Tri and Du It Multisport
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 56s
Overall Rank = 36/193
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30am, packed the car. Had a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread with a banana and GU20. Drove about an hour to the race site. Got transition set up and body marked.
Event warmup:

Very short jog, my legs were pretty tight from yesterday's half mary. Got a little bit of swim warmup in before my wave start.
Swim
  • 23m 33s
  • 1200 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got out with the front of the group. My wave consisted of men and women 20 - 29. I felt strong and got in some good drafts. The current pushed me off a little but I was able to get back on course quickly. The swells were interesting and were moving me much more than I thought they would. My arm caught a few waves which basically stopped my stroke. I also got some waves in the face when I was trying to take a breath.
What would you do differently?:

More swim practice. I need to practice open water swimming more and add speed sets to my training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Decent T1. Got my suit off a little quicker than usual and didnt have the usual issue of getting is stuck on my heels/chip. Got the glasses and helmet on easy and was into the shoes no problem. Has a little issue getting clipped in but it didn't take too much time.

Practice!!
Bike
  • 54m 30s
  • 18.02 miles
  • 19.84 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the smartest bike ride I've had all season. I stayed in the small chainring basically the whole way repeating to myself "Just keep spinning, just keep spinning!"(thanks Bob Stocks!!) I stayed seated on all the climbs and went by all the guys on the expensive tri bikes at they were standing up grinding their gears.

I rode a standard rode bike setup for the race today and was able to get low and compact on the long downhills. I used the downhills for recovery, I knew I'd need it for the run. I was about 5 minutes down from the AG leader out of T1 but got him about halfway through the first loop. I went by seated and strong and heard him get up out of the saddle and start to crank. I told myself that I couldn't let him go by me, simply because I didn't know how my legs would through the hilly 17 miles. At the turn around I caught a glimpse of the 2nd pace AG'er and I got the look of death, it looked like he was hunting me down!

More T.I.T.S I've got to commit to more riding this winter, logging hours on the trainer and working on technique.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Came to the dismount line quickly and I dont think the volunteers (a local swim team) had any idea I was jumping off and running with it! I came up on some on fast and had to yell "on your left" so I wouldnt run him over.

The usual...be quicker and smoother.
Run
  • 19m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I was worried about the run. I had no idea how my legs would react, but thankfully they were there and strong. I got out of transition and ran scared thinking I couldn't possibly be too far ahead of the competition.

I just told myself to run like I know I can, and used the usual mantra "no one passes you on the run". I ran hard and scared for 3 miles. I passed a good amount of people saying something positive to each of them. I passed a kid with "19" on his leg, as I went by he picked it up, but I dropped him a bit, apparently he took 2nd in 20-24...weird.

Not run a half mary the day before.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a lot and got some fluids. I cheered on competitors and friends. Saw Tim (1st Timer in NY) head out on the run, yelled at him that he looked strong, because he did. One of my teammates had a flat (on her birthday!!!) during the bike ride, she told me to keep going because she was fine and had help from other teammates.

Her two other teammates came in late off the bike but wouldn't stop, then went out and finished the two loop run. As they were out on the 2nd loop the aid stations got packed up. I got some gatorade and worked an aid station for them.

Hung out with friends, got some free breakfast and even won a can of Accelerade! Collected my rewards for winning, a great medal and a bottle of Cycles Gladiator Merlot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Yesterday's hlaf mary probably didnt help. I also hit a mental and physical wall late in the season. I'm not sure I could add another race to my schedule this year, I'm mentally spent.

Event comments:

For the inaugural race, a few bugs yet to be worked out, but overall a great race. I'd probably do this race again next year.

Last updated: 2007-10-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:33 | 1200 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 0/193
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultrafull
Course: Triangular course, only two turns. Swells were bigger than expected, swam perpendicular to the current on the way out, into the current on the back stretch and perpendicular to the current on the way in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:30 | 18.02 miles | 19.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/6
Wind: Little
Course: Two loop course with a couple good hills. Some sketchy turns do to speed and traffic. I had a teammate crash on one of the turns =(
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:16 | 03.11 miles | 06m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Course: Two loop flat course, majority of it on a walking path through a small park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-07 4:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Subject: Cedar Beach Sprint Triathlon

2007-10-07 8:06 PM
in reply to: #995514

New user

Subject: RE: Cedar Beach Sprint Triathlon
Thanks man! With the exception of feeling like I was going to die in the water, I had an awesome day. Definately not used to OWS. Anyway, it was an amazing experience, met a lot of great and supportive people, and I'm hooked! I appreciate the comments, and I must say, I do like this website.
2007-10-08 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

Matt:

Another Great Race! Congrats on the 1st Place AG..pretty sweet Medal! You had a great weekend..1st in AG in Half Mary on Sat and 1st in AG in Tri on Sunday! Thanks for the encouragement! You rock man!

2007-10-08 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Jeez Matt nice weekend ! I need some of your endurance.

Great Job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedar Beach Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed