Georgia MultiSports Productions, LLC.
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 52s
Overall Rank = 661/684
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 20/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, sat on the couch and watched a little tv while eating a MOJO bar and drinking a diet Pepsi...who knew what kind of crap is on TV at 4:30am? Made a couple trips down to my car to load up and drove to the race.
Event warmup:

Well, does walking over a mile laden with all my tri gear count? That was one really irritating aspect of this race - that the parking was like forever away from transition (a factor that made my illness after the race even more icky). After hiking to the race site, I got marked & chipped - this is the first race I ever had to get that done BEFORE they let me in the T zone...nothing like balancing a bike while some nice man tries to find your thighs, in the dark. (I'm not saying I've got skinny thighs - I'm an athena, mind you - but I also wear a very modest tri-suit and the man didn't want to write my number of my knees.) After I got marked & chipped, I went and set up my transition...got to my rack early and took an end spot. Set up went fine. Went and got remarked - my skin eats Sharpie marker...its really weird. Went back by my bike and found Kaz there setting up next to my rack. Good stuff. Talked to her, ate another MOJO, went through my obsessive-compulsive check of my gear, and hung out until it was time to head down to the water.
Swim
  • 17m 5s
  • 366 meters
  • 04m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

This just sucked. I freaked out almost instantly. I made it to an intermediate buoy, hung on to try to calm down. Got going again, made it to a kayak, hung on to try to calm down. Made it to the first turn buoy and decided to heck with it, and went backstroke the rest of the way (which threw me way off course, since you can't sight on your back and probably pissed off some folks coming after me). Sad, sad, sad.

I kept thinking on the way in that I was close enough to touch the ground, but every time I tested, I went under. I was almost on the beach before I could walk it in. Then, just to torture me more, there was a long run (plodding walk in my case) up the beach and uphill on a sidewalk before the swim end timing mat...so my swim was only 80% as slow as it seems. ;)
What would you do differently?:

Practice OWS. Swim more in general. Learn a new safety stroke (besides back...my breast stroke is even worse than my free).

I hated every minute of this swim, but I'm ready to go out and try again.
Transition 1
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

Well, if they ranked transitions, I would be 9/22! Smokin!

Another long run (march?) from the swim end to the T zone. I walked it until I reached level ground, rinsed my feet, and then jogged to my bike. Switched my gear, drank some water with Nuun, and ate a little gel. I don't usually do this in T1, but I wasn't feeling quite myself and I took it more easily than I normally do.

Not lose it on the swim. :)
Bike
  • 1h 03m 12s
  • 13 miles
  • 12.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Well this sucked too. First, as I'm pulling out of transition, there are announcements about a bike accident which seemed to be a bad omen. (Sorry to hear it was you, Adollar - hope you're OK!) The leading men were coming in as I was in the first couple miles out. Most of the hills seemed to come in the first few miles, when I wasn't fully recovered from the swim. I just couldn't get into it, couldn't get settled, whatever, and then finally, my bike drops its chain, to top off the day. I was able to get it back on, and keep going, which I think makes me a rockstar. (I take comfort wherever I can find it.) Made it through the rest, and then as I was heading back into the park and the t-zone these idiot cars stopped in front of me and slowed me down. (Not so much, but it was irritating nonetheless.)

This is the worst time I've ever gotten on the bike. All I could think about was the fact that nothing bad could happen to me on the run. ;)

Not lose it on the swim. (This pretty much sums up my whole RR, but it bears repeating.) Also, maybe ride some more hills. Ride some more period.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Another good transition - only issue was running around the yahoos who were done with their race but milling around in transition without a care in the world...I took the rest of my gel & changed shoes (first tri with my Yankz laces - good stuff).

Nothing. I knew I wasn't going to die once I got to the run. I love to run.
Run
  • 34m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

WHOO WHOO! Who's that smokin' running girl? Oh, that would be me. OK, not so much, but definitely my best discipline of the day. And it was the most fun. I talked to the guys volunteering on the course. I talked to the water stop folks. I talked to this girl who had the cutest running skirt. I talked to LHablas who was spectating near the finish. I talked to these two women I was passing at the 3 mile mark - I challenged them to a "race to the finish" but they declined. Oh well...I ran it in by myself, which I'm sure will produce a hideous finish line photo, unobscured by other folks. :)

Maybe run a little faster. I know I can, but by the time I got there, I was mostly just laughing about the day and I couldn't take it seriously. I'd like to get my tri 5K's under 11min/mile (well, I'd like to get them under 10, but since my best standalone 5K is currently in the 28min range, I'm not going to be overly optimistic. Running - yeah, that's one of my goals for this off-season.
Post race
Warm down:

Well, the chip-removal lady was irritated with me, because I stuck a strip of masking tape around my ankle strap (after reading about the chip-losing incident on the tri-talk board)...

Wandered around looking for the t-shirt tent. You do realize, that's the only reason I finished. No no - that's not true. I finished because I willed myself to do it - the tshirt was just proof. Talked to some nice ladies in the food line. (Yep, that's me - chatty Cathy all of a sudden.) Talked to some guys in the food line who were in admiration of the "A" on the back of my leg...wanted to know how they could get one. I told them they were out of luck, as they had to be a larger sized female. ;) Went up and packed up my stuff and then went back to hunt for Kaz - fortuitously ran into her on the sidewalk (because in my haze, I never would have actually "found" her). We packed up our gear and then started the death march back to the cars...during which time I got very sick to my stomach and sat on the side of the road for a while (gear, bikes & all) with Kaz. She was great to wait with me. Lots of folks expressed concern, but at this point, I wasn't in the chatting mood anymore.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The SWIM from hell. The HILLS. The chain-dropping incident.

Event comments:

A good race. My first by GAMultisports (makes sense since the rest of my races were in VA). It started a little late, but the volunteers were great, the food & t-shirts are nice. My only complaint is the parking sitch, which wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't sick.

Last updated: 2007-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:05 | 366 meters | 04m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/22
Overall: 0/684
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Rectangle - out to buoy, turn right, to another buoy, turn right, back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:12 | 13 miles | 12.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/22
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: According to the race listing - rolling hills. That's a bunch of crap. Maybe that's what locals call them, but they looked monstrous to me. Way to little of the course was flat or even rolling. Too much hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:40 | 03.11 miles | 11m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/22
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, mostly downhill out, uphill back - another cruel trick.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-08 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: Emerald Pointe Triathlon

2007-10-08 1:51 PM
in reply to: #996866

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Emerald Pointe Triathlon

Super job, K!!  You did it and you sure write great RR's - funny stuff.

And thanks for stopping and chatting near Mile 3...

2007-10-08 2:51 PM
in reply to: #996898

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
You must have finished pretty near me because my time was around 1:58. Congrats!!!!
2007-10-08 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

Woohoo! Great report! I wish I had known you were out there freaking out as well in the water. I would have found you and we coulda talked each other in. Sadly, I had no coherent thoughts out in that water. I was screaming most of the time, but with my mouth full of water, it was mostly on the inside.

And see, I thought you found me after the finish, turns out you were just in the daze as well. Lucky we bumped into each other. =P 

2007-10-08 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran

you are such a ROCKSTAR in my book! and you write great RR's!

peeshaw on the OWS, YOU DID IT!  you, the person who didn't like pool swimming this time last year!

i covet your run time!  we should do some crazy relay, i'll do the swim, you run and we will make mindy do the bike! 

2007-10-09 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Great job...it's all about sucking it up when we're having a less than perfect day and finishing anyway.  It may not have been your fastest race but you should still be proud of it.

2007-10-09 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia

Great job and way to keep going.

2007-10-09 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
What a great race report, Kristen!  I'm glad you can find humor in the obstacles you had to overcome on Sunday.  You should be very proud of yourself for finishing (for the t-shirt ) and I am sure many people were smiling on that run course because of your chatty cathy tendencies!  Congrats on your first Georgia race
2007-10-09 11:52 AM
in reply to: #997796

User image

Master
Winder, GA
mosc11 - 2007-10-08 10:47 PM

you are such a ROCKSTAR in my book! and you write great RR's!

i covet your run time!  we should do some crazy relay, i'll do the swim, you run and we will make mindy do the bike

This totally caught me off guard! Yeah, I'll do it.

Ditto on the great race reports. When you write them we know exactly what was going on in your head during the race. It really gives a great first-person account of the race. I know I said it before but awesome job finishing when you had several obstacles to overcome! Sorry your introduction to Georgia races didn't go quite as planned......you'll just have to come back down in June next year and do the Iron Girl race (almost the same course) or EP again and show those hills who's boss!

2007-10-09 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
I think that was a GREAT job.  I am much more impressed by people that keep going when they are struggling than by fast people.  I was particularly impressed with your swim because that is dangerous.   I hope the OWS at Mary Alice helped a little bit although I am sure that it did not seem like it.  I have had trouble breathing on a couple of swims and it is not fun.  I think you did a great job.
2007-10-09 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
So many of us have been there during our first OWS. Mine was a total disaster. Trust me, it does get easier each time. Since it was your chain you had to fix, that makes you a Heavy Metal Rock Star! Great job on your first year of triathlons.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Pointe Triathlon Rss Feed