United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 26m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 75/76
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 and had some Sustained Energy. Nibbled on a bagel on the way to the race site
Event warmup:

Ran across the dam and back for a run warm-up and had 2 short dash swims for a swim warm-up.
Swim
  • 39m 10s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

There should be a "you have to be kidding me" choice under the drafting button. I was over a minute faster than last year so I can't complain. I was happy with not getting off course this year. I was also very happy with the new QR wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Swimming is all technique developed by repetition. The only way I will get faster is getting better at the technique and lots more repetition.
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

With the amount of time it takes to run up the hill from the water (about 30 seconds) I'm not sure I can get this below 3 minutes and get out of a wetsuit.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 24m 21s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

This was 2 minutes faster than last year but I felt like it should have been better. Same as Mission Man it took 7-8 miles for the legs to feel right and there are lots of hills at the beginning of this course. I was getting passed right and left. I don't know which HRM to believe either but I suspect the HR was somewhat high after trying to push through those early hills.

Try to figure out why my legs are so dead coming out of the water.
Transition 2
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Close to 30 seconds of this was waiting on a guy to get out of the way at the timing mat and asking one of the volunteers if there was a Port-a-Pot on the run course. Of course she didn't have a clue so I just took off.

Not much.
Run
  • 1h 16m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where everything blew up. I was on track to hit 3:05 even if it took me an hour to run the 10K. At mile 1 I was at 9:30 and soon thereafter things went downhill. I really do not know what happened. I started to get the feeling and knew the HR was out of control so I had to walk to mile 3. Finally found a Port-a-Pot as well and felt like I was going to pass out in the thing. I did not eat anything solid before the race but I have done that before. Maybe I went too hard on the bike or maybe I was feeling the effect of being sick 1 week earlier. I know I was affected by that bug until probably Tuesday but felt great all week. I ran most of the way out from mile 3 but still had to walk some of the hills when the pass-out feeling would get too strong. I was going to finish the race if I had to crawl in.

I don't know anything specific but something has to change for me to keep racing. FOrtunately there is only room for improvement.
Post race
Warm down:

Did not feel too bad at the finish but within a couple of minutes I was feeling like I was going down. I finally got a Pepsi and sat down beside some other Triad Tri team folks. This was the most strange thing I have ever felt. I could look at people and it was like they were covered by this white sheen. And no, I don't do that type of thing any more. It took me some time to be able to get up and pack everything up. The walk back to the car was brutal and I just had to keep moving or else fall over.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trying to go too fast maybe? I need a coach.

Event comments:

I still can't rate this race above White Lake but it sure is close. I do wish they could set at least 1 Port-a-Pot outside of T2 but that's probably wishful thinking. This is a good but challenging race and a typically well done SetUp event.

Last updated: 2007-10-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:10 | 1640 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/76
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultrajohn
Course: Weird shaped triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:24:21 | 24.85 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Arm unit - 173 avg Bike unit - 159 avg
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:16:16 | 06.21 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: REALLY hilly
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-09 11:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2007-10-09 4:03 PM
in reply to: #998663

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
Your run sounds similar to mine.  I think the humidity was more a factor that we gave it credit for going into the race.  Sorry I was not able to find you to speak.  Hope you're feeling better (if it was the bug and not the humidity)  Look forward to seeing you at White Lake in May.
2007-10-17 8:08 PM
in reply to: #998663

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon

Ok...I'm really slow getting to read this, so forgive me if you will. 

I agree with your swim comments - especially on the longer stuff.  You can grunt through a sprint distance and turn out a decent time with an inefficient stroke.  Its when it gets longer where technique and efficient stroke are going to really matter.  And if you're thinking IM, its mandatory.  You knocked a min off of your time.  That's pretty significant!  Be downright religious about doing drills every single time you swim.

You knocked off 2 more mins off the bike.  That's super!  Are those HR's you are listing?  173 and 159?  Did you wear 2 HR monitors?  I'm such a pathetic rider, I don't feel right giving any advice here other than build a big base.  Get your LSD volume up to 50-60 miles for an Oly distance and around 80-100 for a HIM and once you have a nice base throw in some intervals/spin ups.  

And lastly - the run.  From the symptoms you're describing, I'm leaning toward nutrition/electolytes/hydration.  I'm sure that being sick a week before the race didn't help here either.  What all did you do for nutrition and electrolytes?  For the oly distance you can probably get away with a gel every 30 mins and electrolytes on the hour.  You wrote that it was around 70 F - which is still kind of warm, but not super bad.  If you saw you HR drift up quite a bit, I'd lean more towards dehydration since your blood volume is being reduced.  It certainly sounds like you gave it everything you got - which is something to be proud of.  You didn't leave anything on the course.  You knocked time off of 2 of the 3 events. 

I'd like to do some training runs/rides/swims with you and Dan in the off season and see if we can swap stories and check out one another's form.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed