did. Other runners were blowing up all over the place.

One thing I'm proud of is that I really passed a lot of folks on the hills and I only remember getting passed by about 3 or 4 runners after the halfway mark. I gave away a lot of time at the very beginning because I got boxed in by much slower runners. But honestly, at this point in the season, I was just doing this run for the heck of it anyway and I wasn't hell bent to set a PR or anything. I just wanted to what trail running was like.

All in all, it was a very fun time and I'll be better prepared to do it next year.
What would you do differently?:

Probably seed myself more toward the front of the pack at the start so I don't get boxed in. There were a LOT of runners trying to funnel into a path only about 20 feet across.
Post race
Warm down:

I stopped, had some Gatorade, then walked back onto the course to cheer on Tony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact I had never done a trail run before , my unfamiliarity with this course and terrain, and the heat.

Event comments:

This was a really nice race througha beautiful park at the peak of the Fall colors. I could have done without the heat, but there was nothing they could do about that. Great event.

Last updated: 2007-10-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:58:06 | 06.21 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/179
Performance: Good
Course: This course was a brutally hilly trail run through Lapham Peak State Park. I heard several people before the race saying this is the hardest 10k course they'd ever done.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-06 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Colorama 10K at Lapham Peak

2007-10-06 9:07 PM
in reply to: #994826

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Colorama 10K at Lapham Peak
Great job! Way to battle the elements and the hills. Just look at my log from last Sunday morning detailing a run that was partially through Lapham peak. One of the tougest runs I've done. Your pace is great considering the terrain and the heat and humidity.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colorama 10K at Lapham Peak Rss Feed