Buttar
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Ate half a bagel, got to race early, so actually got to set-up...
Event warmup:

Walk to the water...it was a weird morning...there were about a million of these crazy bugs with two antenaee on their backs, they were everywhere...oh, I also swung my arms around a bit - I hadn't gone swimming in 2 weeks!!
Swim
  • 14m
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm confused as to how in the world I did this, I have gone swimming about 4 times in the last month, my foot has been hurt for about 2 months, and I'm swimming better than ever before?!?! Umm, that isn't supposed to happen that way...this was my best swim of the 3 I've done at Moss Park...
But, I was FINALLY able to kick, and I kicked, and kicked!!
I didn't do very well for the first part, went out to the second buoy in a bit of a round about way, but the way back to the shore was perfect, I had this lady on my right who was swimming really well, so I just spotted her every time I breathed, and I didn't have to look up...she was also a bit faster than me which helped me go a bit faster...
What would you do differently?:

The water was disgusting, it has been raining for the last few weeks, and there was also a current, so I swallowed WAY too much water...my throat still feels funky from it...but hey, I guess it made me more buoyant?!?
Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

It is a very long run to transition, but I ran the whole way, picked some bugs out of my shoes, got everything on, and I was off...

it was good enough for me...
Maybe make the transition closer to the water - but that isn't going to happen:)
Bike
  • 40m 46s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I hadn't been above 18mph this whole year, so that was my goal...this was my first flat race in a very long time...I was feeling really bad at first, had never had such bad cramps at the beginning of the bike before, and was freaking out, cause I knew that I still had to run...it got better after about 3 miles...and I also found a guy who passed me, and I tried not to let him get too far ahead...I didn't draft or anything, but made sure that I could see him at all times...for about 4 miles, I tried to get in front of him, finally passed him at about the 9 mile mark...at about 11 miles, he passed me again for good...but that helped me a lot...

Ignore the cramps at the beginning more than I did, it was from swallowing too much pond scum, and I shouldn't have let it freak me out so much, but I'm really pleased with the rest of it...
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I took my time, because I knew the run was next and I was trying to mentally prepare for it...but it still wasn't too bad, my yanks really help:)

nothing, I needed to take the amount of time that I took...its all good!
Run
  • 29m 9s
  • 2.75 miles
  • 10m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I let myself run as slow as I needed to, I didn't care about that, I just wanted to run the whole thing...I NEEDED to run the whole thing...and I did - yeah me!! I didn't take any water, practically hyperventalated because I was overthinking my breathing, but I ran...I'm so happy about that...

Ideally, I would like to run a LOT faster than THAT...next time (have another race in Moss Park in 3 weeks)...
Post race
Warm down:

Breath, and drink water...Matt was excited cause results said he got 3rd overall, but turns out the actual 2nd place guys transponder didn't work, so Matt actually got 4th overall - which was 1st in age group, poor guy was so disappointed when the awards were given out - and confused...but he got happy when we saw the actual results cause he got over 25mph avg. for the first time on the bike, and was first overall on the bike...

Oh, and I got 1st place in my age group - of 2...but hey, it was cool to actually get something:)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Psyching myself out for the run...

Event comments:

THis is my favorite course, I really enjoy it, except for the gross water...looking forward to doing it again in 3 weeks:)

Last updated: 2007-10-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:00 | 820 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR top and Desoto shorts
Course: Triangle course, out to buoy, over to other buoy, back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:49
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:46 | 12.43 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: All kinds of crazy turns into and out of neighborhoods...
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:09 | 02.75 miles | 10m 36s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: figure 8 in the woods, dirt trail, with some water from all the rain in the last few days
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?