Hudson Mohawk Road Runners
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 30m
Overall Rank = 70/492
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/42
Pre-race routine:

Bagel with peanut butter, banana, 1 GU, multiple visits to the restroom/woods, stretching, kiss from Marna.
Event warmup:

Stretching.
Run
  • 3h 19m 55s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Weather was perfect. Very humid on Saturday, rained Saturday night and cooled everything down.

Started off great. Ran through my neighborhood between mile 2 and 3 and saw Marna and her parents cheering wildly. Hit mile 5 at 34 mins flat and felt great. Running in a pack, actually leading a pack of four with 2nd place woman finisher. Hit mile 8 and saw Marna and her parents again cheering wildly. Hit mile 10 and took a bathroom break at which the pack took off, I was at 1:07. Hit Mile 13.2 at 1:30 feeling good with a rhythym. Hit mile 14.5 and saw Marna and parents cheering wildly.

Then at exactly mile 18, 3/4 of the way down the second steep decline in Cohoes, a striking pain hit my R abdominal area so much that I pulled up. I experienced this cramp a couple times during long runs and usually walked it off in 10-15 secs. However, at approx. 4 mins of walking it was still shooting to my side. Tried to run, but it just got worse. Then a "volunteer" said "today is just not your day" as my face couldn't hide the pain as I walked through an intersection. Whatever it was, whether the walking helped or my anger was now transfixed on the "volunteer," the pain went away and I took off again.

However, couldn't get back into a rhythm from then on and ran approx. 1.5 miles and walked 30 seconds until the end. Realized around mile 22 that I was going to miss BQ so I put on a smile and ran from mile 24.5 on, happy and satisfied that I ran the race of my life and Marna and her parents were there to cheer me on throughout. Couldn't have done as well without them!!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm hugs from Marna and 64 oz of GU20

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Right abdominal crap & not enough water after mile 18.

Event comments:

Nothing worth writing after hearing about Chicago.

Last updated: 2007-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
03:19:55 | 26.2 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/42
Overall: 70/492
Performance: Good
Course: Start from Central Park in Schenectady through Niskayuna to Mohawk Bike Path to Colonie Bike Path through Cohoes/Maplewood/Watervliet to Corning Preserve.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-08 12:02 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY
Subject: The Mohawk Hudson River Marathon

2007-10-08 12:16 PM
in reply to: #996624

User image

Regular
West Hartford
Subject: RE: The Mohawk Hudson River Marathon
Well done Pearlsky... with that pace you may want to recover for a few weeks and give it another stab in November or December... you could always run Philly. I'd bet with a little cooler weather and a little better hydration you will BQ easily... let alone all the other craziness that has been goin on in your life.
2007-10-08 12:22 PM

Shout out for the Capital Region (I'm from Clifton Park). You guys were lucky that you didn't get the usual Columbus Day weekend weather - cold and rainy I should come home and do races next year...
2007-10-08 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Awesome race Earl....a sub 3:20 with 5min of walking and some sorta killer side-stitch. I agree with Taco...take a cpl weeks to recover and run another marathon this fall if you feel the urge to BQ. Congrats again.
2007-10-09 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Reston
WOO HOO! Kick race, Earl!!!
To knock an hour off your marathon time is SO impressive!!!
You should be very proud of yourself and your time!! You put in the training and it paid off!
And I'm sure it was great to have Marna and her parents as your cheering section.
Enjoy your rest and recovery!
2007-10-10 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
amazing run pearl. 6:49/mile pace for the first half is incredible!
you've got some great natural ability, but you've also worked your a$$ off and it paid off. i know you were shooting for 9 minutes faster, but you have nothing to be disappointed about. great race.

enjoy some rest.... unless you want to join us

2007-10-10 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Great and impressive race, Earl. Tough break about the cramping. I am sure you were disappointed, but its good to hear that you finished the race strong and with a smile on your face.

I am sure that you will BQ the next time......Philly in November, maybe?
2007-10-10 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Earl - you totally rock!!!! 2nd marathon and you blew your PR off the map. I sympathize with you on the BQ but there will be other races for both of us.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Mohawk Hudson River Marathon Rss Feed