General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Napa, California
United States
EnviroSports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 17s
Overall Rank = 418/521
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 12/16
Pre-race routine:

Looking forward to a long weekend of camping, triing, wine tasting with my handsome husband home from the field for a bit....

we arrived on Thursday and camped at the lake. Tiny narrow camp spots with no shrubs or anything between spots, but at least it was nearly empty. Except the rock band up the hill that practiced all night. Friday we checked out the routes, and came back to see a big group of non-triathletes moving in to the spaces next to us. They told us how they were celebrating Charlie's 50'th birthday and we should feel free to come over. D was picking at his guitar and the guy was excited that he would jam with him..... well, their group keeps arriving and they are LOUD. music all night - not bad music, not an unwholsome family outing, but definately at cross purposes to mine! Bongo Charlie kept it up past midnight! Security came and didn;t tell them to be quiet - "sounds like you are having a good time!". They also felt no problem hollering across camp sites to each other. They might be nice people, but that whole "how do my actions affect others" question didn't pass their minds.
It was also cold! Derreck said I was climbing on top of him all night - usually he likes that!
got up, still dark - made coffee and breakfast (reheated some roasted potatoes and turkey pattie) and made out way to the race venue... wished we were louder people so they might notice that there are people not on their schedule..... damn, I was tired.

But - makes me want to post a poll - do you ever feel like you sleep enough the night before a race. With all the preparations and travel and such - who gets enought sleep.
Event warmup:

just tried to keep warm. did the chi-running warm up moves. Was interviewed for my video (D like's his technology - will have to find a way to post it)
Damn! i forgot my cowboy hat for the run!!!
Swim
  • 12m 53s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 05m 29s
Comments:

had to run up the hill to bike - D gave me my shoes. I had to sit down to pull suit off, but then I sit down to put my shoes on.... Had to run with bike for a long time before being allowed to mount and ride.
What would you do differently?:

bring sun screen.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 46s
  • 15 miles
  • 13.90 mile/hr
Comments:

felt really slow and I see that it was. roads were uneven - cracked and patched. people were riding all over to ride on the smoothest part of the road so it was hard to pass and be passed. The hills were rolling with a few that felt long. Saw about 8 women on the side of the road with bike issues, but was glad no one wrecked.
Derreck was watching for me to film me.... yells Allez Allez allez!!!

I think in concentrating on run training I didn't ride much at all in these last weeks - my travel schedule certainly didn't help.
Transition 2
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

ate a half a hammer gel. on my way out I saw a guy with a bottle and I asked - is that sun screen? he said "yes, someone dropped it" I said "gimme!" I sprayed my face and tossed it back to him....

bring sun screen
Run
  • 1h 01m 37s
  • 4 miles
  • 15m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Derreck again getting footage....

I probably ran at least 85-90% of coarse, but so dreadfully slow that everyone passed me. because I seated myself up close (because of the swim) I had alot of people to pass me. I was feeling rather discouraged when a pick up truck came slowly in with 3-4 ladies in the back holding their bikes. "At least I am not in the sag wagon" I said to myself and eveyone passing me....
I noticed tons of women who do not wear sufficient bra support - why is that? and once I focused on the underwear issues, I saw alot wearing panties under the tri-shorts. why???
Ok, now that I see my time and my pace, it is official - I walk faster than I run.

run faster if I only knew how?
Bring my cowboy hat!
Post race
Warm down:

as I finished Derreck, who was taking a video of this, yelled for me so I turned around and did a victory dance for the camera. I went through and tried to find D but could not for a while. went and got my t-shirt (no goody bag at this race). food consisted of a few bins of trail mix which I couldn't because it was hard stuff (the braces, you know) and bananas. There were little kids with their grubby hands in the trail mixes. I ate the bananas. Finally found Derreck - he went around the opposite way after I finished. Was sad not to meet up with the other BTers (Madkat and CADreamer, et al) - should have brought the cowboy hat as I said I would!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not used to bad roads, not riding enough the month before or training well enough. little sleep the night before.

Event comments:

The Putah Creek facility is a camp ground/vacation home place that is rather shabby. I think I expected anything with "Napa" in the name to be on the posh side. The landscape was pretty and weather was perfect.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:53 | 880 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/521
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless promotion
Course: waves were self- seated. I meant to go third but got swept away in the 2nd. I just kept swimming - was caught behind some people for a while and finally busted through. Choked on some water near the end but kept calm and just kept swimming. I know I said I felt fast, but not that fast. I don't think the coarse was the full distance. The winner was done in less than 10 minutes.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:29
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:04:46 | 15 miles | 13.90 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:01:37 | 04 miles | 15m 24s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: out and back on the same road as run. mostly up hill on the way out and down hill on the way in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-10-08 5:21 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri)

2007-10-08 5:53 PM
in reply to: #997414

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: RE: Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri)

Good RR... yeah don't understand lack of support for the girls... I'd bind mine if I could.  Keep workign on the running and someday the run will eb faster then the walk.

2007-10-08 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran

Great race report. Sorry you forgot the cowboy hat. I passed two women in cowboy hats and dusters in the 10-miler. They made me smile.

I don't have any advice about sleeping before the race. I never sleep well the night before races, but I don't sleep well at night when I'm not racing. 

Glad to see you made in on film.

2007-10-11 5:10 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

update: 

I am happy to say that the camp ground refunded the two nights we left early, so I am going to remove their name from my race report.

2007-10-13 12:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri) Rss Feed