United States
Georgia Multisports Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/66
Pre-race routine:

Friend who was also racing picked me up at 5:25am to get to the race. Drove about 35 min to get there. Ate half a Zone Bar on the way. Drank a lot of water the day before and in the morning.
Event warmup:

Pretty much nothing.
Swim
  • 09m 22s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was most pleased by the swim portion of this race. There were a lot of bodies in the water. I have never been in a race this big or had that many people in my heat. I think I planned my entry well. I waited about 10 sec for the aggressive swimmers to hammer it and then entered on the side. I stayed to the left side of all the swimmers and cut in a bit as I rounded the buoys. While I probably added a little time on, not having to thrash around in a group of people allowed me to stay the calmest I have ever been in a race. I ended up only being able to breath on my left side for most of the race. Everytime I tried to breath every third the water was really choppy to my left and made it harder for me to breath well. I just decided to swim how it felt best and get into a rhythm. I got bumped into a few times but nothing hard. I was really conscience of pushing my hands out during the stroke as to prevent me from getting kicked in the face. The best part of this leg was when I started to swim past some of the people in the heat before me. My watch said 8:30 when I stepped on shore. It was my exactly goal time for this race.
What would you do differently?:

I would probably be a little more daring and edge into the group more, shortening the total length of my swim. I would swim all the way to shore and not stop just because I could put my feet down. I would have liked to do more 3 stroke breathing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

My body felt uncoordinated and I couldn't get my suit off fast. I had been swimming without a suit all summer so I little practice getting in and out of my suit. It wasn't that bad. The hard part was the horrible little run up the big hill just to get to the transition station.

Remain calm. Perhaps invest in some cycling shoes where the clips are in the inside and I don't have to run like a duck through transition. I still think a wetsuit is worth the extra time in transition for me at this point.
Bike
  • 43m 50s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.79 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was MUCH hillier than I thought. This is the first race where I wore my clips. It helped so much with the hills but it really made me nervious when I was afraid that I could not get up enough momentum (sp) to continue climbing. At one point a car backed out in front of the person in front of me. We came to nearly a dead stop on a very tall hill. I was unsure if I could finish the climb but was afraid to do anything else because I would fall or have to walk my bike up the hill. About 5 or 6 people passed up as we tried to regain out speed. One time I was changing gears and it started slipping around. I finally found a gear that stuck and I just kept it in that until I had finished the hill climb because I was afraid the chain would come off if I kept trying to get it into the right gear. Such a novice sometimes! My goal was 18 mph and I almost made it.

I was pretty pleased with the course. Considering I had no idea how hilly the course was or have ever ridden in a race with so many people I am pleased with my time. I clearly need to work on shifting to increase my time and lessen my work level. I stayed in the big ring a lot. I should have hydrated better and maybe had a piece of protien bar while on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Ok- so took the time to put on socks. I had a sore starting on the top of my foot from last weeks workout and just didn't want the pain the whole run. Could have probably sucked it up and saved some time.

sockless???
Run
  • 28m 38s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Went flat on the run. My legs were tired from the bike and I was simply not as conditioned for this race as my last. I felt it. I thought my time was much worse than my goal. I had hoped to have a minimum of under 9mim. Last race was one big hill up and then straight down. I did 8:16 then. I think that I had a Gu on an empty stomach made me "sugar" crash. I felt like I was moving in slow motion. The fun stopped as soon as I hit the run and just never came back. No kick, no getting in the groove just sheer will not to stop moving.

I guess I would do a lot. I meant to eat a little at 45 min. Most people don't but I react to sugar strongly. I think a few bites of protein would have done me well. Having used less of my legs on the hills would have given me more energy on the run. I need to increase my endurance/ distance when I train. A combo of injury and only 6 weeks to train was not quite enough for me to reach all my goals this time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with a water bottle and decided not puke in front of my kids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditioning, my knee is still not great, needed to be willing to push through the pain more

Event comments:

I think for this large of a crowd the event went smoothly. I do not like that it is not a closed course. I saw at least one ambulance working on a biker and several water bottles spilled arcoss the course where there were more accidents. I also did not like the long walk from parking to the transition center.

Last updated: 2007-10-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:22 | 400 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/66
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: full sleeved wetsiut
Course: A rectangled shape swim- two bouys to go right around and then a longer leg going straight to the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:50 | 13 miles | 17.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/66
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills- certainly not flat!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:28:38 | 03.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/66
Performance: Below average
Course: Some what hilly- again not flat as discribed
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-08 9:37 PM

User image

Subject: Emerald Pointe Triathlon

2007-10-09 1:15 AM
in reply to: #997778

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Emerald Pointe Triathlon
Nice Job Grace!
2007-10-09 4:04 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Heh... Grace... I like it .  Good 'ol Bubba!

Great job out there, Courtney!!!  You rocked the swim you were so concerned about.  Yes, that whole big hill up to T1 is unfun.  Most people find that their T1 times at this race and Iron Girl are slower than the norm because of that (and lots choose to powerwalk it instead of run as I'm sure you saw).  I'm actually really impressed with your T1 time given the hill and the fact that you had to get out of a wetsuit.

The bike course does have a few big hills on it but you still made good time.  At least the hills make for fun descents .  We'll plan a hilly ride sometime in the near future.  Congratulations on making it through your first "clipped in" race without incident.

Sorry you weren't feeling it on the run but you still did very well!!!  Oh, and nice job of not puking in front of your kids... clearly that would be the only thing they'd want to tell everyone about the day if you had .

2007-10-09 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
Great job, Courtney.  I did this race last year and it was a little hilly at times on the bike.
2007-10-09 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA

Great Race Courtney! You did awesome and as Mila said, especially being clipped in the first time. My first race i almost bit in T2 becasue of my clips.

ANd i would never run sockless, you wanna talk about blisters!

Be proud and enjoy the Tri-High! you rocked it!

2007-10-09 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
You had a great race!  I wouldn't have guessed that you this is your 3rd race(I think you told me that).  You held nice paces the whole way and your transitions were quick- that T1 + the hill is awful at that race, so don't even count that!  The age group winners usually have at least 2:30 T1 times.   Awesome job, keep up the hard work!

2007-10-09 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

I was most pleased by the swim portion of this race.

Woohoo!  The fact that you stayed calm and kept your HR down through the swim had a positive effect on the rest of the race ... and hopefully chased away any swim demons you may have harbored.

Congrats on a race well done.

2007-10-09 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Heh, another "Courtney."  Excellent job, Courtney!  You did super - nice consistency across all three disciplines!
2007-10-09 11:06 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Excellent job! (Especially the swim).
2007-10-09 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Great Job!!!

I think you rocked it!!!  The run is NEVER fun.  That's what determination is all about and you aced it!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!

K

2007-10-10 8:17 PM
in reply to: #998086

User image

I will be ready better prepared for next year's race (hopefully that will always be the case).  I look forward to doing a course more than once. Since my first two races were in WA state I think that will be a little harder to do. What is your favorite Sprint distance race around ATL? 

2007-10-10 8:21 PM
in reply to: #998117

User image

I saw someone really hit the ground hard in T1 on my second race.  Having fallen like that, not in a race, I was very sympathetic and can't imagine how much harder it is to finish the race from that point on.  It did take me FOREVER to get my left foot clipped in during the race.  I mean almost a mile.  I have never had that before.  I thought I might have damaged the clips while running to the mounting area.  Ahh, I guess perfection will have to wait. Have a great evening!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Pointe Triathlon Rss Feed