Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 00m
  • 26 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Pre-race
We flew up to Chicago on Friday morning. The flight was uneventful as was the day. We rented a car and headed over to the race expo to pick up our race numbers and timing chips. The expo was pretty unexciting. If you have seen one expo, you have seen them all. We then went to Jamie’s old high school to watch the homecoming football game. Made us feel old.
Saturday, slept in, had a wonderful breakfast with Jamie, returned the car and checked out a local tri store: Mission Bay Multisport store. Again, nothing really to purchase. I did scope out a cool transition bag, but I will buy it online. We also hit up the Garmin store (no news on an updated Forerunner 305) and NikeTown. The excitement for the day was when we arrived back at the hotel room Saturday afternoon to nap. Jamie could not find her phone. To me, in a city like Chicago, you are not going to physically backtrack so the phone is gone. Jamie called the tri store and the place where we ate lunch at. No dice. Then she called her phone and someone picked up. It had fallen out of her pocket in the taxi that we took from the tri store to NikeTown. She convinced the guy to swing by the hotel and pay him for his trouble. $30 later, she had her phone back.
Jamie read in the spectators guide that they only had 45K gels. Luckily, she took pity on my stupidity and she brought four - I planned to carry those with me. Rookie mistake #1 – do not rely on the race course for fuel. Jamie did awesome as she had her stuff well planned out. I figured I would restock on the course and 4 would be enough. Boy was I wrong.
Sunday we woke up at 6am. I showered and ate a banana. I drank some water and had a little Gatorade. We left and walked over to our neighbors hotel and then on to the race site. We checked our gear, went to the bathroom and then it was time to head over to the start corral. My God, were there a ton of people.

I had previously decided I would pace off the 4:15 pace group. At 9:44 pace, this seemed doable. If I felt really good, I could shoot for 4:00. If I felt bad, a 4:30 finishing time would still make me happy. Rookie mistake #2 – No respect for the distance. I honestly felt like this would be 2 half-marathons. If I ran the first at a conservative speed of 2:15 I could do the second in 2:00. After all, I ran a 2:15 half back in March with only 12 weeks of training. Since then, I rationalized, I have done a ton of training. Silly me.

Race
I made my way to the 4:15 pace group team and waited. After then national anthem, we were off. – WALKING. It was very crowded. We crossed under the starting line with 18 minutes on the clock. Just before the starting line we started running.
This must have been the national race of Mexico City. There was a tone of Spanish speaking folks at the race. Cool by me: I like women who speak a foreign language. Nothing wrong with 26.2 miles of sexiness.

Miles 1-3
These miles went pretty well. Although my HR was a little on the high side, I chalked it up to adrenaline. We hit the first water station and it was crowded. I lost the pace group ahead of me. At this point I thought I would reel them in over the next few miles. I could still see them ahead, but not close enough that I was actually running with them.
My Garmin was pissing me off since it kept on auto-pausing whenever we went under anything (I have since turned this feature off).

Miles 4-6
I still felt good but looking at my times after the fact, this is where I started to slow down. We hit the second water station and I asked about gels. I got a “what are you talking about” look back from the volunteer.
Ok, adjustment: take gel every other water stop (every 4 miles) and supplement with Gatorade. Even though I’ve never done this in training (the most in training was every 3 miles) and stopped drinking Gaterade due to high sugar content, somehow this made perfect sense to do this in the middle of a race. Duh.

At one of the water stops, I look up to see a girl dancing. I thought, she’s not that bad looking. Then I noticed her stomach was all hairy. Then I noticed it wasn’t a girl at all but a transvestite. Hmmm, guess we are in the gay part of Chicago. I think I had a little sick in my mouth over this one. I’m pretty sure getting out of there was my fastest mile.

Miles 7-9
Someplace between miles 7 to 9, I officially lost the 4:15 pace group from my sight. I never saw them the rest of the day. At this point, my goal changed to just stay ahead of the 4:30 pace group.

Miles 10-13
Still felt OK during this time – I could feel it in my legs and feet but nothing, I thought, that was different from my training runs. I was taking in water. I was walking only enough during the water stations to pick up some water. I hit the half marathon mark at 2:15ish. Still on track, I thought. I’m a little tired, but I only have to hang on until mile 20, then I can suck it up for a 10K. “I’m the man, baby!” was going through my head.

Miles 14-16
The bottom started to fall out here. Rookie mistake #3 – last long run (3+ hour) was 6 weeks ago – needs to be 4 weeks out max. My legs started to feel it at this point. Feet hurt. At this point, I started to walk the entire length of the water stations and run to the next one. These strategy worked and got me through to mile 19. We passed a bank I think at this point and the temp read 95*.

Mile 17-19
At this point in the race, the heat started to take its toll. I was drinking 2 cups of water, pouring 2 cups on my head, and then taking and extra cup of water with me on the run/shuffle. Oh, and mile 17 was the PowerGel station. I took a handful as I had one left at this point.
So here is the plan at this point, just make it the next 4 miles. At mile 23, it’s only 3 miles left and you can get ‘er done. I could still finish in 4:45. Outside my goal but still ok.

At mile 19, a police officer in the middle of the road was announcing that the race was canceled. WHAT? My first though was, oh no, has there been some kind of 9/11 incident. A few people started to make phone calls. There was a ton of miss-information.

I took note of the fact that I saw a few stretchers and folks being added by EMTs.

Miles 20-23
I made it to mile 22 shuffling along (albeit at a blistering 15 min pace). We were told to just make to the next aid station and we would be bussed back in. Then we were told to keep going – we could finish. The 30K timing mat looked turned off – no sound or time on the clock. I started talking to a few people as I walked along. My legs and feet hurt bad at this point. Then I started to think about Jamie behind me. Walking along in the sun, I suddenly realized how hot it was. I got worried for her and hoped that she was alright. I sat down for a minute to rest my legs. If the SAG bus had come along at that point, I would have gotten on it.

I tried to run a couple of times, but after about mile 20, the mood of entire race had changed. Some spectators started to pack it up. I saw a few women crying. I realized at this point that every medical tent I had passed today was full. Spectators were handing out water, using hoses, anything to cool people down. It didn’t register to me how bad it was until this point. There were too many people walking to run; absolutely no one to pace off of. I talked with a few people here and there. The more I walked, the more I knew that running any part of the rest of this race was out of the question. My legs tightened up. I sat down once or twice to rest them.

Miles 23-26.2
Death march: that was this felt like and looked like. A pacer from the 4:45 group and I talked for ½ a mile. She asked me how my day was going, present condition not withstanding. I said I had 16 miles of a great race. We talked about what the marathon is really about: doing the training and getting all the positives from that, taking the day in, not worrying about the uncontrollables, and the lessons learned for my first marathon. Her parting words were that I had a really good attitude and lucky to have my positive perspective right in the middle of what was going on.

I hooked up with another lady from Kansas City and we talked for the rest of the way in. We both tried to run but we were done at this point. I learned about her training and who else was doing the race with her (her sister-in-law and brother-in-law: SIL got bussed back in and BIL DNFd). She said this may be her first and last marathon; I hope not.
We walked all the way to the last 500 meters. I could see the finish line and it said 5:57. I asked my new friend (never did ask her name) if she could run to the finish line and we could break 6 hours clock time. We shuffled in with a minute to spare.

FINISHED!
I started to choke up with emotion. I was worried about were Jamie was. I was tired, sore and done. I wished my KC friend the best and went to gear check. I called Paul and then hobbled over the where they were. I was happy to see Jamie and Jess. I sat down for a few minutes. As I took in some water and few bites to eat, I learned that Jamie was rerouted and only finished 18. She seemed perfectly fine with that. Jess was also rerouted and only finished. She was less than happy. I think this is her 3rd marathon. Her first (Nashville), she had a broken foot before she started but still finished. The second was Disney and she did alright. I know she wants to be faster and this did not help her confidence.

Post-Race
I struggled back to the hotel. Jamie, who felt and looked much better than I did, went out and got us some protein shakes. After a shower and a check of BT, I tried to lay down and catch a nap. I was shivering (which I normally do after long runs). Other than feeling like I slogged through 26 miles, the only other ache to note was that my toenails hurt. I could not even put sheets over them. Strange feeling. I eventually did get a 30 minute nap.
Later we went to Smith & Wollensky’s steak house. I tried to be cordial but I know I wasn’t that much fun. I went to sleep as soon as we got back. It was a really weird sleep. I was disgustingly sweaty and woke up a couple of times.

Next Day
I woke up at 6am with no problems. We got ready and left for the airport. Walking is not a struggle – legs just feel like they got a workout (no different then the first few times you do squats). Jamie and I flew back to Atlanta, then I had to turn around and fly to NY after a quick bag change at the car. I even had to jog a bit to catch my flight so I guess my legs still work.

Retrospective and go-forward plans
• I have a new respect for the marathon. It is decidedly not 2x a half-marathon.
• I really like the idea of pace groups. At Disney I will sign up for the 4:45 pace group.
• I do not regret anything that happened on race day. I’m really not mad at the race director. No mater what I read, it was the right decision. Maybe they could have had water stops at every mile, but otherwise, not much they could have done. (note: now that I have read some newspaper articles with interviews of the race director, I hope he gets fired. He is now blaming the runners for drinking too much water and that’s why they had issues. What a tool!).
• I overheard several locals saying this race had gotten too big. I agree. I signed us up because of all the positives: crowd support, flat course, great city. Those things are still true. There are just too many people running the race. It is just like the Peachtree in Atlanta.
• I am so proud of Jamie for going the distance. I really hope that this is not her last attempt. I know she can finish a marathon.

Post race

Last updated: 2007-10-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 26 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-09 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Chicago Marathon

2007-10-09 11:18 AM
in reply to: #998578

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon
Awesome race report....great insight into what it was really like out there.  It's always humbling when life gives us a big smackdown and reminds us about what's really important.  Great job on an incredibly tough day.
2007-10-09 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great job and great RR, Jonathan.  You and Jamie did great!!  Loved the "retrospective" part of the report - nice summary and way to keep it positive!
2007-10-09 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

You did a great job under very difficult circumstances! It was really good to be able to read how you felt through the race, I don't think you can fully appreciate a marathon until you do one (can you imagine doing that AFTER getting off a 112 mile bike?!). I think you have the right attitude about this race and I'm REALLY happy you're planning on doing another one. I hope Jamie decided to do another marathon too.

Too bad I'm not doing Disney, we have a very similar goal pace for the next marathon!

2007-10-09 1:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats, Marathon Man! You experienced some awful conditions for a marathon and still made it across the finish line. I've got to give you huge, huge props for that. I ran Chicago once - I definitely didn't enjoy the crowds there but I know many others that love the size of that race. It will be interesting to see if they decide to restrict the registration numbers next year. I sure hope Disney goes on without all the chaos this race had. January in Florida can be hot and humid, but let's hope its not 90 + 86% humidity. Don't make any decisions on pace groups for Disney yet...Wait till you've done a good bit of your training and then determine goal pace based on your zone 2 heart rate pace. From my experience your last long (3+ hour) run should be about 3 weeks out. I've even known some to do their final 20-miler two weeks out and still have a good marathon.
2007-10-09 2:07 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

Wow!  Congrats on finishing!  Sounds like the race was one for the record books.

Plus, I take it you're doing Disney (by the other comments I've read) - so you'll be prepared just in case.  Last year @ Disney, the temp got into the mid to upper 80s and they started pulling people off the back of the course b/c they ran out of water. 

Did you at least get some Deep Dish pizza afterwards?  :-)

Anyway - Congrats!!!!!

2007-10-09 2:07 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Now that is one kind of report that I like to read.  Someone who provides some "insider" information.  Very cool!  THANKS!
2007-10-09 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Congrats on your completion of what sounds like a grueling race.  The more I read, the more I admire those who gutted it out.  While also understanding those who felt it necessary to drop out.  Way to hang in there! (nice RR also).
2007-10-09 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA

WOW! What a day. I am very impressed with your determination and passion for the sport. Sounds like the right call was made but how frustrating to expereince that. I am glad you and Jamie were not injured or need medical attention. And i can appreicate the difficulty of this distance. I too am planning on 26.2 next year and it is good to have this perspective.

Great race report!

2007-10-09 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
Way to push through and finish a crazy event on a crazy day!
2007-10-09 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job on finishing that race. You really gutted it out on a historically tough day, and finished the distance when lots of people were leaving via the ambulance. Congrats! Very compelling RR, makes me glad I pushed my full to early next year. Hope the recovery goes well.

2007-10-09 4:08 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
I believe that after the disappointment melts away from having to deal with the craziness of the day that you will look back at completing this race as one of your favorite endurance sport accomplishments ... 'cause if you can struggle through the mis-steps of that race, then you can tell yourself in future races that you can roll with whatever comes your way.
2007-10-09 5:16 PM
in reply to: #999391

User image

Master

brian - 2007-10-09 4:08 PM I believe that after the disappointment melts away from having to deal with the craziness of the day that you will look back at completing this race as one of your favorite endurance sport accomplishments ... 'cause if you can struggle through the mis-steps of that race, then you can tell yourself in future races that you can roll with whatever comes your way.

Thanks brother.  I'm actually not (and never was) disappointed.  I set my goals high to a fault so I'm used to falling short.  The Ninja and I talked about this on the way home.  She would rather set a low goal and blow it out (like just finish the Marathon).  I would rather set a high goal (like sub-4 hour) and come up short.  My philosophy is to dream bigger than you can ever imagine.

Another thing about Sunday's race: one of the reasons I got into this sport was to have stories to tell people.  Chicago 07 will be a story I will be telling people for a long time.

2007-10-09 6:56 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Awesome job Jonathan.  I like not only your insight about the race, conditions and what went down but also the "rookie mistake" insights that will undoubtedly not only help you in future events but also help rookies who have yet to undertake 26.2 but now have a better idea of how to do it.  You rock... but you already know that.
2007-10-09 7:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job! Super tough conditions, but you made it through plus a few new friends. That was the first Chicago Marathon that I can remember making Sportscenter. (Even thought it was for a bad reason.)
2007-10-09 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA
I'm really glad that you were so detailed, especially about not giving the distance the proper respect.  I had begun to think that the MCM wouldn't be so bad.  If a marathon is tough on Jonathan22, zaichikmiller may just cry on the course!

2007-10-09 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Great job on a really tough day!! Congratulations!
2007-10-09 11:14 PM
in reply to: #999884

User image

Master

zaichikmiller - 2007-10-09 9:13 PM I'm really glad that you were so detailed, especially about not giving the distance the proper respect.  I had begun to think that the MCM wouldn't be so bad.  If a marathon is tough on Jonathan22, zaichikmiller may just cry on the course!

Big Cat,

If anyone can do this distance, it is you.  I have seen you do more feats of wonder than any other human being including Chris Angle and David Cooperfield combined. 

2007-10-10 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great race and report! I was definitely out there with you..minus the sweat This being your first and you having the ability to push through all of the adversity is an accomplishment. The day brought on some tough challenges and you overcame them all to finish. Congrats. Also, I didn't respect the distance my first one either..a common mistake but never to be made again.
2007-10-11 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
A very good read Jonathon. I think what drives a lot of us in this sport is how much learning we always continue to do. You seem to take in all the information thrown your way and make good use of it. Keep pushing along, and you will have your perfect day soon. The 'marathon' has kind of gotten watered down in the internet age. The more we see it written, and talked about, the more it becomes just another race.. I always try to keep things in perspective. If I fail to do that, then I am reminded, usually harshly.. like a really bad 18 mile long run last week. 26.2 miles is always an amazing feat. Even moreso on a day like you experienced. Congratulations on your first, and welcome to the club. Hang the medal high, because it was well earned.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Marathon Rss Feed