United States
Maryland Coastal Bays Program
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 58s
Overall Rank = 207/360
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 16/26
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am, drove 2 1/2 hours to race. Eat bagel, 2 bananas and coffee. Was not thinking about food and ended up racing on empty, no food for 4 1/2 hours before start. Felt stomach growl at T1. Nothing special just kept moving, talked to Wyecrab, Crabsrule, Tink, LCsoultions, and others from our Annapolis Tri club.
Event warmup:

Put on wetsuit and streched. Oh and walked 1/4 mile to beach start.
Swim
  • 16m
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got caught up in the group at the start, Tryed to get far left but our wave kept moving that way and I still ended up inside. Hypervent a bit with the turmoil but under control no panic. Glad I spend so much time OWS. Once around the bouy got into a rythum but it was broken when I came across slower swimmers. (can not believe anyone slower)
What would you do differently?:

Position differnatly and learn to swim in a group. I am a poor swimmer at best so I just need to improve my swimming.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was averaged it in with our swim time so I don't have breakdown. I took my time to put on socks and bike shoes before leaving.

Have bike shoes open and ready to put on, rookie mistake.
Bike
  • 47m 14s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Should be my strength and it was. Got pasted by less then 12 all making a funny swoshing sound. Those discs wheels make a unique sound. I was able to pass lots of folks but only one wave in front of mine so the road was fairly open. Didn't stay as aero as I should. Needed to drink more. Will look into one of those aero bottles.

stay more aero, may look into those disc wheels or tri bike
Mostly very happy with this leg didn't go 100% but could next year
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Could break out my T2 time due to bike computer.

Nothing this went very smooth for me
Run
  • 33m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The fog burned off near the end of the bike. Got very hot / humid I blewup here due to poor planning. I had nothing in the fuel tank to run on. Not sure how I let this happen except I didnt' eat anything after leaving the house at 4:20 so almost 5 hours no food. Will get a cliff bar or something 1/2 hour before race next time. Thankful Wyecrab showed me to tape a GU pack to the bike frame cause I was hurtin.

EAT before the race. Suggested by Navy Tri to eat Jelly Belly Sports Beans right before the Naright before the swim.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and cheered the other finishers. Then walked w/ Eric abck up the swim start to fetch our shoes. Packed the car up and headed over to see the results when I got stung by a bee near the trash cans. Well being allergic meant I was leaving and needed to find Benedrye right away. Got it in Snow Hill but the swelling was already at half s softball. Took some time for the medicine to kick in. So opted to head for home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Eating and running more. May have to look at some running events. The most frustraing was I was cramping and having to walk.

Event comments:

I enjoyed my first Triathlon very much. Last year I was blown off by the NE storm. This spring I crashed the Mt Bike and broke ribs before Pocomoke. So on my third tri I am now a Triathlete. Looking forward to getting better and going longer next year.
Actually several people I talked to said the sprint is tough due to the short all-out effort you need to give it. Funny comment from a Navy Tri-Girl she asked about the pacing for a sprint. She got 'If you are pacing ina sprint you are losing, this from one of the Navy men.

Last updated: 2007-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:00 | 880 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 244/360
Performance: Below average
Suit: Promotion sleeveless
Course: beach start out 150yd hang right straight to finish at the end of the dock up steps and long run to T1
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:14 | 15.2 miles | 19.31 mile/hr
Overall: 138/360
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat very fast only 7 turns, volunteers there to warn of gravel in the turn was awesome.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:31 | 03.1 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 273/360
Performance: Below average
According to Patrick's garmin the course measured 3.23 miles
Course: Flat out and back
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-07 5:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Subject: Osprey Sprint Triathlon

2007-10-07 8:18 AM
in reply to: #995127

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Osprey Sprint Triathlon
Awesome to see you had fun. That will keep you coming back.
The first one is a learning experience, what to pack, what to eat, how to set up transition, etc.
For a first race, most would love to have your swim. The first start is the hardest. OWS helps, but there is no simulation to the start of the swim, pacing goes out the window.
It was really hot and humid, especially for this time of year, we have all fallen prey to that.
Gels, Cliff Shot Blocks, even HED, try different things to get a few calories in during the race.
A Bento Box or something like that on the bike is pretty handy for throwing some stuff to take with you on the bike. The aerodrink is also a worthy investment. Makes a pretty big difference.
The run, well, that shows up some days and not others. I know the feeling...
If you survived the first, and liked it, you are hooked. Welcome to the club.
2007-10-08 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Congrats on the race, Skip! Sounds like you enjoyed the experience and you did quite well, especially the bike split.  Very nice to meet you. Hope we get to cross paths at future races! Way to go!!!
2007-10-10 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Congratulations on your first tri!  Third time's a charm. 

You met the best and most supportive BTers around (Wyecrab, Crabsrule, Tink, LCsolutions).  Brenda took me on my first bike ride of the Iron Girl course before our race, which made all the difference for me.     

Welcome to BT!

Laurie

2007-10-10 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Way to go Triathlete!

Good job.  I normally take a gel some where around 5-10 minutes before the race and 1/2 way on the bike.  I don't take anything else on a sprint.

There is a pace you have to follow, just so you can complete the race. 

2007-10-10 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
What an AWESOME first race!!!  You did great!!!  Don't forget the swim time for this race is a combo of the swim and T1,  so you had a good time!!!  Speedy bike split, and considering how dang hot it was for the run, you had a good pace.  The first race is a learning experience.  So, it official now, you are a triathlete!!!  Hope to get to see you at more races next year. 

2007-10-17 2:15 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
great job on your first race!  sounds like you learned a lot and are going to carry that info with you for future races.  congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Osprey Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed