United States
Set-Up Inc.
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 43s
Overall Rank = 409/536
Age Group = Fenale 30-34
Age Group Rank = 25/46
Pre-race routine:

Pre-pre-race: My last workout was Wednesday evening and it was a 15 minute run followed by spinning class. I actually crapped out at spinning class, and I realized later it's because I'd eaten nothing but fiber and a little protein for the previous 48 hours. Almost no carbs. I went straight home and ate a wole box of mac n' cheese that night and a couple slices of pizza on Thursday night! Friday night I ate pizza again and a slice of carrot cake from Harris Teeter. Between Thursday and Friday I ate an entire bag of candy corn. NONE of these foods are in my normal diet, and I started to get a bellyache from all the junk, so I was concerned how I would fare on Saturday morning. I tossed and turned all night; all that sugar gave me night sweats.
Event warmup:

Pre-race: Saturday morning, breakfast of sprouted grain toast with organic peanut butter and banana, one travel mug of coffee and lots of water. Parking, packet pickup, chip pickup, and body marking were a breeze. Got an end spot in transition... my race number was exactly the same as it was at Smallwood. Finally, I forced down a gel one hour before start. The race was declared wetsuit legal, so of course I spent about 5 minutes pulling it on!
Swim
  • 17m 31s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a GREAT swim today, I was relaxed and in a great rhythm the entire course. The overcast sky helped with sighting (no glare), and I didn't encounter a single unidentified object or weed at any point! The water was very clean and peaceful.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

uneventful, popped an endurolyte
Bike
  • 45m 42s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.26 km/hr
Comments:

I actually passed several people on road bikes this race. My leggies must be getting more powerful. I still wouldn't call this bike course "flat" as described... but maybe there's no such thing as "flat" in Virginia and everything's relative, right? Maybe this was was "flat for Virginia." I had half a gel and drank Clif drink mix during the ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Banged my knee on the dismount because someone got in my way. It hurt so much, but funny how I had already forgotten about the pain by the time I got to my rack. I do have a big ole scrape there now. The rest was typical. Oh, and popped another endurolyte here.
Run
  • 32m 42s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 32s  min/km
Comments:

My least painful run off the bike so far! I pulled something in my left lower back at some point during the race and felt it pull every time my left foot hit the pavement. I had some of the usual stiffness, but it was very intermittent, and by the time I was in the last half mile home stretch, I was running with huge strides and no pain at all... coulda been endorphins, though. Awesome crossing at the finish line, the announcer got it right this time and craploads of strangers were yelling out my bib number!
Post race
Warm down:

Again, I did not know anyone at the finish line, and there was absolutely no good post-race food. There were some people there charging for food too (wha?!), so I grabbed a water and cleared out of transition as quickly as possible. Back at the car, I changed under a towel in my front seat then hit the road to Fredericksburg. An hour later I was in my old college town, having lunch at my favorite place, Sammy T's.

Last updated: 2007-10-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:31 | 750 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/46
Overall: 0/536
Performance:
Suit: farmer john
Course: in on one side of pier, around several buoys and out on other side of pier
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:42 | 20 kms | 26.26 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: flat "for Virginia" - there were a couple little hills
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:42 | 05 kms | 06m 32s  min/km
Performance:
Course: mostly flat
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-06 7:26 PM

New user

NoVA
Subject: Giant Acorn

2007-10-07 9:44 AM
in reply to: #994954

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: Giant Acorn
Nice job.  They were charging people that didn't have a race number for food.
2007-10-07 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Luray, Virginia
Orange slices aren't good enough for ya!?
2007-10-07 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Nice race, sounds like a fun one. Sprouted grain toast is da bomb.
2007-10-07 12:00 PM

Yeah, I think that bike course was about as "flat" as you get in this state, but I liked it and I SUCK at hills. "Gently rolling" was definitely the right term for this one - which is what they had initially billed Luray at, which it was definitely NOT (steep, hilly descents of death!)

I didn't know they were charging for food - my friend who came with me scored a hot dog for free. But there were oreos...and that was good
2007-10-07 5:50 PM

User image

Veteran

If you come down to the SE corner of the state, you'll find the flat part. The course def. wasn't "flat"!  I think I saw you out there, I noticed your knee, yeesh!  Good job on running through it!

2007-10-08 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Good job! And compared to where I ride, that was "flat." It's all relative...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Giant Acorn Rss Feed