Landry's Bicycles
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 46m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Check-in for the ride was from 6:15-7:15am, so I got up around 5:30, packed up my gear and headed out around 6:00am. After a quick stop for breakfast I pulled into the parking lot around 6:15. At this point it was pouring rain, so I sat in the car for a while eating my breakfast, as did the other riders. The parking was about 1/10 of a mile up the road from the shop, so after eating I grabbed my gear and walked over to the shop. By the time I got there, I was soaked to the bone - not a good way to start the day.

After checking in and getting ready to ride, they announced that the start was going to be postponed from 7:30 to 8:30 to let some heavy rains pass through. Just after 8:30 they started sending out waves of 15-20 riders, and I was in the 5th wave so we did not start until after 9:00am.
Bike
  • 4h 46m 19s
  • 71.65 miles
  • 15.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Since the ride was done in groups, the expectation was that folks would stay together for the duration of the ride, but could move from one wave to another at the rest stops. For the first few miles our group did well staying together, but then one of the riders started falling off the back on each hill. After a few hills, I decided to hang back and ride with her so that she would not have to ride by herself. After a few more miles though, I inadvertently lost her on a hill as we got swept up by the wave behind us. That was right about the time that we started on the Minuteman bike trail, so I cranked it up and time-trialed the length of the trail, catching my wave right near the end.

After winding our way through Cambridge and part of Boston, we came to the Landry's shop on Commonwealth Ave. The ride came down a side street and then made a U-turn onto the sidewalk in front of the store. Just as I made the U-turn someone stopped abruptly in front of me, and before I knew it I went down hard on the cement. My bike was okay (thankfully I brought my old bike) but I banged up my left knee pretty badly. This happened around mile 30 of the ride.

After a quick stop at the store for something to eat and to get my bike checked over after crashing, we were on our way towards Norwood. The route was fine, but along the way we hit another patch of heavy rains, so were were soaked even more by the time we arrived at the next stop. When we got to the store we had covered around 50 miles in total.

By this time my injured knee was throbbing and we were only half done with the ride, so I was considering packing it up and taking the sag wagon back to Natick. Just then, though, they announced that they were forming groups to ride back to Natick since we would not make it to Westborough by the cutoff time they established due to impending darkness. So, I decided to grit it out and ride, but my knee was screaming the whole way. The last leg was around 22 miles, and halfway through my front derailleur stopped working, presumably because it was full of grit from the wet roads. At first it would not shift down to the smallest chainring, and then when it finally did it overshifted and dropped the chain. I was able to get the chain back on, but from there on I often found myself stuck on the wrong chainring for the terrain.
Post race
Warm down:

When we finally arrived back at Natick I was soaking wet, cold, and in a constant state of pain from my injured knee. Thankfully, by then the rain had stopped and they had a post-ride BBQ with free beer waiting for us. I hung out a bit and had some food, then headed home.

Event comments:

With better weather, this ride has the potential of being a great fall ride, although the way they have it structured in groups slows the pace down a bit. I was disappointed about not doing the whole distance (105 miles) but given the weather and my crash I was happy to be able to finish 72 miles.

Last updated: 2007-06-03 12:00 AM
Biking
04:46:19 | 71.65 miles | 15.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: The course was varied, with some winding back roads, some busier roads and a stretch on the Minuteman bike path. The route went between the Landry's shops - Natick, Boston, Norwood, Westborough, then back to Natick.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-10-09 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Subject: Tour de Landry's

2007-10-09 10:00 AM
in reply to: #998186

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: Tour de Landry's
Sorry about the wreck. Bummer   Good job getting in 72 miles.
2007-10-09 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Scott..tough ride but builds character.....nice job!

We have a lot of those to do next year

Heal up...new mistress is calling for you to ride her 

2007-10-09 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Ouch!

Hey I didn't know there is a Landry's in Norwood - I used to live there.  Hey, too bad they've closed the one in Denver. 

Nice ride, despite the fall.  Way to go for finishing.  Hope your knee gets better soon.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Landry's Rss Feed