General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Napa, California
United States
EnviroSports
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Eh... got there, nearly froze to death in the cold wind, set up my transition area, pulled on my wet suit, chit-chatted, hobbled down the the water. The water was warmer than the air/pavement, so it was a relief to get in, actually.
Event warmup:

Just swam a few yards and back to get wet and make sure my wetsuit was on straight-enough.
Swim
  • 15m 23s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

OMG. I hate the self-seeded wave starts. I was completely surrounded by people the entire time. Either I was passing people from my own wave, passing people from earlier waves, or being passed by faster people. It sucked. And sooooo many women were doing breast stroke or backstroke. I even saw at least one woman doing sidestroke. Oy.

The kayakers would let me go wide at one point, so I was stuck in the fray. It wasn't that I was any faster than the people swimming around me, it was that they weren't swimming straight, so I kept getting trapped by them.

Otherwise, I felt strong and felt like I was keeping a straight-enough line.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front, just so the fast people could pass me, but I wouldn't get stuck behind the panicky people doing breaststroke. No, I don't want to get kicked in the face again, thanks.
Transition 1
  • 10m 14s
Comments:

OK, it took me a whole minute to walk up the ramp from the lake to the transition area. The pavement was really rough with lots of little rocks and bits of glass, so it was slow going. And I didn't feel like I could run, so I just walked.

In transition, we were set up in sharp gravel, so getting out of my wetsuit was extra hard, since to stand one-footed really hurt. I had to take my time getting out because there was nothing to hold on to while trying not to stand on the rocks. Grrr.

Um... wear slippers down to the start and take the extra 10 seconds to find them and put them on before running up.

Also, have a second towel or two to stand on while changing.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 37s
  • 15 miles
  • 13.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't prepared for how hilly this course was. And the hills weren't rollers... they were real hills. UP, then DOWN. Very little flat. So either I was pushing hard going up, or coasting down. Overheating, or cramping up.

I suppose I could have pushed a bit harder on the downhills, but I was holding a pretty decent effort level for the uphills.
Transition 2
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

I had a pretty good T2, except that I needed to sit down to put on my shoes. But it was so rocky and hard to stand one-footed.

Wear my tie-less laces so I could just slip my shoes on.
Run
  • 50m 3s
  • 4 miles
  • 12m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good on the run. My goal was to not push, and try to stay in Z2/3, which I managed for most of the time.

I'm actually quite happy with my pace on the run, and feel like it was the best leg of this race.

RACE... I could have probably dredged up some energy to push harder on the run. That would have made things interesting.
Post race
Warm down:

We walked around and waited for Shellee. Had some snacks and picked up our t-shirts.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A combination of not knowing the course and not wanting push hard.

Event comments:

This is a fun race, and I'd do it again if it worked with my schedule.

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:23 | 880 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Um... I believe this swim course was much shorted than 1/2 mile. Seriously. I haven't been training enough to be *that* fast. I was expecting to come in around 22 minutes or so.
Suit: Same old, same old.
Course: A rectangle of orange buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:14
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:37 | 15 miles | 13.51 mile/hr
Performance: Average
out: 36:13 - 165 avg HR back: 30:24 - 163 avg HR
Wind: Little
Course: out and back along the lake... lots of hills. Not rollers, HILLS. Overall, the course felt like it was more up going out and down coming back. Hence, the negative split.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:03 | 04 miles | 12m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Good
out - 25:26 - 168 avg HR back - 24:47 - 164 avg HR
Course: Out and back along the same road as the bike course. Still pretty hilly. Still felt like it was more up on the way out and down on the way back. But not as dramatically so as the bike course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-06 5:59 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri) Rss Feed